• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS JB4 Tuning Box

I did a quick search and didn't find much on JB4 tuning box. I've reached out to SOS for thoughts on just doing JB4 on stock WITHOUT downpipes. Anyone running JB4 without any other mods and is it noticeable gain? $1200 for about 50HP (93 octane) doesn't sound all that bad as long as dealers don't give you grief over warranty.

I just heard from SOS... estimated to be 60HP (at the wheels) with just the tune which is stunning.

It is a very well thought-out tuning solution. I would check with other owners here to see if they have had problems with dealer warranty service when the JB4 is used on the car.

It is a very well thought-out tuning solution. I would check with other owners here to see if they have had problems with dealer warranty service when the JB4 is used on the car.

I was interested in a NC1 and during the PPI the service writer had given me copies of prior work that was done to the car. It noted that on prior visits there was a JB4 on the car. I asked him if that could void the warranty. He told me it could if Acura thought any subsequent warranty claims might be affected. What he did do for me was note on the receipt that there was no JB4 on the car when presented for the PPI and that at that time the car had no issues related to the use of the tuning box. I did not end up buying the car but thought my interaction with the service writer is relevant.

I have a few cars with the Burger JB4 products. I haven’t added it to the NSX as I was told by Chris Wilson at Science of Speed it was not recommended without downpipes.

I don’t feel like ripping the back half off the car to do the downpipes without adding turbos lol.

When did you speak with science of speed - 60hp Jb4 is a no brainer IMHO.

I have the JB4 and like it. Best thing is that I can remove it before taking it in for service if necessary. It's only a modest boost and the power train should be fully capable of handling it, even for warranty work. In the highly unlikely event it were to short out and fry the Acura ecm then I would foot the repair bill in order to have a clear conscience. If I put a rod through the block then that's an Acura defect.

You don't need downpipes to use it. You just won't have the full gain. I haven't put it on a dyno or timed it yet but my guess is 45 whp.

I've also boosted my Lincoln Navigator with a JB4 and an otherwise stock extended length 6100 lb black label does the 1/4 mile in 12.4 seconds running an e20 mixture. It's an awesome tow vehicle.

Last edited:
Haha nice, glad to hear I’ll pick one up. I didn’t even know they had one for the Lincoln.

I have it on a a couple X5M and run low 11’s @ 124 lol 0-60 2.9 with rollout.

On the ‘21, I just run the TMAP connections - picks up @ 100wheel.

https://youtu.be/CaqMNxDIgUs

I have the JB4 and like it. Best thing is that I can remove it before taking it in for service if necessary. It's only a modest boost and the power train should be fully capable of handling it, even for warranty work. In the highly unlikely event it were to short out and fry the Acura ecm then I would foot the repair bill in order to have a clear conscience. If I put a rod through the block then that's an Acura defect.

You don't need downpipes to use it. You just won't have the full gain. I haven't put it on a dyno or timed it yet but my guess is 45 whp.

I've also boosted my Lincoln Navigator with a JB4 and an otherwise stock extended length 6100 lb black label does the 1/4 mile in 12.4 seconds running an e20 mixture. It's an awesome tow vehicle.

Wait a minute- Dave, you got a NC1??

Yep, a little over a year ago. I actually went to buy a Turbo S and the dealer had one of these and I did a quick about face haha.

I’m terrible with screen names and worse with real ones lol. Shoot me a pm.

Edit - hahah oops my names Dave too

Last edited:
Wait a minute- Dave, you got a NC1??

Went on a bit of a spending spree last year. Now I don't have space for the toys so, at the moment, the red one is left out in the cold....

Actually, I've been having more fun with the other aluminum vehicle behind it. Black Label Navigator pushing around 550HP. When you punch it the rear squats and the front end lifts up like crazy. Not your typical Lincoln.... My elderly neighbors couldn't care less about the sports cars, but now we can discuss our Lincolns and Caddies!

View attachment 168190

Went on a bit of a spending spree last year. Now I don't have space for the toys so, at the moment, the red one is left out in the cold....

Actually, I've been having more fun with the other aluminum vehicle behind it. Black Label Navigator pushing around 550HP. When you punch it the rear squats and the front end lifts up like crazy. Not your typical Lincoln.... My elderly neighbors couldn't care less about the sports cars, but now we can discuss our Lincolns and Caddies!

You need to post pics!! Specs? Color?

I did a quick search and didn't find much on JB4 tuning box. I've reached out to SOS for thoughts on just doing JB4 on stock WITHOUT downpipes. Anyone running JB4 without any other mods and is it noticeable gain? $1200 for about 50HP (93 octane) doesn't sound all that bad as long as dealers don't give you grief over warranty.
The 1/4 mile record NSX has JB4 only running mich ps4s

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

The 1/4 mile record NSX has JB4 only running mich ps4s

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

That's much faster than what I thought. Is that with tune running 100 octane and downpipes?

Seems like stock is 11.2 and Map 2 (93 octane) with no downpipe should get you around 10.8s but probably not much lower?

I'm the one with the fastest 2nd Gen so far. Eventually someone will go faster only a matter of time and I hope they do.

I am using the JB4 on Map 3, but I am running E45 to get 98/100 Octane (Half E85 and Half 93)

I just have the JB4 and Michelin 4S tires. Car is 100% stock mechanically.

I do have a fully optioned out car which is about 70lbs lighter between the rotors and roof.

Video of some of my runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdeSa-w8Vzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bC_wvymPEs

As for service I do my own oil changes and Twin Motor Unit fluid change so I haven't crossed that bridge, but if something serious was an issue I would remove before going to an Acura dealer just to be safe. Some dealers are ok with mods and others are not.

I haven't had any issues with the JB4. It was installed October 2019 and I've put maybe 4,000 miles on the car since then.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for sharing. Just to confirm, this is with no downpipe?

Any thoughts on what's possible with Map 2 with 70 extra pounds?

I'm the one with the fastest 2nd Gen so far. Eventually someone will go faster only a matter of time and I hope they do.

I am using the JB4 on Map 3, but I am running E45 to get 98/100 Octane (Half E85 and Half 93)

I just have the JB4 and Michelin 4S tires. Car is 100% stock mechanically.

I do have a fully optioned out car which is about 70lbs lighter between the rotors and roof.

Video of some of my runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdeSa-w8Vzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bC_wvymPEs

As for service I do my own oil changes and Twin Motor Unit fluid change so I haven't crossed that bridge, but if something serious was an issue I would remove before going to an Acura dealer just to be safe. Some dealers are ok with mods and others are not.

I haven't had any issues with the JB4. It was installed October 2019 and I've put maybe 4,000 miles on the car since then.

If you can get the 60’ down with a better tire
(R888/ drag radial) should be able to see a 10.2 with or without the extra 70lbs.

As heavy as this car is, 70lbs is probably as insignificant as what you had for lunch.

It’s all in the 60 foot.

I’m surprised the car can handle that much ethanol on the stock injectors.

OP - how many miles have you put on the car on map 3? Or do you run it primarily on map 2 and swap it to 3 ? What’s it run on map 2 with 93?

If you can get the 60’ down with a better tire
(R888/ drag radial) should be able to see a 10.2 with or without the extra 70lbs.

As heavy as this car is, 70lbs is probably as insignificant as what you had for lunch.

It’s all in the 60 foot.

I’m surprised the car can handle that much ethanol on the stock injectors.

OP - how many miles have you put on the car on map 3? Or do you run it primarily on map 2 and swap it to 3 ? What’s it run on map 2 with 93?

The NSX is Direct and Port Injection so we have 12 injectors and the trims are inline. I've just left it on Map 3 for almost a year now maybe 2,000-2,500 miles.

I have MT ET S/S radials 345/35/18s on the rear of my GTR that I've debated about seeing if they fit, but with only having the launch set to 2200rpm and launching on a fixed electric output I don't know if the 60ft would come down.

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Just to confirm, this is with no downpipe?

Any thoughts on what's possible with Map 2 with 70 extra pounds?

Correct no downpipe. I would think on Map 2 with 93 octane and good tires like a 4S you should probably run 10.6-10.7 @130 depending on the DA.

The stock continentals are awful for getting good 60'. Michelin 4S are a great upgrade and all around performance tire.

The NSX is Direct and Port Injection so we have 12 injectors and the trims are inline. I've just left it on Map 3 for almost a year now maybe 2,000-2,500 miles.

I have MT ET S/S radials 345/35/18s on the rear of my GTR that I've debated about seeing if they fit, but with only having the launch set to 2200rpm and launching on a fixed electric output I don't know if the 60ft would come down.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I’ll throw a can of ignite red into it with the tune and see what happens.

I run the same tires on my R35 on Volk Sagas. I was thinking the front DR may be a better fit.

They will be better than summer tires or extreme summer tires. The more traction the tire has the harder they become in colder weather. R888R have insane traction but anything under 45 degrees and they are like ice states.

Dumb question but all season tires (like conti Dws06) will be worse than OEM summer tires for 1/4 times in cooler climates (40F - 70F)?
I just bought the potenza re980 as, full grip in 30 to 65 deg weather. 0-60 in 3 seconds flat with 2 passengers at 1100 ft elevation. Watch Pats online garage YouTube video, awesome tires and they are cheap.

I just bought the potenza re980 as, full grip in 30 to 65 deg weather. 0-60 in 3 seconds flat with 2 passengers at 1100 ft elevation. Watch Pats online garage YouTube video, awesome tires and they are cheap.

Looks like a great deal on these for under $1,000. Any reason whey you went with Potenza vs. Conti DWS? I think Pat wanted DWS but the rears weren't available at the time of his order. I've used DWS on most of my cars in the past but willing to try Potenza if better tires and less expensive.

Back