• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Speedometer problem with CEL and TCS lights

Hi Gang,

I had some intermittent problems on my way to Gingerman, at the track, and coming home that maybe someone here can help with.

Symptoms:

Driving for 20 mins the speedometer starts to bounce down to zero and back up again. Eventually the CEL and TCS lights come on. If I shut off the car and re-start the problem clears until it happens again. Sometimes it stops working for a while and starts working for a while. Some times it just stays zero.

Interesting facts:

- Just had my transmission replaced - including swapping out my speed sensor with one from another 91
- At the track John Vassos (AoB) and his tech checked *visually* the connector to the speed sensor, the ground wire to see if connected, and sprayed some contact cleaner on the connector to see if it helped.

Any ideas? All thoghts and suggestions welcome as I am going to try to troubleshoot this on my own...

Maybe you need to get your original speed sensor back:). I think JohnV was looking in the right place.

HTH,
LarryB

I R&R'd my speedo a while back and forgot to tighten the [connection] screws behind the cluster down. The bouncing is [generally] what happens when the speedo gets an unhappy connection.

So you could have a bad connection somewhere AND/OR the sender is no good.

I would inspect the wiring harness from end to end and make sure there is no breaks, cuts or scuffs. Also that each disturbed connector is cleaned and reseated.

If that fails: replace the speed sensor.

AM

drew said:
I R&R'd my speedo a while back and forgot to tighten the [connection] screws behind the cluster down. The bouncing is [generally] what happens when the speedo gets an unhappy connection.

So you could have a bad connection somewhere AND/OR the sender is no good.

I would inspect the wiring harness from end to end and make sure there is no breaks, cuts or scuffs. Also that each disturbed connector is cleaned and reseated.

If that fails: replace the speed sensor.

AM

Thanks Drew,

Big reason I "think" it is the sensor or sensor connection is that the CEL light wouldn't go off if it was just the speedo needle. ICBW.

condeming the sensor

dood you are probably correct about the sensor.

I was just making an observation that a bouncing speedo can also be a bad connection.

The fact that your MIL (aka CEL) is going off probably means that the problem is downstream toward the information source.

Maybe, my post should have been: don't condemn the sensor without checking over the wiring harness first.

Just giving you more information so you can make good decisions.

drew

Re: condeming the sensor

drew said:
Just giving you more information so you can make good decisions.

drew

Thanks Drew - sorry if I didn't sound appreciative / thank you!

:)

Hi Nick,
If you weren't aware, the ECU *and* the TCS units each store their own DTC codes. The TCS unit can store up to 3 codes. In the '93 service manual the TCS codes are discussed starting on page 19-82. From the scenario you describe your codes are sitting in memory now waiting eagerly to breath free!

Great news - Brad at Autologic is going to send me back my original at no charge! Thanks Brad!

You Houston folks are very fortunate to have a lower cost option for professional and friendly service!

:)

Back