• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Starting Price of low $150,000 range. Nope!!!!

Starting Price of low $150,000 range.
This is a shame for those of us who were interested in getting a new one. I was actually Very Interested in the car until hearing
the expected price.......$90,$100,$110 Maybe.....
Oh well I will just keep mine and watch the prices increase because most of the possible buyers of the new one are on here and already own an AMAZING NSX
and Very Few are going to be willing to pay that price....

Considering what it's up against, the price point is bang on if not a little on the cheap side.

Quite a few of us did expect it to come in around the $125k mark, but it does appear that they are pricing it more in line with some of the higher end brands and I can understand that rationale.

Was going to say, how much was the original car when it came out 25 years ago?

This one has had a lot more development and has a lot more tech to cram in.

For the old one it was conventional chassis and engine development, the new one is a completely new type of drivetrain that doesn't have anything like the level of understanding behind it in the industry.

Most cars are 2X to 3X the price or even more today compared to what they were in 1991. No reason why this one wouldn't be.
Or to compare in another way. in 1991 the NSX was ~1.5 years salary. Now the 2016 NSX is about 1.5 years salary. [my experience] (Oh, and car loans are much cheaper today.)

Honda US is not going to loose 50-100k on every car like Honda Japan did back then and Honda US knows much more about marketing and pricing than Japan ever did, does and will ever do. In Europe comparable cars are EUR 200k+. I guess that the price is 250k here.

If you consider inflation, the new NSX is about where it should be. $60K back in 1990/$75K in 1995/$90K in 2005 wasn't cheap either.

For the old one it was conventional chassis and engine development, the new one is a completely new type of drivetrain that doesn't have anything like the level of understanding behind it in the industry.

Nothing on the "old one" was conventional, not the all aluminium chassis neither the high revving aluminium engine with titanium connecting rods... I'll have to say that not even the tires... that were specific for the model! :wink:

Sorry, I should be more clear. The original was evolutionary I see the new one as revolutionary. Everything you mention about the original seems to be use of new materials for known components. The new car introduces new components.

Isn't the new car just a less-expensive collection of things that have been done

I am, by the way, half joking. I think it will be an extraordinary car. But so was the original when it was released.

Starting Price of low $150,000 range.
This is a shame for those of us who were interested in getting a new one. I was actually Very Interested in the car until hearing
the expected price.......$90,$100,$110 Maybe.....
Oh well I will just keep mine and watch the prices increase because most of the possible buyers of the new one are on here and already own an AMAZING NSX
and Very Few are going to be willing to pay that price....

I just don't think you can get a mid-engined twin turbo hybrid car for $90-110.
It's an unrealistic expectation.
At $150-160 base the new NSX offers an extraordinary value in my view.

I just don't think you can get a mid-engined twin turbo hybrid car for $90-110.
It's an unrealistic expectation.
At $150-160 base the new NSX offers an extraordinary value in my view.

Totally agree, but I don't like the prospect of it being a base price. While I love personalisation, I'm hoping for multiple zero cost configurations of trim material and colour both inside and out, and in typical japanese form, three spec levels which introduce fixed extras, like tech pack, cruiser packs, comfort packs etc.

It is frustrating when looking at a european car at a given price point to end up paying an extra 33% to configure it to the spec desired because every single individual options is separately priced and not competitively.

If this car starts to tend towards $200k when appropriately spec, even if it isn't a like for like comparison of spec levels, there are a lot of other cars that start to appear in the mix (not for me, nothing else has the drivetrain) but for the majority of prospective buyers there are a lot of options at $200k.

It is highly unlikely that acura will option buyers to death

not at all,any commuter in heavy traffic would like it.

Just heard that WHEN it goes on sale down under it will start at $400,000. Which puts it in 911 Turbo territory. Now it would be nice if it could match the Turbo's pace, but even then I'm thinking it isn't going to garner many sales, especially when you compare the cachet of Porsche against Honda (remembering they don't have Acura in Australia). Seems to me they are pricing it as a showroom queen, rather than attempt to see how many they can sell?

never buy the first year of production ever..... they will 1 work out any bugs, and 2 drop the price since sales are low. second year production will have no bugs in the hybrid system and the price will drop because
people still have the opinion that " im not gonna pay 120+K for a Honda "

so think before you jump into a the New NSX if you wait you will get the better car...

but my that's just 2 cents which is prob worth more like .0001

never buy the first year of production ever..... they will 1 work out any bugs, and 2 drop the price since sales are low. second year production will have no bugs in the hybrid system and the price will drop because
people still have the opinion that " im not gonna pay 120+K for a Honda "

so think before you jump into a the New NSX if you wait you will get the better car...

but my that's just 2 cents which is prob worth more like .0001

the NSX is not a civic or accord. It is not going to be a volume seller and will probably not make any money for Honda. In fact, they might even lose money per sale. It is a halo car, and the price will not drop. If anything, it will rise due to inflation. The price of the previous gen didn't drop, the price of the r8, the gtr, or other halo cars didn't drop with the lessening of demand.

In 1991 they were roped of in the showrooms with "do not touch" signs.

In 1994 when I purchased my 1st one new (Seattle), they were lined up on the lot with the other Acura's @ deep discounts.

In 2005 the only difference was deeper discounts.

Last edited:
how much was the original car when it came out 25 years ago?
When the NSX was introduced in late summer 1990, the MSRP was $60,600 including $600 for shipping. The first few months it was on sale, cars were typically selling at a premium of $10-30K. A year later, they were selling for around MSRP.

$60,600 in 1990, adjusted for the cost of living, is worth around $110K in today's dollars.

Back