• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Source 1 Automotive: ScienceofSpeed Supercharger System - 419.2 whp / 301.5 wtq

10.2:1 is not a very high compression ratio for 70 hp/cylinder on 91 octane, especially with full fuel and ignition control like what the AEM EMS offers.

It is pushing the limits of an engine designed in the late 1980's, that probably hasn't been opened up in 17 years. 10.2:1 compression, 9.5psi of boost, no intercooling, no methanol injection, and no EMS capability to adjust to changing weather conditions - I hope it's at least being monitored by a wideband.

If somebody decides to do it, I wish them luck - the 8psi figure is not some arbitrary number pulled from the sky, it's a number that was arrived at through trial and error, with several people losing engines in the process. I would rather learn from the mistakes of others, than repeat them myself.

I am sure Chris is good, but I wouldnt go so far as to call him Christ. :)

I was wondering the same thing,were these guys having the install done by the Vatican:confused::tongue:

If somebody decides to do it, I wish them luck - the 8psi figure is not some arbitrary number pulled from the sky, it's a number that was arrived at through trial and error, with several people losing engines in the process. I would rather learn from the mistakes of others, than repeat them myself.

I'm sorry, but this is not true. A capacity of an engine can not be generalized by the manifold pressure as you're stating. Cylinder pressure when produced at the correct combustion cycle timing (ie. not caused by pre-ignition) is the ultimate limit of an engine's design. To make this simple - if one type of engine can safely support a level of power with one type of compressor (supercharger, turbocharger) then it should be able to support the same level of power with a completely different type of compressor because ultimately, then engine only cares about the oxygen mass and proper fuel quantity put into the combustion chamber. Your car produces the same level of power on an all stock engine:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124210&page=2

Yes, intercooling/aftercooling would definitely be a benefit. However, then the design would produce even more power due to the increase in air mass.

Ultimately, I've seen that people are very ardent supporters of whatever type of system is on their car. Your car is turbocharged. However, positive displacement superchargers do make a lot of sense for applications like the NSX where the instant throttle response of this type of compressor is appreciated.

I drove my car today.

Borat-VeryNice.jpg

Oh and Sky... just wanted you to know.... I'll always make my car just a little faster than yours. I've got Brian and Justin at Source 1 developing a whole new motor right now. Here's a sneak peek. :wink:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VFScPznGlo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VFScPznGlo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I drove my car today.

Borat-VeryNice.jpg

Oh and Sky... just wanted you to know.... I'll always make my car just a little faster than yours. I've got Brian and Justin at Source 1 developing a whole new motor right now. Here's a sneak peek. :wink:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VFScPznGlo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VFScPznGlo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Funny Kyle, Sky is a good customer of ours also.... I know there are some things up his sleeve that may make that an incorrect statement.. :biggrin:

Wow Kyle, that must be some packaging job. I've always heard how tough it is to fit a turbo and intercooler into the NSX engine bay, and yet you are going to fit in a few extra cylinders!

if one type of engine can safely support a level of power with one type of compressor (supercharger, turbocharger) then it should be able to support the same level of power with a completely different type of compressor because ultimately, then engine only cares about the oxygen mass and proper fuel quantity put into the combustion chamber.

Power is created through a variety of factors which you either fail to recognize, or intentionally fail to take into account. Boost pressure is important, as is timing, fuel quality, air density, and cylinder pressure. Through a combination of these factors, power is created. Certain aspects of the engine are more likely to fail with certain potential deficiencies.

Overboosting a stock nsx engine will cause damage to the rod bolts; at higher boost pressures, these have been known to stretch. It can also lead to a rapid deterioration of the paper headgaskets installed on earlier nsx's.

Other failures associated with overboosting are cracks in the factory pistons, or the failure of the factory piston rings; these are issues experienced by owners only a few years ago running BBSC supercharger systems, which have a cooler intake charge temperature than twin screw superchargers, and in most cases also featured intake charge cooling, either methanol, or an aftercooler.

Your car produces the same level of power on an all stock engine:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124210&page=2

Yes, I am creating the same power, with a cooler intake charge, and less boost pressure. My engine gets colder air, as the intake charge is aftercooled.

Also, my engine is not "an all stock engine"; my engine was refreshed for the turbocharger installation, with new pistons (factory compression ratio), rings, rod bearings, ARP head studs, ARP rod bolts, and Cometic MLS headgaskets. With these changes, I eliminated several of the known deficiencies of the nsx motor, namely the poor construction headgaskets, and rod bolts.

Yes, intercooling/aftercooling would definitely be a benefit. However, then the design would produce even more power due to the increase in air mass.

The intake charge would be cooler, in addition to being of a higher density; the engine would run cooler, the cylinder temperature would decrease, and the engine would become more efficient. The tuner could choose to then add timing, and increase overall power. Heat results in increased wear, a cooler cylinder burn will improve long term reliability.

Ultimately, I've seen that people are very ardent supporters of whatever type of system is on their car. Your car is turbocharged. However, positive displacement superchargers do make a lot of sense for applications like the NSX where the instant throttle response of this type of compressor is appreciated.

Perhaps you are new to this forced induction section of nsxprime; I installed a positive displacement supercharger on my nsx about 3 years ago, and have first hand experience with both configurations. My support of one system over another is not skewed by ownership, I had the Gruppe M installed, it was making good power, but I removed it in favor of the more efficient option, once I found a turbocharger layout which offered key benefits to the other options at the time. The HP Performance kit is the best mass-produced turbocharger system for the nsx, when properly configured, otherwise I would have purchased something else.

It sounds like your opinion is skewed towards the positive displacement supercharger, yet you have no experience with the other available options - I am curious to determine, why you feel you are qualified to make recommendations to other nsx owners?

+1

That's a lot of boost without anything cool down iat, I rather run 12psi with meth injection than if I have to chose between two

Overboosting a stock nsx engine will cause damage to the rod bolts; at higher boost pressures, these have been known to stretch.

QUOTE]

I don't see how higher boost would necessarily cause rod bolts to stretch , usually higher RPM is what would cause this .

Rod bolts are only subject to stress upon deceleration .

Power is created through a variety of factors which you either fail to recognize, or intentionally fail to take into account. Boost pressure is important, as is timing, fuel quality, air density, and cylinder pressure. Through a combination of these factors, power is created. Certain aspects of the engine are more likely to fail with certain potential deficiencies.

I understand internal combustion engine dynamics. I focused only on your statement that an engine is limited by a pretermined boost number - which is not true.

Overboosting a stock nsx engine will cause damage to the rod bolts; at higher boost pressures, these have been known to stretch. It can also lead to a rapid deterioration of the paper headgaskets installed on earlier nsx's.

Other failures associated with overboosting are cracks in the factory pistons, or the failure of the factory piston rings; these are issues experienced by owners only a few years ago running BBSC supercharger systems, which have a cooler intake charge temperature than twin screw superchargers, and in most cases also featured intake charge cooling, either methanol, or an aftercooler.

I'm sorry, this is definitely not true. The internal engine damage you cite, including the damage being attributed to BBSC superchargers is from rapid cylinder pressure spikes at incorrect moments in the combustion cycle. These are caused by pre-ignition or detonation. The force downward force put on the piston from the pre-ignition opposes the force of the piston and rod traveling in the opposing direction. In the BBSC system, this has been attributed to the system's ignition management system failing to correctly retard ignition timing resulting in pre-ignition. While hotter intake charge temperatures will narrow the ignition timing envelope, the point is that the problems of other systems you cite were from faulty electronics causing pre-ignition - not 1.5 PSI higher intake charge pressure. With proper engine management systems functioning properly, pre-ignition can be mitigated, even if the charge temperature is hot. I think it has been pretty well established that the engine management system used in this supercharger kit is fully capable of reliable ignition control.

Heat results in increased wear, a cooler cylinder burn will improve long term reliability.

I don't think we disagree that a cooler charge produces more power more efficiently. However, I can assure you that proper tuning including combustion timing has a greater affect than 50-100 degrees F of intake temperature.

It sounds like your opinion is skewed towards the positive displacement supercharger, yet you have no experience with the other available options - I am curious to determine, why you feel you are qualified to make recommendations to other nsx owners?

I have no preference on turbocharging or supercharging in general and am not new here (you can see my join date of 2003 is prior to yours). I own both supercharged and turbocharged vehicles. In my mind, they are both compressors that deliver more air mass into the engine and have advantages to each of their approaches depending on the application. I personally feel that for the power range that most NSX owners are going for - which seems to be in the 100-150 hp increase over stock power - positive displacement superchargers like the ones used in the Comptech and ScienceofSpeed systems make the most sense.

My concern, and only interest in contributing to this thread, is the to see that proper information gets disseminated on these forums as it seems that there is much information on here accepted with out analysis.

Last edited:
Man... didn't think so many people would think I'm cruising around in a hand grenade now. Especially going with proven stuff like a Comptech or SOS supercharger. Yet everyone seems to so interested in all these "make em' at home" turbo kits. I'm usually really conservative with what I want done to my car, and want safety and reliability to be the number one factor in any modification I make. I've never known SOS to provide anything detrimental to our cars, and I've never known the guys at Source One to be anything but professional and take the utmost care in making sure my car stays in top running condition. I'll probably end up getting an after cooler sooner than later, but until then I have no quams driving the car. And I know if anything happens Source will do what they have to do to make it right. That's the kind of company they are, and that's why they're gaining so much NSX business in our corner of the mid-west. I'll let you know if it turns into Haley's comet on the highway. Till then, I wouldn't worry about it... I'm not.

I understand internal combustion engine dynamics. I focused only on your statement that an engine is limited by a pretermined boost number - which is not true.

As I said, there are several areas of concern, boost pressure is one of them. If you are trying to promote a position where boost pressure is irrelevant, on a 17-year old engine with high compression pistons, you are either misinformed or irresponsible.

I'm sorry, this is definitely not true. The internal engine damage you cite, including the damage being attributed to BBSC superchargers is from rapid cylinder pressure spikes at incorrect moments in the combustion cycle.

The primary 'publicized' issue with the BBSC split second boxes is detonation, which led to engine damage, but this is not the only issue experienced by those who were running 12, 14, or higher psi of boost pressure. Some AEM-tuned high boost BBSC superchargers, where the split second boxes would not be a factor, experienced engine damage due to the high boost pressure on factory pistons.

While hotter intake charge temperatures will narrow the ignition timing envelope, the point is that the problems of other systems you cite were from faulty electronics causing pre-ignition - not 1.5 PSI higher intake charge pressure.

I will state it again, as you do not seem to be able to read my statements clearly:

9.5 psi of boost pressure is pushing the limits of an engine designed in the late 1980's, that probably hasn't been opened up in 17 years. 10.2:1 compression, 9.5psi of boost, no intercooling, no methanol injection, and no EMS capability to adjust to changing weather conditions. Given the lack of response to my earlier statement, it seems this engine is not even being monitered with a wideband oxygen sensor, or other safety devices.

Does this sound like an engine well suited for long term reliability to you? It doesn't sound like one to me.

I don't think we disagree that a cooler charge produces more power more efficiently. However, I can assure you that proper tuning including combustion timing has a greater affect than 50-100 degrees F of intake temperature.

You can run the engine with a higher air density, or you can throw a lot of hot air into the engine and retard timing - with these two options, you will make power. Which option sounds conducive to prolonged engine life, and performance?

I am not new here (you can see my join date of 2003 is prior to yours). I own both supercharged and turbocharged vehicles.

As I said, new to the forced induction forum here on nsxprime; you were mis-stating my expressed concern for this motor, and insisted I had a perceived bias towards "the system I own", a turbocharger. I corrected you, to say I have both supercharged and turbocharged the same NSX, and I am well aware of the benefits, and disadvantages of both systems. If you had been correct in your assertion, I would still have a supercharger installed, and I would be spouting about the dangers of turbochargers; instead a better system was released for the nsx, I recognized this, and purchased it for my car.

Rather than own different platforms with different forced induction solutions, I have run the different options on the same platform, back to back, at great expense and hassle, because the turbocharger is a better solution.

I personally feel that for the power range that most NSX owners are going for - which seems to be in the 100-150 hp increase over stock power - positive displacement superchargers like the ones used in the Comptech and ScienceofSpeed systems make the most sense.

I disagree; the nsx requires 400whp to truly reach it's performance abilities, this 400whp increase cannot be had with a high degree of reliability running higher boost pressures on a non-intercooled forced induction solution. Ideally, the engine will be refreshed, and a great deal of care will be taken to ensure a quality tune, a cold intake air charge temperature, and all supporting modifications to the fueling system, as well as required maintenance is performed; only in this way can forced induction, on a car which was not designed for it, be reliable.

8psi of boost pressure is a well-established figure in the nsx community; there are cars with considerable mileage, on stock engines, running this boost pressure. If you run a safe boost pressure, with a cool intake charge, a tunable EMS and a competent tuner, and are able to reach the 400whp figure, you will have a fantastic car. You are posting here because you "feel" a hot air supercharger makes more sense with this goal in mind?

My concern, and only interest in contributing to this thread, is the to see that proper information gets disseminated on these forums as it seems that there is much information on here accepted with out analysis.

I agree, information should be met with analysis; in your last post, you admitted you have not owned supercharged, and turbocharged, nsx's, and you have admitted your posting on this thread is based on your personal feelings, and not on facts. If you're concerned with unreliable information, you seem to be promoting the practice right now.
dunno.gif

I don't see how higher boost would necessarily cause rod bolts to stretch , usually higher RPM is what would cause this

Rod bolts will stretch from overboosting, or over revving; adding boost to the combustion process will increase combustion pressure, this will increase force on the pistons/rings, which will increase force on the rod bearings, which increases force on the rod bearing bolts.

An engine designed for high compression operation, being stressed by high boost pressure, then further stressed with high combustion temperatures, is going to have premature wear on the valves, rings, and pistons. If the tuner has retarded timing significantly, and the burn process is not efficient, that engine will experience increased wear of the rings and cylinder walls.

Rod bolts will stretch from overboosting, or over revving; adding boost to the combustion process will increase combustion pressure, this will increase force on the pistons/rings, which will increase force on the rod bearings, which increases force on the rod bearing bolts.

An engine designed for high compression operation, being stressed by high boost pressure, then further stressed with high combustion temperatures, is going to have premature wear on the valves, rings, and pistons. If the tuner has retarded timing significantly, and the burn process is not efficient, that engine will experience increased wear of the rings and cylinder walls.

If it makes you feel any better John, I believe the OP said that car did have the AEM EMS on it. And it was tuned with that AEM.

I am not sure exactly what the debate is here. 9.5 psi on the stock engine is nothing new - we've been doing Comptech superchargers at this pressure for quite some time now (4+ years?)

This has been enabled by the increase in availability of sophisticated engine management systems like the AEM EMS used on this car which offer fine tuning with wideband oxygen sensor and knock sensor feedback.

Now, if the debate is more on the lines of superchargers vs. turbochargers - that's obviously a debate that different people are very passionate about. We use both types of systems here, and we have both a turbocharged and supercharged NSX we use for R&D. Which system is best depends on what the use of the customer's car is.

For most customers driving their cars on the street with some track use, the instant throttle response of a positive displacement supercharger, the 140-200 wheel horsepower increase the system is capable of, and the 100% bulletproof reliability of both the mechanical and tuning system makes the most sense. The feel of a car like this is like driving a small block V8 with instant power available as soon as the throttle pedal is touched. That's what most of our customers are looking for. For customers looking for 500+ wheel horsepower setups, I think the turbocharger route is better suited.

cheers,
-- Chris

PhiAlpha,

If you are concerned about reliability we can trade supercharger setups. I think you will enjoy the peace of mind that my CTSC provides. PM me if interested.

PS - I have a the Science Of Speed sound system to sweeten the deal. :wink:

I am not sure exactly what the debate is here. 9.5 psi on the stock engine is nothing new - we've been doing Comptech superchargers at this pressure for quite some time now (4+ years?)

This has been enabled by the increase in availability of sophisticated engine management systems like the AEM EMS used on this car which offer fine tuning with wideband oxygen sensor and knock sensor feedback.

Now, if the debate is more on the lines of superchargers vs. turbochargers - that's obviously a debate that different people are very passionate about. We use both types of systems here, and we have both a turbocharged and supercharged NSX we use for R&D. Which system is best depends on what the use of the customer's car is.

For most customers driving their cars on the street with some track use, the instant throttle response of a positive displacement supercharger, the 140-200 wheel horsepower increase the system is capable of, and the 100% bulletproof reliability of both the mechanical and tuning system makes the most sense. The feel of a car like this is like driving a small block V8 with instant power available as soon as the throttle pedal is touched. That's what most of our customers are looking for. For customers looking for 500+ wheel horsepower setups, I think the turbocharger route is better suited.

cheers,
-- Chris

Chris,

Would you run 9.5 psi with an AEM FI/C and not the EMS?

PhiAlpha,

If you are concerned about reliability we can trade supercharger setups. I think you will enjoy the peace of mind that my CTSC provides. PM me if interested.

PS - I have a the Science Of Speed sound system to sweeten the deal. :wink:

Awesome hahahah:biggrin:

Back