• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So, how'd you like the last 6 days of rain?

Loveland, CO and Trabuco Canyon, California
How was the rain at your home? Crazy? More than ever before in a short period? Just heavy? Any bad side effects from it?

I'm a born and raised So Cal girl but have only lived in my Orange County home for close to 3 years, so I don't know about normal for this area but, damn, what a beating my house took! Woke up this morning to a landslide on the hillside that drops away from the back of my house. Scary. :eek: I called the HOA and the landscape crew for the association came and put plastic on the slide, even though it's not HOA property. I'm very thankful that they did! I hope the rest of the rainy season mellows out.

IMG_0399Landslide.jpg

IMG_0401Leftsidelandslide.jpg

^To the right.

IMG_0403Landslide.jpg

^To the left.

IMG_0409Firstplastic.jpg

^The first placement of plastic sheeting this morning.

IMG_0424Moreplastic.jpg

^More plastic sheeting in the afternoon. The crew was out in the morning and had other homes to take care of, too.

IMG_0434Moreplastic.jpg

^More plastic sheeting to the left, this afternoon.

How was the rain at your home?

I live in the same arrangement as you and I was hoping for a massive landslide. 3 trees are blocking my beautiful view of the golf courses :biggrin:

besides the unfortunate side effects of the rain, i've got to admit that I loved it. In fact, i loved all the rain we received this year. Only because this year (2010) will be full of great tasting California wine :)

I love the wet weather. Don't think I could handle Seattle type wet weather but this is a good change of pace. Besides we need all the water we can get!

I love the rain when it means lots of this stuff...

58044_470186551587_571051587_5710089_7313288_n.jpg

After only 2 days of snowfall... It still took me 3hrs to dig out my truck this past wknd. This was the view when I opened the front door. You can see the top of the antenna mast which stands about 6'5"

Simply fabulous for the avocado and lime farm we have. A wonderfully deep soaking. Mother nature gave a us a free "infinity" pool as well. :wink:

After only 2 days of snowfall... It still took me 3hrs to dig out my truck this past wknd. This was the view when I opened the front door. You can see the top of the antenna mast which stands about 6'5"

Regan,

I don't know the westside (LA) got so much snow:tongue:

dito :), snow will look good this year. Aside from that, I hated the rain. The nsx was on jack stands till I fixed the broken stud and got the wheel lugs. Then It sat for another few days till the rain stopped. Working at UPS also sucks cause I work out side and paper work and water dont mix. I like the rain, but not this much rain lol.

^Is that Mammoth? I know Big Bear got rain in the beginning. My next door neighbor just called and said she's heading there and they only have about 6" of snow.

She also told me that there are a bunch of men on the hillside behind my house using buckets to move the mud back up the hill. I'm in Vacaville, CA at my daughter's until Christmas night so I can't take photos. Darn it.

Patty,
We got a ton of rain on this side of the mountains, but other than minor roadside erosion, I haven't heard of any mudslides like your place. It looks like the slide is in the area by where you had the water leak last summer; probably not related as the summer water leak should have helped the ground cover grow.

In the 6+ days of rain, we got about 10-15 inches here. It seems unusual to me. In my (almost 5) years here including a couple of El Nino years, I'm used to heavy rains for a hours to a day followed by sun. I'm ready for dry now, although the forecast calls for more rain.

Miner

Miner, that leak I had earlier in the year was going straight into the yard drainage pipes and shooting out into the gutter as if I had turned a hose on. It ended up being an abandoned sprinkler line pipe, under the patio, that had the end cap come off, or so we think. The pipe was cut where we could get to it and a new cap was put on, which stopped the problem. I still don't understand the drainage under the patio and how the water was going straight into it. It was coming out clean and full force, not like it was soaking through mud. Turns out, this mudslide was caused by over 9 inches of rain, in less than 48 hours, pounding on the hill.

I was in Vacaville for three days and got home Saturday night to see the entire hillside on the other side of my wall, all the way down to the V-ditch, covered in plastic sheeting. I sure want to talk to the HOA and/or landscape folks to find out what the plan is. I know we don't want any more landslide but will they try to put the soil back? :confused:

More photos to come.

patty, yesterday i took my family and extended family for a drive through live oak and santiago canyons. The amount of mud flow was amazing. as we couldn't drive up live oak (road closed) we came up el toro and looked up the hills at portola and thought i saw another house on your side with the hill behind covered up. i would bet that they will keep yours covered through feb (the rainy season) then focus on adding final dirt right after.

hope you had a wonderful christmas.
tom

^Tom, I'll have to check out my next door neighbor's hill to see if they have plastic too. After I told Victor about my problem, and he came to see, he then discovered the beginning of the same thing over his back wall.

The hillside slide behind my house is now encased in plastic sheeting. It was done while I was at my daughter's, on Friday, and I'm very impressed. With the sandbags strung on ropes and the ropes staked at the hilltop, it looks like these guys know exactly what they're doing. :fingerscrossed:

These two photos were taken on Wednesday, 12-22-2010, after we received at least 9 inches of rain in 48 hours...

IMG_0402RightsideLandslide.jpg

IMG_0403Landslide.jpg

These three photos were taken today, Sunday, 12-26-2010...

IMG_0518101226Plastichillside.jpg

IMG_0509101226Plastic.jpg

IMG_0511101226Sandbagstrings.jpg

I totaled rainfall amounts for the 6 days between 4 PM Thurs, Dec. 16th and 4 PM Wed, Dec. 22nd, using data in the OC Register:

Rancho Santa Margarita: 14.70"
Trabuco Canyon: 14.25"
Lake Forest: 11.18"
Mission Viejo: 9.11"

In one 24 hour period, from 4 PM Tues, Dec. 21 to 4 PM Wed, Dec. 22 these were the rainfall amounts:

Rancho Santa Margarita: 5.10"
Trabuco Canyon: 5.00"
Lake Forest: 4.00"
Mission Viejo: 3.25"

Last edited:
Back