• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SoS HID or WhiteNSX's HID kit?

A local guy is selling a 2 year old used SoS HID for CDN $300. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's a good idea to get a used HID kit or to just get a new one from WhiteNSX for US$400? I did a quick search on the SoS HID kit and ran into a bunch of posts with people having issues with ballast and unavailability of parts due to DOT approval restrictions etc. I believe both kits use the same McCullough base kit right? Is it still an issue to get replacement parts if the SoS kit breaks down in any way?

Also, how difficult is it to install the SoS kit? My understanding is that it's been designed for the NSX for easy installation, much like WhiteNSX's kit. Thoughts? I was leaning towards the used SoS kit due to the price, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

From an earlier thread, WhiteNSX said:

"For example, the SOS kit requires the re-routing of 2 wires/plug outside the cap. The kit I have in mind does not require that and will greatly reduce the installation time AND it is fully reversible in no time in case you sell the car and not wanting to sell the HID with it."

Does the SoS kit take longer to install beacuse of the wiring, and does it make the change difficult to reverse? I'd like the option of going back to OEM if needed.

I have or had the first hid kit from SOS, the 1st McCullough ballast let go after 12 months. The other side just let go last week, so I ordred a new ballast from WhiteNSX a few day's ago.
The SOS kit is easy to install, I took my kit out in less than 5 minnutes and returned it to stock.
I would think WhiteNSX's kit is some what the same as SOS, but I don't know because I haven't seen it.

On a side note, I have some video from Nsxpo for you that I am not using.
PM me if you still need it.

Hmm, thanks for the heads up Brian. This particular unit has ~1000 hours on it, and is supposed to be rated for 4000 hours.

So if the ballast or whatever lets go on the SoS kit, it's just a matter of getting the replacement part from WhiteNSX right? I just don't want to be stuck with a kit I can't fix if something goes wrong. If it's all pretty much standard then it should be fine.

I could definitely use your footage! I'll PM you my mailing address. Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it!

you can purchase a brand new McCullough HID kit for less than $300 on ebay. I have installed 2 of these units on my friend's F355 no issues. Very simple plug and play which will work the as the nsx. Btw I had a set of old Philips HID kit in my 93 nsx and my 00 right now. I left off the dust cap for over a year on my 93 and never had a problem...FWIW

I recently bought a kit from Steve (WhiteNSX) and installed it. The price was excellent, the kit was terrific, the installation was a piece of cake with excellent instructions and pictures. I give Steve's kit a resounding endorsement w/o reservation.
On top of all of that, Steve was a great guy to do business with.

I also purchased Steve's(WhiteNSX) kit. It's a no brainer! It doesn't take long to install(because of the excellent instructions he created for the kit), it's reasonably priced, and it's a high quality kit. I might even order another kit for future use on another NSX. Hurry, before Steve catches on He's not charging enough--Ha,Ha!

THonda said:
I left off the dust cap for over a year on my 93 and never had a problem...FWIW

Interesting. I was thinking what is the point with dust cap anyways. 9006 and 9005 is design to be self sealing. I suppose it is really just for dust because there is no need to have it air tight since the bulb already seals the light assembly.

I would get the new HID for sure. There should be good 9006 kit for under $300

fkong777 said:
Interesting. I was thinking what is the point with dust cap anyways. 9006 and 9005 is design to be self sealing. I suppose it is really just for dust because there is no need to have it air tight since the bulb already seals the light assembly.

I would get the new HID for sure. There should be good 9006 kit for under $300
Actually the light bulb does not give you a good seal at all since it is important to allow room to expand when the bulb gets hot. The seal caps are essential not only because the factory thinks so, it protects the headlights housing against corrosions on the headlight harness, reflective coating of the headlight housing, and keep excessive moisture/water from entering the assembly. One can see that the dust caps and the underside of headlights get very dirty with regular use. You really don't want to run your car without the dust caps.
Steve

Arshad,

I have the SOS kit and it works great with no problems. Quick and easy install. Tim

no matter what you do, DO NOT BUY USED HID KIT, it will take you a long time to figure what's happening if it doesn't work. Especially CAD $300 is not as little as before!! (exhange rate)

Yeah, that's the direction I'm leaning in. I decided not to get that used SoS kit, even though most people have had good success with them. Instead, I'm just going to get a new kit from WhiteNSXs in the spring. As you pointed out, the exchange rate these days makes the decision a lot simpler ;)

Back