• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

steering play

I know opening a "non-serviceable" steering box is needed but when changing out the bushing are any special tools needed such as a hydraulic press or other various tools?
See in the service manual. The steering gearbox is described in detail with all torque specs and special tools. The only thing that is not described is the change of the bushing as Honda doesn't sell it separatly. My friend is working on a description (in German) and I'll translate it in English if desired but it needs some time as we have to complete the CTSC install procedure first. Be patient. :)
This is not a simple DIY-task. That's why we highly recommend to let it install by a professional who knows what he's doing.

See in the service manual. The steering gearbox is described in detail with all torque specs and special tools. The only thing that is not described is the change of the bushing as Honda doesn't sell it separatly. My friend is working on a description (in German) and I'll translate it in English if desired but it needs some time as we have to complete the CTSC install procedure first. Be patient. :)
This is not a simple DIY-task. That's why we highly recommend to let it install by a professional who knows what he's doing.
Thanks very much for the insight. Will look into the service manual. Like Mac_Attack said.. i'm in for a group buy!

Last edited:
I'm guessing this isn't limited to manual steering as mine is a 95 and has power steering and has that sloppy play in the wheel and the squeaking.

Would replacing my EPS with a manual rack fix this issue?

Maybe, we've admit that I only know a handful of EPS cars with low miles out of over 100 cars I know here in Switzerland. We couldn't test it on EPS car. Our bushing surely works on 91-94 or cars with a manual gearbox.

I've just finished the instructions paper 5 minutes ago. So we'll be able to supply it very soon in a group by.

Just a quick question, when you say 390SFR (swiss franc?)(460US$), is that for the part itself, or installed?

Just a quick question, when you say 390SFR (swiss franc?)(460US$), is that for the part itself, or installed?
This is the price of it installed. But we know that a lot of people outside of Europe will get only the part and sending a steering gearbox takes a lot of time and money.
We'll be offering the part itself in the vendor's section in June I think and start a group-buy. To faciliate things we have a pp account and accept $. It will have instructions of how to change it. But it's not a simple DIY. But a good mechanic should be able to perform the steps.
I've just seen that you're in Norway. We also send the part only to within Europe. The pricing will be figured out and will be adjusted if the currencies 'go bingo-bongo'.

Last edited:
This is the price of it installed. But we know that a lot of people outside of Europe will get only the part and sending a steering gearbox takes a lot of time and money.
We'll be offering the part itself in the vendor's section in June I think and start a group-buy. To faciliate things we have a pp account and accept $. It will have instructions of how to change it. But it's not a simple DIY. But a good mechanic should be able to perform the steps.
I've just seen that you're in Norway. We also send the part only to within Europe. The pricing will be figured out and will be adjusted if the currencies 'go bingo-bongo'.

Thanks for your quick reply, I'll be on the list when you get the part and pricing ready.
I consider myself above the average DIY'er in mechanical skills, so I dont think installation will be a problem.

I didn't want to muck up the GB thread so I'll post my question here before signing up for the GB.

So I understand... the alternative to our play/noise problem is just to buy the entire #1 assembly? Which is the steering box assembly priced around $600+ USD.

steering-gear-box-223433.png

I didn't want to muck up the GB thread so I'll post my question here before signing up for the GB.

So I understand... the alternative to our play/noise problem is just to buy the entire #1 assembly? Which is the steering box assembly priced around $600+ USD.
Yes, the alternative is $936.35 ($700+discounted) for the entire assembly. Unless the car has very high mileage it doesn't make sense to change the whole unit. Our part is reinforced and should offer a longer life than the OEM bushing.

Are these bushings still available?! How much are they shipped to the US in US dollars?

Back