• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

so, how was the 1st half of the year?

i'm curious how your businesses did yoy, h1 and q's? any serious + / - trends showing? how's the pipe for h2 looking?

(not interested in the name of your company, etc.)

We nearly folded up in H1, and then got bought out by a large conglomerate. I am in operations, so I have net been affected as of yet, but our sales team watched their entire pipeline go down the tubes. One of my buddies lost a years worth of work all in the space of a week.

ouch

Last edited:
We're on track for a fantastic year. Our backlog is growing every quarter and while we folded up one division and so our revenue will be lower, our profit margin should be higher. I believe they're implementing a bonus program this year for people besides the CEOs and VPs, so that's nice as well.

Bottom line: Being in the oilfield equipment business is REALLY lucrative right now.

Trading is doing great, still doing 10-15% a month in gains, My company I work for is doing okay, cutting 4% or 16k jobs trying to cut costs 1.1 billion Euro.

Great year here, sales are increasing, reoccurring revenue is increasing, we've hired several new developers and sales people and just completed a round of VC.

interesting spread of responses (no pun intended toward the fertilizer post :) pretty much the same thing i'm seeing from my friends and clients.

:biggrin: to those who are doing well and :frown: who are (currently) on the down side. (thx for the feedback, btw)

Oh great Hal thanks for bringing this up...

I live off my interest and dividends. Now do you feel my pain.:eek:

Will work for honey. :biggrin:

Good question.

I'm a banker so it's a double edged sword for me. While I'm not at all excited for my customers (many of whom are feeling the impact of the economy right now), any downturn is almost like job security because someone has to manage the portfolio whether its doing well or not. Interestingly enough, we're actually hiring right now in anticipation continued stress on our portfolio.

But trust me... I wish the outlook were better right now.

Good question.

I'm a banker so it's a double edged sword for me. While I'm not at all excited for my customers (many of whom are feeling the impact of the economy right now), any downturn is almost like job security because someone has to manage the portfolio whether its doing well or not. Interestingly enough, we're actually hiring right now in anticipation continued stress on our portfolio.

But trust me... I wish the outlook were better right now.

we are anticipating more distress opportunities, however crossing fingers in hopes of no landmines in our own portfolios of deals from "the days of yore."

Note: we deal in Bank Debt and Bonds...

Last edited:
Oh great Hal thanks for bringing this up...

I live off my interest and dividends. Now do you feel my pain.:eek:

Will work for honey. :biggrin:
oh, sorry :)

otoh, i'll see that you get some twobigcats Bee My Honey when we harvest in the fall :)

the financial / banking markets have sure taken a hit over the past year, but like all + / - cycles, i'm sure there are more than a few bright & experienced folks who were able to see around corners and position themselves to succeed in times like these.

thx again for the feedback and (of course) more info is of interest / appreciated.

Only up 2% so far, and my price change was more like 5% in addition to doubling my payroll. No new toys for this old boy.:(

Honestly, I've never been busier.

Stress seems to bring people to me. :redface:

Our corporate sales are robust. Heavy demand...so much in fact that we can't keep up. Our retail customers are the toughest, however a few key moves this year have kept us very competitive. Needless to say, our stock has dropped about 6 points this year, which isn't terrible in the grand scheme of things.

Back