• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stainless Brake Lines?

I have been doing some research on braided stainless brake lines. I need some input. Who has put these on their cars? Can you really tell any difference in performance? Without a doubt they will look the nicest in the wheelwell, if you look. Is it really worth the $100? Obviously it is a good opportunity to do a brake fluid flush.

So far the lines sold at SOS look like the best.

Thanks
Brad

Re: Stainless Brake Lines???????

I put them on and the difference is quite noticable, the breaks feel much firmer and more responses. Buying from SOS is always a good idea.

OLDMNSX said:
I have been doing some research on braided stainless brake lines. I need some input. Who has put these on their cars? Can you really tell any difference in performance? Without a doubt they will look the nicest in the wheelwell, if you look. Is it really worth the $100? Obviously it is a good opportunity to do a brake fluid flush.

Thanks
Brad

I too just bought a set of these before NSXPO since I was flushing my brake system. It hadn't been done since I have owned the car.:eek:
I can tell a big difference in the pedal feel.
I got mine from Dali(red) and it came with the necessary hardware for mounting them. Am very happy with purchase.

I put these on all my cars and it firms up the brake pedal feel alot. Go get them-what's $100 bucks on an NSX.

OLDMNSX said:

The SOS lines are plug-n-play and they have the clear vinyl cover over the braided lines. In my opinion, they are one of the best and they are specifically made for the NSX. As far as for installation, my advice is to replace and bleed one corner at a time.

Does your brake pedal feel spongy? If not, there's absolutely no reason to replace the lines. I still have my original stock lines and the brakes feel just fine.

I have stainless steel braided lines for my brake and also brembo brake disc in front. Not sure which one contribute to better braking. Brake is more responsive now.

I had an 1995 NSX with low miles, and the braking sucked on that car. When I got my 03, the brake feels a lot better, but after I installed the Stainless micro mesh brake line it felt even better. Do it, you will love it.

Taj said:
The SOS lines are plug-n-play and they have the clear vinyl cover over the braided lines. In my opinion, they are one of the best and they are specifically made for the NSX. As far as for installation, my advice is to replace and bleed one corner at a time.

Aren't almost all the lines that people are selling Goodridge? I'm pretty sure Comptech, Dali Racing and SOS are all the same!

John McCain Racing said:
Aren't almost all the lines that people are selling Goodridge? I'm pretty sure Comptech, Dali Racing and SOS are all the same!

They could be. I just got the ones from Dali since they have the red sleeve one them.:biggrin:

John McCain Racing said:
I'm pretty sure Comptech, Dali Racing and SOS are all the same!
Not exactly. Comptech and SoS have physical addresses for their businesses, and both have a satisfactory record with the Better Business Bureau. As noted on its website:

Better Business Bureau said:
To have a "Satisfactory Record" with the Bureau, a company must be in business for at least 12 months, properly and promptly address matters referred to it by the Bureau, and be free from an unusual volume or pattern of complaints and law enforcement action involving its marketplace conduct. In addition, the Bureau must have a clear understanding of the company's business and no concerns about its industry.

I've bought braided stainless brake lines from SoS couple of months ago, installed them. Definitely braking felt better, then again when I saw my old oem brake lines I'm glad I've replaced them!

I bought a couple sets of braided lines from Comptech over the years and they were made by Goodridge. They didn't have a plastic coating over the stainless steel braid (which is why I regularly replaced them).

I'm not sure who manufacturers the braided lines I just bought from Dali, but they do have a plastic coating.

Anyone worried about the steel lines failing?
I could be wrong, but I always heard steal brake lines shouldn't be used on the a street car.

nsxtasy said:
Not exactly. Comptech and SoS have physical addresses for their businesses, and both have a satisfactory record with the Better Business Bureau. As noted on its website:

I was referring to the Stainless Brakes Lines they sell, but I think you know that Ken!

I have used stainless lines on track only cars and have had no issues. For street and the odd track event car I use the OEM rubber hoses and change them every 2-3 years. Every thing has a finite life including mine and I am not looking to shorten it. Brake lines are cheap.

If you do use stainless lines on the street there is another reason for DOT approved. In the event of a serious personal injury accident resulting from a ruptured line it might not be too comfortable sitting in a court explaining you logic on the choice of brake lines.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of your input and thoughts. I will take it all into account if I decide to purchase any Stainless Lines. I am thinking that maybe just a new set of OEM lines may be the best for the Old Mans "91" NSX.

Brad

I like SS lines. They give a good firm pedal feel.

You can read about the downsides of stainless steel brake lines in this essay.

As I understand it for a 91 the OEM lines are no longer sold. I'm concerned about undetected and eventual failures of SS lines and don't want to be replacing the lines every year. So I'd prefer OEM hell they lasted 22 years already. So is there an OEM/rubber option since Acura discontinued the rears?

Essay can be found here now

http://web.archive.org/web/20050310...es.com/SiliconValley/2499/essays.html#SSBRAKE

Last edited:
As I understand it for a 91 the OEM lines are no longer sold. I'm concerned about undetected and eventual failures of SS lines and don't want to be replacing the lines every year. So I'd prefer OEM hell they lasted 22 years already. So is there an OEM/rubber option since Acura discontinued the rears?

Essay can be found here now

http://web.archive.org/web/20050310...es.com/SiliconValley/2499/essays.html#SSBRAKE

Goodridge sells lines for a 91 NSX. Tire rack has them listed.

Back