• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Spare Tire ?

Hello all,

I recently purchased 2000NSX/Silver from Hollywood dealer. It does not have a spare tire and the dealer promised that he would purchase to put in it at the time of delivery. It arrived with a wrong size. I told him just ship the car to my place and ship the spare tire later. Now, it has been over 3months and it still has not arrived.

The question is: Do I really need the spare tire? or request money for the spare tire that he promised? If so, how much would it be? Thank you, all!!!!

can you spare some...

The question is: Do I really need the spare tire?
This depends on many things...

- do you care about weight-reduction?
- do you have AAA, or equivalent towing/roadside-assistance service?
- do you plan on doing a 'Big-Brake Kit' eventually?

I'd personally acquire an OEM spare and keep it w/ me. It gives added peace-of-mind.

Keep in mind that you need a compact air-compressor, of which you should have the OEM one in your trunk. Also, double-check that your 12v cig' lighter is functional, for which the OEM air-compressor depends on for power.

drtruong said:
or request money for the spare tire that he promised? If so, how much would it be?
You can acquire an used OEM spare (~$50-$150 +s/h) for your '00 NSX-T from...

- market-place forum here on NSX Prime (post a want-to-buy ad & also check the for-sale ads)

- www.ebay.com

- www.alltypeauto.com (they have a warehouse full of NSX parts from over the years)

Make sure to get the '97+ version of the OEM spare-tire (not the '91-'96 version), since it will need to fit over your larger OEM brakes.

Brand-new, the OEM spare-tire is listed for $875.22 and discounted to $654.23. It can be acquired from any online Acura parts vendor or bought/ordered through an Acura dealer parts dept'.

This car has been modified. The cig. lighter is converted to the ignition button. The spare tire would not do any good if there is no cig. lighter to pump the donut tire up. What would I do?

Please educate me- Why does air-compressor need to have a compact? What do I do?

I don't have AAA. I don't intend to use for racing either. It is for weekend driving. Thank you, again

Last edited:
some spare advice...

You can easily install another 12v cig' lighter for this very purpose by tapping into numerous spots in the NSX (ie. fuse-boxes, etc'). Go for a discrete location such as the arm-rest storage bin, ash-tray, glove-box, even the trunk, or anywhere else you can think of if your creative & enterprising!

If your NSX is lowered and/or modified (ie. really low after-market front-lip, after-market side-skirts, etc'), towing can be a real challenge (even w/ flat-bed 'wreckers). Hence why having an usable spare-tire has it's advantages.

You cold also convert the pump itself to alligator clips to hook directly to the battery since it's easy to reach with the spare tire out of the way.

I've had a flat tire in the past. It's really a pain if I didn't have a spare tire. I hate to think about having my car being put on a flat bed. Just my opinion.

Hopefully you have a stock hood, if it is a modified hood or carbon fibrer such as R type the spare won't fit. Make sure the jack is in the trunk as well.

Good luck,

Tytus

I've thought (and worried) about what would happen if I got a flat. If Player2 and I are on a trip, then there is no place to store the flat. I'd have to leave a very expensive 18" wheel on the side of the road. With that scenario in mind, it might be better to buy a can of that tire inflator foam or whatever it is instead of worrying about the spare tire. Of course you might still want the spare because it's part of the car that you paid for, and for those times when you could store the flat in the car (trunk if possible, front seat if not).

Most failed tires on an NSX that I have heard about that happen away from home while driving, there wasn't anything left to put a can of Fix-a-Flat into. There was usually a high degree of disintegration. The cans are only good for flats that are slow leak punctures such as a nail. For some reason the NSX tires go out with a bang. Just my limited experience so far. I wouldnt go anywhere without a spare, unless you run run flats, and even then I'm not comfortable.

Tytus

I've thought (and worried) about what would happen if I got a flat. If Player2 and I are on a trip, then there is no place to store the flat. I'd have to leave a very expensive 18" wheel on the side of the road.
All front wheels and tires, and most rear wheels and tires, will fit in the trunk when you need to use the spare. Granted, if you have a passenger and a full trunk, this might require rearranging stuff that was in the trunk and it might be uncomfortable for the passenger for a while, but it could still get you to the next stop in most cases. (And remember, the spare is designed for just that - to get you to the next stop, where you can get another tire, and not for long-distance traveling.)

it might be better to buy a can of that tire inflator foam or whatever it is instead of worrying about the spare tire.
In addition to the very valid point Tytus notes about the ability to use that stuff, it's also worth noting that the tire inflator foam is not a permanent fix, and in fact you will usually want to replace the foamed tire when you get where you're going. So it destroys the tire, but keeps you from getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Granted, if you have a passenger and a full trunk, this might require rearranging stuff that was in the trunk and it might be uncomfortable for the passenger for a while, but it could still get you to the next stop in most cases.

Yes, my wife would be quite grumpy if she had to carry a suitcase (or an 18" wheel) on her lap for any time :-)

Do you know if an 18x10" wheel would fit in the trunk (yes I'm lazy).

In addition to the very valid point Tytus notes about the ability to use that stuff, it's also worth noting that the tire inflator foam is not a permanent fix, and in fact you will usually want to replace the foamed tire when you get where you're going. So it destroys the tire, but keeps you from getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

If I get a tire puncture in the NSX, I would replace the tire (and possibly its mate). A plug repair might be okay for some cars...

Do any you know who would sell their spare for 2000 NSX? Thank you

Take a look in the NSX Parts for Sale forum. I have seen several there. I bought mine from there a while ago. You can also post a Wanted add in the Parts Wanted forum.

I have seen them selling anywhere from $50-100

Good luck.

need the bigger version...

Hey look at that .... one for sale on there now for $50.00!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105834

Not quite!

PhiAlpha44 (seller in aforementioned linkie')
NSX Details
1991, Imola Orange

Prospective buyer...

drtruong said:
I recently purchased 2000NSX

And, previously stated...

Osiris_x11 said:
... Make sure to get the '97+ version of the OEM spare-tire (not the '91-'96 version), since it will need to fit over your larger OEM brakes.

Do you know if an 18x10" wheel would fit in the trunk (yes I'm lazy).
It will, but that's not the real question. The real question is whether a tire mounted on an 18x10 wheel will fit in the trunk, and I think you'd have to try it out to be sure, one way or the other. If I were guessing, I would guess that it might depend on tire size; if you're using 255/35-18 rears, I'm guessing it would fit; with 285/35-18, maybe not. (The reason I'm guessing that the 255 would fit is that the stock rear tire width was 225-255 during the various NSX years.) In between - heck for any size - you'd have to try it, and it would be a good idea to do so in your garage, rather than when you're stranded on the road somewhere.

The other thing to remember is that you can remove air from the tire to make it more "squishable" and it might be easier to squeeze in a slightly-deflated tire than a fully-deflated one. (Hey, same idea as trucks letting out some air from their tires to squeeze under a low overpass.)

The other thing to remember is that you can remove air from the tire to make it more "squishable" and it might be easier to squeeze in a slightly-deflated tire than a fully-deflated one. (Hey, same idea as trucks letting out some air from their tires to squeeze under a low overpass.)

That wouldn't be a problem, if I had a flat tire :-)

I'll have to check to see if the rim+tire fits next time I have a wheel off.

Re: need the bigger version...

Not quite!

Prospective buyer...

And, previously stated...

Osiris_x11,

Sorry my bad ... I overlooked that! I guess my point was to check the Parts for Sale thread and he will eventually find one.

Back