• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SoCal (LA) HugaBuga Window Fix-It Day

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
3-day Pre-Install Party update!:
Tips and basic ground rules:
  • Please watch this video or read this pdf as a refresher for the task ahead. Hugo, Fastrax, or myself are there to help and assist but not do the work for you. Everyone has varying skills with a spanner - I get it. We're there to help each other as much as needed so don't worry. You will be a window fixing maven by the time you're done!
  • Let's all remember Hugabuga (Hugo) is on vacation from Europe doing a USA road trip. He's not here to work. Let's be cognizant of this and try to show him a good time like we would any other prime member.
  • Kuni came over last night and we think there's a chance to fit 1 car in the garage and 3-4 cars in the driveway (double tandem, 5 cars total). With this in mind there will likely be a shortage of tools. If you can bring some of your own basic tools that would great.
  • Tools to me are like diamonds to a woman. Snap-On = DeBeers. You're free to borrow them. All I ask is that they be returned right after. Also, use them appropriately, don't use a rachet where a hammer is better suited --> This goes w/o saying right?
  • No shoes in the house please!!!
  • There is a food and beverage sign-up list. SFDreamer is coordinating a pizza order for lunch. Unfortunately the backyard is still under construction so it's not quite bbq friendly.
  • There will also be clear sidemarker demo units to touch, feel, and drool over from NSXClear. See me (or maybe liftnot) if you want to purchase a set. I don't have any vested interest in selling these but I'm all about helping our friend NSXClear show this to folks interested. 1-day special pricing on these.

Hopefully this will be fun and productive for everyone. If everything works out, we can plan another Fix-it day. Brake Bleed & Fuel Filter Day anyone??? :biggrin:

---------------------------------------------------

Based on the response from this thread I will be hosting a shop day at my place or as SFDreamer calls it, an "install party". Everyone is welcome. Although, I don't think we'll have Patty's lemon bars because I think her windows work just fine :)

When: Aug 14, Saturday, 10am
Where: PM me for the address once closer to date. Culver City, CA..west of the 405 fwy.
EDIT: This is a public forum so i'm requesting some discretion as to disclosing where I live. I trust all the socal primers but I don't trust the internet. Be mindful about pictures, blogs, txt msgs, etc that may reveal the location of the Bat Cave.

It appears the list of attendees are being tracked in here (scroll to the last page). So you can either reply here or subscribe to that list. We have at least 3-5 NSXs coming as of today so that alone should be worthwhile for Hugo. Parking is good so the location can accommodate more cars. However, it looks like only 3-4 cars can be worked on at the same time unless you want to work on the street which is plenty wide as well.

The Socal NSX community is big so if you folks closer in OC or SD want to coordinate an event for the same wknd then i'd recommend chatting with Hugo to arrange a date that works for him otherwise you're more than welcome to come by.

Big thanks to Hugo for taking time out of his vacation schedule to come help out!!!

BTW... Is anyone open to a drive up the coast after to get lunch in Malibu perhaps? This time with all of our windows down and working!

What tools bring: not mandatory
I have plenty of tools but I mostly have one of each type of tool so if you have access to some basic tools you can bring them. I also have a drill press for those of you who may want to apply the metal sleeve on the motor spindle. Below are suggested tools from members.

From ChopsJazz
You will need:
1. 10 mm open/box-end wrench
2. 10 mm ratchet
3. Phillips screwdriver #2 tip
4. Large standard screwdriver
5. Urea grease (or your favorite grease)
6. Wide tape to secure window in raised position
7. Brake cleaner spray
8. Rags

From FastraxTurbo
Tools that will be needed:
10mm wrench (Combo Gear Wrench makes it alot easier)
10mm socket, short extension, and ratchet (1/4" is fine)
Large flat blade screwdriver.
small flat blade screwdriver
#2 Phillips screwdriver
small L shaped pick (makes it easier to remove door insert panel)
paint pen or marker to mark position of regulator bolts and window bolts

I dont remember the size of the nut on Hugabuga's pulley- 3/8" maybe. either socket or wrench works. RYU EDIT: It's a 10mm nut
Brake cleaner to clean the guides and regulator
Grease for the tracks and regulator (I like the teflon grease used for bicycle bearings)

Rags.
Thats all I can think of right now. For those that want to install the spindle sleeve in the motor, a drill press and fixture to hold the gears is highly recommended. I am going to test a different motor later to see if it is stronger than the original. Might help for those that have motors that have worn out brushes and burnt commutators.

Special Request for a Dremel tool! If you got one and are able to bring it.. it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Heck Yeah - install PARTY :). And of course, I am down for a drive...to...ANYWHERE!

OF COURSE YOU ARE! :tongue:

COUNT ME IN TOO!!!

Dang...turning out to be quite the day RYU!!! Looks like we wouldn't get a drive in, until later. Which is no biggie and actually we'll probably have some nice cool evening air. But might not allow us to get out for lunch.

So maybe people can bring some snacks?

I am down to order up some pizza's if that is cool with everyone?

Last edited:
Dang...turning out to be quite the day RYU!!! Looks like we wouldn't get a drive in, until later. Which is no biggie and actually we'll probably have some nice cool evening air. But might not allow us to get out for lunch.

So maybe people can bring some snacks?

I am down to order up some pizza's if that is cool with everyone?
It's going to be a good time and productive too. The perfect combination!

I'm sure each car will be a little different so no sense budgeting a target end time. I hope to take no more than 1-2hrs on mine though - but i work slow.

For pizza I recommend this place. They have pretty good bagel crust pizza and they deliver.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/abbots-pizza-company-santa-monica

if there is room, I'd like to join.

i looked at the tools list and was curious if i should bring an extra drill press, a vise, a tap for the 10mm Honda bolts?

i wish i knew about this mod idea earlier.
i just replaced a window regulator a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Evo - You're definitely welcome. It will be useful for everyone to bounce ideas off more people and help each other in the process. All the tools you mentioned are really good to bring - Good idea! If you have any standard C-clamps or Vise-Grip Locking C-Clamps those would be good to hold down the gears while drilling. Otherwise, it should be a pretty easy process.

For everyone else -
Hope you guys don't mind. My place is pretty humble... It's quite Spartan really as i'm still in the process of moving stuff in and I'm not keeping the place for the long term.

I also took some measurements around the work area. With the NSX doors open, we can probably only work on 2-3 cars at a time in the garage and in the driveway so it will be first come first serve on the prime spots.

Hey Regan, mind if I come by? :biggrin:
BTW- I'm moving out to the OC in the last week of August!

Thanks for setting this up RYU...I'll bring something for snack :wink:

So, since this is a "install party" and I know people will finish before others, I was thinking of maybe tacking on another quick project I've been wanting to do and DESPERATELY need.

If someone has a dremel, could they please bring it along? Unless you have one RYU?

I want to make this: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113107

If anyone else wants one let me know, and I'll try to find the supplies.

Can someone pm me an address. thanks!
I will PM the address closer to the date once we get a better idea of who's going to show up. I'll edit the above post re this. Thanks for reminding me.
Hadooken, can i join in too?....
sure
Thanks for setting this up RYU...I'll bring something for snack :wink:
I would like to make a special request for lumpia please :) haha
If someone has a dremel, could they please bring it along? Unless you have one RYU?
I broke my dremel long ago and replaced it with a air die grinder. I'm a little short on bits but Home Depot and Autozone are less than a mile away.

If someone has a dremel it's a good alternative!

Hmm.. Now you're making me wonder if I should install my Type R sway bar also.

I would like to make a special request for lumpia please haha

You got it RYU!!!:biggrin:

Hey I forgot..I don't have the HugaBuga parts yet? How do I order?

I machined a simple jig out of scrap aluminum so that once set up on the drill press, everyone can just drop their gears in and drill it without having to take time to realign each time.
Someone will just have to bring the proper size bits and a couple of c-clamps to secure the jig to the bench press.

You got it RYU!!!:biggrin:

Hey I forgot..I don't have the HugaBuga parts yet? How do I order?
PM HugaBuga and he'll bring a set of parts for you. He may have extras but PM him just to be sure.

I machined a simple jig out of scrap aluminum so that once set up on the drill press, everyone can just drop their gears in and drill it without having to take time to realign each time.
Someone will just have to bring the proper size bits and a couple of c-clamps to secure the jig to the bench press.
If i'm thinking the same way you're thinking then you sir deserve a beer! cheers! good going!

Back