• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stereo upgrade since already doing Climate control repair?

Hi everyone - been lurking for a few years, and finally got my NSX (a black 1996 T, 5 spd) last June after dreaming of owning one since they first came out. Now I'm looking to do some work while I've got the car in storage for another month or two.

The climate control unit is bad (came that way when I got it - imported from the US up to Canada, so didn't get to check it out first), so I'm looking to send that to BrianK for a repair. I've got stereo issues as well - very quiet, when I turn it up it sounds like crap - regardless if it is a CD or radio. I'm thinking I should just replace the whole setup, especially since I'm going to take apart the center console to get the CCU out.

Just looking for some advice - I want to keep the original console in factory condition, preferably. I purchased an uncut Dali carbon console on Prime, and was thinking about using that to put in a DD stereo. If I do so, what do I all need to do to make this a reality? Door speakers presumably, but what about amp, etc.? I understand the current amp is in the passenger foot area, do I replace that with something else? How big a job is it to replace the factory stereo, speakers, etc.?

Or should I just get the speakers rebuilt? I know this is a bit of a subjective question, but I don't even know what a decent NSX stereo sounds like, so I have no idea if it is worth saving vs. replacing it altogether.

I'm not an audiophile, so I don't need really a expensive stereo replacement - just something that functions well, and sounds good. I'd like to upgrade to include ipod, and if I put in a CD player in the DD then I don't need the CD in the trunk. Nav would be nice, but not necessary at all (nor is DVD). I won't be driving this baby anywhere that I don't know where I'm going, and won't be watching movies while driving.

Thoughts? I'm tempted to pull the factory stuff, install decent aftermarket (with the carbon uncut console), and hang on to the factory stuff in case I ever want to put it back to full stock (which is unlikely). But I don't do a lot of stereo work myself, and wonder if I'd be getting in over my head in this. I'd love to hear from others that have been in a similar situation as me.

Thanks for reading.

I'm not an audiophile, so I don't need really a expensive stereo replacement - just something that functions well, and sounds good.
Based on this statement, I would just send the speaker-amps out to Briank and let him refurbish them. You really don't need to spend a whole lot of money on replacing the entire setup.

I'd like to upgrade to include ipod, and if I put in a CD player in the DD then I don't need the CD in the trunk.
The easiest, cheapest way to accomplish this is to buy an inexpensive cassette-to-3.5-mm-plug adapter to listen to your iPod. The sound quality won't be great, but that's a limitation of the iPod as well as the cassette adapter.

If you want to do anything more than that, I bet Briank can advise you on how to install a jack for a 3.5 mm auxiliary plug, and then you can use a male-to-male 3.5-mm plug cable to connect from your iPod.

If your biggest concern is an iPod connection, that is easy:
Lots of info here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121560

I personally, would get the amps fixed by BrianK, install the iPod connector and then see how you are with the stock sound.

You could also keep the OEM headunit and replace the amps and speakers.
SOS has some kits that take the guess work out of it.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/ProFormance_Audiophile/

You could also just use them as a reference if you wanted to create your own.

Sounds like you'll be more than satisfied with the oem stereo. You can easily spend over $1000 on equipment and labor (if not doing it yourself). I did my system myself and with patience so can you.

Thanks folks - I think I'll fix the speakers and do an iPod addition (I hate the sound of the fm transmitter option, prefer to plug in directly) and see where I'm at. I also don't like that it's almost impossible to see what the stereo says for a readout (particularly in bright light) but I can live with that I guess.

Back