• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap ring advice

Hi everyone,

I'm going to have the snap ring update done at acura but I'm wondering, should I even bother trying for any goodwill from acura corporate. Ive been trying but getting the its 20 years old answer and that "at some point i have to assume responsibility for the problem". The dealer is going to help a bit but im annoyed this manufacturing problem was not officially addressed by the manufacturer. The car is a 92 with 40000 miles. I'm 3rd owner and have all service records, the original owner had clutch done at 34,000 miles in 2000. I feel it should have been done then but wasn't. When I bought the car in 2006 had a dealer in the area where the car was go over the car and they made no mention of it. I feel like they swept it under the rug until I found the service bulletin on prime.

What do you guys think? Should I even try or just pay the 2G's to have it taken care of?

Serious replies only please... the fact my car is sick is enough

Last edited:
Talk to Acura's "Dealer Representative". Call the dealer and ask for his name and number. If there's anyone that can get you satisfaction it is this person. Good Luck!

If you bought the car knowing it was in snap ring failure range, then you should be fully responsible for the repairs. The car is almost 20 years old and you chose to gamble and lost.

I understand and wasn't being pompous about it. When I bought the car I thought and was wrong thinking the snap ring was a 91 issue and didn't look back at it until recently.

It is my fault I understand but I'm looking for answers on what to do now not what I shoulda woulda.

I know its hard to predict but will the 93-010 update be enough to fix the problem and avoid any other related ones? Or should i go rebuilt or new unit?

Last edited:
Ok, I see better now. Your best bet is to have SOS or someone source you a new tranny case. It sucks that it happened, but the snap ring is just one of a very few items to give the NSX a problem. Good luck.

Problem with the snap ring is it may never have failed, so expecting a previous owner to have a new case installed when the clutch was replaced is asking that owner to do a repair that he may never need.

As the owner of two snap ring failure cars, one of which just broke on my current 92 with 50K miles, I wouldn't have repaired it until it broke as it did on mine. That said, I went with a new rebuilt tranny from SOS, and also bought the SOS Sports Clutch to be installed all at the same time. It sucks that it cost $XXXX amount of money, but in the end you'll have a virtually brand new trans, new clutch and probably enjoy the car for a long time.

I recently bought my 92 with snap ring symptoms. I purchased the snap ring fix kit from dali which included a new transfer case, snap ring, and a bearing (which i didnt end up using) and had my brother install it. Good as new now.

Guys,

Thanks so much for the speedy responses and for putting yourself in my shoes because it seems many of you have been there. I have to decide by tomorrow so i appreciate it.

So I guess its:
Forget about any corporate good will, cars too old just take what the dealer can give you.
and
The upgrade is ok but a core replacement from SOS is whats good.

Last edited:
The upgrade kit is just fine. The difference with the SOS rebuilt trans is they replace any worn parts and replace all the syncos with new and balance and blueprint according to them. It is virtually like a brand new transmission. Plus, there is no real down time. I guess the car is already down since you can't drive it, but they ship the trans to you, then you ship your trans back to them for the core charge refund. I had to make a decision about the clutch. I was planning on using my original clutch since my car only had 50K miles, but I decided to go with the SOS clutch just for peace of mind.

Guys,

Thanks so much for the speedy responses and for putting yourself in my shoes because it seems many of you have been there. I have to decide by tomorrow so i appreciate it.

So I guess its:
Forget about any corporate good will, cars too old just take what the dealer can give you.
and
The upgrade is ok but a core replacement from SOS is whats good.

Are the any chances of there being damage to the tranny with the snap ring broken if there are no symptoms?

Another option, not yet mentioned, is for you to upgrade to a 6 speed tranny.
I bought a used one with low miles from SOS about a year ago for my 92 daily driver and I am very pleased with it.
Good luck

Honda manufactured, sold and warrantied their top of the line car with a manufacturing defect. Warranty is a selling tool for the manufacturer. Had they bit the bullet and recalled the cars with the known defect---they would have had a greater cost and perhaps bigger negative news. So, they did the minimum and many of us inherit the problem. Should we known every possible defect on a car we buy---I don't agree with that thought especially on a car that cost $60K in 91--!! So bitch to the dealer, the factory rep, etc. you have nothing to loose.
In Feb my clutch was upgraded to SOS sport. In March my snap ring was in 13 pieces. (115,000 miles) Source1 in Cinci did the snap ring R&R. Sure wish the problem was identified in Feb--but--was told that there really is no easy way to detect until it happens.
Options-1--upgrade to 6speed and new sport clutch. You will love it. Most $$$. Option -2- buy the SOS rebuilt 5speed and new clutch---good to go $$. Option-3- have your original trans R&R locally with new clutch $.
Options 1&2 cost the most and have the least potential issue once done. Option 3---the R&R of your trans with the Honda Snap ring kit success will depend on the skill of the mechanic. Honda did not want their mechanics doing this under warranty --they instructed them to replace the transmission. So--sorry for your problem--welcome to reality--good luck on which ever way you go.

I would still try for Goodwill on this also...nothing ventured nothing gained!

I got Acura to goodwill me a new case for FREE in 2008. Mine hadn't failed either. I would sure as hell at least ask.

:smile:

Maybe I should ask Acura. I purchased my 91 in March 2008. The case VIN shows to be in the range. I asked the previous owner who worked at a Honda dealership about the snap ring issue. He said it had been repaired but didn't have any documentation supporting it. He did have the clutch replaced at 37,750 . I purchased it at 38,500 miles. It currently has ~45,800 miles. With no issues, but I know it is a gamble.

But if I could get Acura to goodwill me a new case that would be awesome.

Actually, I asked the service manager about the snap ring issue. He didn't have a clue, looked in his computer and didn't find anything either. I would have to take in the service bulletin and show it to them (yes, I have a copy of the service bulletin).

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Actually, I asked the service manager about the snap ring issue. He didn't have a clue, looked in his computer and didn't find anything either. I would have to take in the service bulletin and show it to them (yes, I have a copy of the service bulletin).

That's all I did. I printed out the TSB from prime, handed it to the service mgr. Three days later the service mgr called and said the Regional guy approved the part for free if I paid the labor. It took 6 days to get the case and 3 more for them to do all the work. They even gave me a free TL loaner for the whole time.

Also of note, if the snap ring was fixed at 37k, Acura warrants it for 100k. It says so on my receipt and they should be able to look it up. Although to be honest, I'm guessing the guy was lying to you because if he had done it right the first time, he would have saved the paperwork.

For what it is worth, I bought my 91 NSX in September and found that one horn had broken off the snap ring when I had it inspected AFTER THE SALE. I know, I know... Anyway, I had the transmission replaced with the short gears from SOS. Somehow, between parts and labor, I managed to spend about $7k. Here's the thing...no regrets. The short gears are worth it. I am actually happy that the snap ring failed, the car is that much better. If you are going to do anything to the car, consider the short gears.

I had a snap ring failure in my '92 a few years ago and when I inquired with the dealer, their first statement was that it likely would not be covered due to the age of the car AND indicated that the "repair ' would likely be a whole new transmission! Since I was able to have the job done by Larry B, I didn't pursue dealers' options any further.

part of the goodwill process is your relationship with your dealer, next they go to bat for you with the regional rep who can grant many wishes...no harm in working the system.

Back