• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sound system install

Hi guys,

my car is in the shop currently getting the front speakers replaced with some hertz component speakers with tweeters along with a stereo amp and a double din deck. The shop modified the factory console and and created some pods for the pillar for tweeters. Today I was told that the final bill could run in the range of 5000 CAd just for the labor. I just wanted some input as to if 70 hours of labor is appropriate to overhaul the nsx stereo, speakers and to add an amp. Ofcourse the amount caugt me off the guard so any input would be appreciated

Yes, it can take a lot of hours. Rebuilding the stereo alone can take 30 hours depending on far they go wtih it. Depends on the scope of your install.

You should just stick with the stock system, it is good enough and the real music is from the VTEC regardless. I can see you spending thousands to modify your stereo and then spending thousands to put it back to stock one day....meh.

It probably depends on how knowledgeable the shop is with an NSX and it's unique Bose system. Bose has a decentralized design where the amps are integrated with the speaker enclosures so putting in a centralized amp system requires some changes. For instance, in the Bose system, the wiring to the door speakers is light gauge because the amp is in the door so the wiring from the head unit carrying the signal isn't carrying much power. But in a centralized design, you might be putting a lot of watts into those speakers which requires heavier wiring which can be a PITA to run according to some NSXers who have tried. There's also very little option for sub type and placement as the OEM one is in the footwell so any attempt to create a larger enclosure to get more bass takes precious space away from the passenger. Then there's center 'rear' speaker that most people don't even know about but is somewhat effective in creating rear effects. But if they're installing new rears, then maybe you don't care. But you also don't want people doing surgery on your interior, especially if they don't know how to remove panels; where to get power; etc. The easiest/cheapest route is to leave the OEM deck in place; install an amp behind the drivers seat (easy access to power/grnds); bypass the door amps and go straight to the door (or replacement) speakers and stick with OEM wiring and don't get power crazy. SOS used to sell an iPod adapter that would run through the CD input of the OEM deck. But if you're wanting NAV and Video and double din setup, then they're going to have to be cutting up your console. This can be tricky if they don't know what they're doing as the console is wider at the front but narrower at the back causing fitment issues. Then there's the issue that the console is laid back more than most and the glare can be intolerable. Sure it can be done .. you just need deeper pockets.

Hi Thanks for the feedback. Honestly the only reason I am upgrading is because my stock head unit has stopped working and so has the speakers. If I knew the costs maybe I would have just had them rebuilt.

Yes, it can take a lot of hours. Rebuilding the stereo alone can take 30 hours depending on far they go wtih it. Depends on the scope of your install.

You should just stick with the stock system, it is good enough and the real music is from the VTEC regardless. I can see you spending thousands to modify your stereo and then spending thousands to put it back to stock one day....meh.

Hi Ian

Lots of good info. I wish I looked into the option of refurbishing my head unit and my speakers.

It probably depends on how knowledgeable the shop is with an NSX and it's unique Bose system. Bose has a decentralized design where the amps are integrated with the speaker enclosures so putting in a centralized amp system requires some changes. For instance, in the Bose system, the wiring to the door speakers is light gauge because the amp is in the door so the wiring from the head unit carrying the signal isn't carrying much power. But in a centralized design, you might be putting a lot of watts into those speakers which requires heavier wiring which can be a PITA to run according to some NSXers who have tried. There's also very little option for sub type and placement as the OEM one is in the footwell so any attempt to create a larger enclosure to get more bass takes precious space away from the passenger. Then there's center 'rear' speaker that most people don't even know about but is somewhat effective in creating rear effects. But if they're installing new rears, then maybe you don't care. But you also don't want people doing surgery on your interior, especially if they don't know how to remove panels; where to get power; etc. The easiest/cheapest route is to leave the OEM deck in place; install an amp behind the drivers seat (easy access to power/grnds); bypass the door amps and go straight to the door (or replacement) speakers and stick with OEM wiring and don't get power crazy. SOS used to sell an iPod adapter that would run through the CD input of the OEM deck. But if you're wanting NAV and Video and double din setup, then they're going to have to be cutting up your console. This can be tricky if they don't know what they're doing as the console is wider at the front but narrower at the back causing fitment issues. Then there's the issue that the console is laid back more than most and the glare can be intolerable. Sure it can be done .. you just need deeper pockets.

Back