• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

So I Wound up not getting an NSX...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to thank everyone with all of their really great help in my last sportscar decision. i really liked the 02 NSX-T, but could'nt shake its lack of interior sophistication. Also the power was needing forced induction to quench my thirst for acceleration and speed.

I researched the FX400/500 turbos, but it seems that the 500 only works on 3.0 MT cars? Either way, its what...$15k for a reliable set up?

Oh well, might as well join 'em....

Attachments

• IMG_5785.JPG
    IMG_5785.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,088
  • IMG_5791-1.JPG
    IMG_5791-1.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_5794.JPG
    IMG_5794.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 1,487
Darn, you beat me to it. I saw about 2 of them yesterday, but about 10 regular Porsche 911 Carerra within 1 day.

But i still love them.

ANYTIME said:
Nice! I saw about 3 of them today :biggrin:

ANYTIME said:
Nice! I saw about 3 of them today :biggrin:

Could you even make out the taillights to see if it was a reg carrera or a turbo all the way back there? :biggrin:

Ah well, i guess i should be going back to the rennlist/rennteam forums.

There was a post there about some guy that spotted a yugo here in san diego. Really rare car y'know...

Congratulations!

Nice, one of my favorite car, I think you a good decision. It has far more power than NSX that is for sure.

I too see 996 Turbo daily, so are Modena 360s, SL55s.

Come on guys....it's not like he bought a Geo (oh yeah, that call them Chevys now). I love Porsche too....however I don't think I could buy one after the Boxster came out. Don't get me wrong, the Boxster is a nice looking car....but it's a cheap porsche. I think it ruined the reputation of the 911 and all their top of the line cars. For those who don't know much about Porsche, they might just think you have the same car that their Cousin (McDonalds Manager) bought..... a silver 99 Boxster!!

Last edited:
Nice Car! Congrats!
You have good taste in cars! :smile:
ENJOY!!

Congratulations. Its a beautiful car.

6speedonline is also a good Porsche forum

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/

Could you even make out the taillights to see if it was a reg carrera or a turbo all the way back there?

I guess thats one of the disadvantages of the 911. Most owners can't tell the difference between a C2 or Turbo. An owner can only hope others can see that little turbo emblem; thats if they even care. From this comment it sounds like you do. Thats a shame. A Porsche, no matter what model it is, is more than just a poseur mobile.

Congrats. The 996 Twin Turbo is a nice car and it seems to fit all of the requirements that you wanted in a car. The NSX is not for everyone, so I am glad you found a car that fit your style.

I do find it funny that you knocked the NSX for lack of interior sophistication, and then bought a Porsche. The interior on Porsches is one of the most often criticized parts of the entire car. Oh well....

I agree. The Porsche interiors always seem just plain odd to me. Controls are not all where you expect them to be, labeling of controls is often not clear, and the styling... well, I suppose "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", but I generally find them to be at the ugly end of the spectrum (compared with, for example, the more recent Acura models, or even better, Lexus interiors, which look - and smell - gorgeous).

But the 1 Turbo is certainly faster than the NSX, which is why it costs so much more. It's a very nice car. Enjoy your 1.

Good-bye!

Zennsx said:
I think the NSX interior is much better looking.

I agree.... then again we're mostly all a little biased here ;P But between the two, I think the NSX feels much sportier with the sweeping back console, the other falls more along the lines of luxury... and then theres the color, which for me would have to be an aquired taste :D

... and the fact that I've never really been into the styling of 99% of porsche products.

I'm curious how much crossover there is between a market like the NSX and Porche. Seems like distinct groups of people with very different taste, not that I have any insight.

.jeremy

qirex said:
Could you even make out the taillights to see if it was a reg carrera or a turbo all the way back there? :biggrin:

Ah well, i guess i should be going back to the rennlist/rennteam forums.

There was a post there about some guy that spotted a yugo here in san diego. Really rare car y'know...

I saw one in my reaview mirror Today, Yesterday and all day Tomorrow. :wink:

By the way, when are you picking up that car?

Congrats! She is quite a piece of engineering marvel despite of rather tamed interior styling. Nevertheless, you picked it out of the bunch and you appreciate it. That's what counts. Enjoy it ! :smile:

Dont get me wong guys, i'm not knocking the X's interior. Its styling is great, its justthe overall execution that pushed m to the popo. Call me crazy, but I love the fact that *everything* in sight is covered in leather. The little details keep springing forth with each day. When i talk simple interior stuff, its basic stuff like outside temp. Tire pressure etc, that i got used to on my Z that i began to demand.

The 1 (hehe ken!) has this great Multifunction computer which will do things from display boost level, to actually *checking* your oil level. To each their own, however when i'm in the turbo i feel like i'm sitting in a merc or something. As my daily driver - i like that. Now i have to admit that the reg 996 (mostly lease cars) that i looked at have really crappy interiors. The full leather stuff is ~$10k option (full + everything) on the reg car. I almost bought an 03 C2, Gt3 bodykit, and that thing really felt *cheap* on the inside.

The 997 OTOH looks great whether its full leatheror not. IMO, porsche interiors are *cheap* unless you go full leather.

I'm no poseur, i drive my turbo. I could care less who thinks its a boxster etc. I bought it for me and not anyone eles. Initially i was dead-set against getting a porsche simply b/c of the stigma associated w/ the snobbish, garage queen poseurs...but alas, the turbo fit the bill.

I'm sure there's an NSX in my future however, I'm selling my Z and would love to have a convert/T top in the next few months. While the Turbo is great - its not everything. Its the MOST efficient way to cover large gaps of distance quickly. Is it the most rewarding to drive?? Hell no. Once you realize that the car WILL grip w/o a problem doing 170mph along gentle switchbacks...the drama is kinda gone. Is it cool- YES!! Drive conservatively in the rain?? Hell no...back off the throttle mid corner....who cares!!

So while i havent driven my Z since I picked up my turby, my suspicions re: AWD are completely correct. It produces better lap times, but takes the driver out of the mix a bit. Here's some more shots of her in my Hizzy.

Either way, just wanted to let you guys know that I appreciate all the help in considering an NSX. you're a tight and informative group. I'll still be around here lurking....waiting for signs of life from honda (HSC). For now...I'll see you guys at the tracks!! I cant to run into some of these 500Hp nsxs.....after i get my stage II done :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_5802.JPG
    IMG_5802.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_5799.JPG
    IMG_5799.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 884
  • IMG_5786.JPG
    IMG_5786.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 867
Last edited:
qirex said:
To each their own, however when i'm in the turbo i feel like i'm sitting in a merc or something.
I'm sure Mercury owners will love to hear comments like that! :D

That last pic shows a much more luxurious interior than I'm used to seeing in Porsches. Must be the full leather package you mentioned. It does look really upscale. Enjoy the car and post some nice hi-res pics when you get a chance.

No offense guys but some of you are being awfully harsh. Different strokes for different folks and why get bundled up in bashing another person's tastes? Homogeniety is boring after all.

Congrat's on the new P car. I sincerely hope it brings you miles of smiles.

Keep the shiny side up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back