• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stereo system durability: year-on-year

Briank said:
95 and earlier have problems but that is misleading because about 90% of the NSX's out there are 95 and earlier.
.... & obviously older amplifiers though - the caps in the amps (as Brian knows) are a degenerative disease & age & temperature definitely play their part in their longevity (or lack of).
I'm not aware of any design changes with the later amps so will presumably start to fail as they reach the end of their critical life.

Briank said:
95 and earlier have the most problems but that is misleading because about 90% of the NSX's are 95 and earlier.
Brian, do you have any history on ones you've replaced? ie. how long they last after being replaced? I've noticed that most of the commercial places that replace the caps only warranty them for 1 year .. 2 at the most. Is it possible to use caps with higher temp ratings to get longer life? .. I'm presuming that it's heat that causes them to breakdown and leak.

I have been repairing amps for over 3 years and have not seen the replacment caps go bad on the ones I have fixed but the originals lasted 8 or more years in the first place. I use 105C rated caps which are the same rating as the originals. Capacitor rated for more then 105C are very expensive and only used for military equipment where cost is secondary to reliability.

Last edited:
Back