• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SoS Sport 275 clutch+flywheel installed!

Hey fellow NSX family,

Before I pulled the trigger on a clutch, I was hemming and hawing over which to purchase and noticed there were not too many reviews on the SoS Sport 275 - so I figured I'll add my 2 cents in here for future clutch shoppers.

General comments on this forum put the SoS sport 275 clutch+flywheel kit in a pretty good light, and SoS seemed like a reputable place. I ended up having a difficult time deciding between the OEM twin discs, or the SoS. I'm the type of driver that gets quite a bit of pleasure from blipping the throttle in neutral during downshift rev-matching, heel toe, etc, so I figured I'd really enjoy the lighter flywheel and faster free-wheel rev speeds. So, I bought it.

I purchased the clutch on 12/20/13, and only after I paid did SoS mention they were backordered. Dang. They said they'll expect them to be back on the shelf on 1/13/14, but that time slipped by a few days, and I didn't end up getting the clutch in my hands until 1/18/14.

Was it worth the wait? YES! I was pretty apprehensive about this clutch as everyone told me "Go OEM or you'll regret it", and even Diana @ Hilltop Auto warned me against it and recommended the OEM. But I already had the SoS on the way, so what could you do - decided to take a small gamble since the reviews from people who had them seemed pretty positive.

I had my clutch installed by Jim Russell @ Cologne Auto Body (AMAZING, worth *every* penny, thank you so much Jim), alongside a fuel filter and the new poly steering rack bushings (also from SoS). I just picked up my car today and it was amazing. Pedal effort was super easy - felt a *hair* lighter than OEM. It engaged almost right off the floor (though I imagine this point may move further away as the clutch breaks in), and progressively gripped harder as I released the clutch pedal, all the way to the end of travel.

As for the lightweight flywheel? I didn't really notice it honestly. Did a neutral blip for a 3->2 downshift and felt like the motor revved up a little bit faster, but I'll need more seat time to really figure it out. I read about how people were stalling as more throttle was required, etc, but I drove it off the lot without a second thought and was surprised at how OEM the whole thing felt. If somebody told me they had just installed the factory OEM clutch on it, I would not have questioned it.

Engagement is buttery smooth. My previous OEM clutch was shuddering and shaking the car during engagement - it is a HUGE relief now to be able to drive the car again without it shaking and shuddering. Smooth as butter! No chatter either, it is dead quiet and smooth as can be.

The one unknown now is longevity. I'm hoping to get at least 50-70k miles out of it. If it starts slipping early, I'll definitely come back here and let everyone know.

So far, so good though. Grinning ear to ear being able to drive my car with peace of mind again.

Huge thanks to SoS for a great clutch, and Jim Russell for the fantastic work!!

KzXq4ufl.jpg

Last edited:
Great news, kertong! I was going to PM you today to see if you had your car back!

The first NSX I looked at had a SOS 275 clutch that the owner was happy with. He had an otherwise stock 2000 Silverstone. His son has a stock 2000 Silverstone with an OEM clutch, and driving them back to back, he found the engagement a little lighter, but that was about it.

Poor E36...

Great news, kertong! I was going to PM you today to see if you had your car back!

The first NSX I looked at had a SOS 275 clutch that the owner was happy with. He had an otherwise stock 2000 Silverstone. His son has a stock 2000 Silverstone with an OEM clutch, and driving them back to back, he found the engagement a little lighter, but that was about it.

Poor E36...

Thanks CStricker! Yeah, it was nice to take a long drive and brave stop-and-go traffic yesterday without bracing myself for the shakes, haha. We can finally do lunch now, let me know when/where works for ya! :D

Yeah, lot of neat cars at Cologne that had seen better days - poor E36, and that poor 914 as well :( At least they're in good hands - Jim Russell was great!

I have the SoS 275 as well and Kertong is spot on with his review. I had mine installed in June 2013 and have 2000 miles on it. I couldn't be happier just a little lighter feel than stock and hill starts are the only major (if you want to call it major) area that there was a difference.

I put more than 10k miles on SOS 275. Feels just like when new. I could definitely feel the difference with lighter flywheel. I like less complex design over oem too.

Back