• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stereo upgrade

After living on this forum since it started, I've decided to upgrade my oem nsx bose system. I have broken down a wish list of what i want and what i have to start with. I want to be able to play cd's, mp3's and watch dvd's. Like the look of hugh's system and chris k's(i do want my ashtray door ). Hugh's look is what i'm shooting for headunit wise. this is what i want.

1. SOS nav pod. 2. alpine cda-7998 head unit. 3. alpine-tma-m760 monitor. 3. SOS hks system. 4. 8inch sub.
This is equipment I'd like to have or pricing now anyway. How can i play dvd's with this setup without a big dvd changer???? Would probably only have a few dvd's in the car anyway. Is there a nav, dvd, cd and mp3 player combo that will fit in my oem cd-changer spot???

What i've got so far to start.
1. sos pod. 2. a set of boston 5.25 coaxial's 3. diamond audio component system m351 5.25mids 4. Kenwood excelon 501f 4ch amp. The amp and component system were given to me:D

things i'm debating

1. Navigation or not??? Nav is expensive and requires a nav player thing. I really don't know if i need the nav system, but i want the display for dvd, hks and back-up camera purposes.
2. Does the pod get in the way, is it to big??
3. Should I get the pod or an in dash retractable screen
4. Are the 5.25 diamond components big enough or do I need to upgrade to a 6 1/2 mids? Sould i use the boston's instead and not have to cut holes for the tweets???
5. Is the amp adequate for the component system and an 8inch sub?
6. which 8 inch sub to use???
7. what can i do with that center channel thing? would like to have voice from nav coming out.
8. Sos replacement console, dali console or have mine fabricated.
9. The alpine cda-7996 plays dvd's!!! But it doesn't retract!!!!!! I want to have the retractable face. the din 1/2 size of he 7998 would cover the opening when open. Also don't think i really need the alpine pxa-h700 processor like chris k's.
10. If I get what i want in the want list, will i get to play mp3's cd's and play dvd's, without a nav cd-rom and a dvd chager?
11. will the 7998 control everything form one remote?????

Any input is very welcome. Need to get the final pieces(head unit, screen and some sort of dvd,mp3,cd player) and make a decision by fri or sat.

stereo upgrade

great!!! some feedback from a pro!!! Well what other alternative do i have? I want a retractable face like the 7998. But I also want the nav pod. Do I switch head units and brands, or ditch the nav totally? I the amp I have sufficent ? What about the component system?

you have so many questions here, i honestly wouldnt even know where to begin especially since im not up on all the hardware thats available today. your best bet is to find a good car audio shop thats local to you and sit down and spend some time with them.

Ok here is my 2 cent's.
I am no stereo freak but here it is.

Free is Free, its a good deal than work with it.
But if you want to do it right I would get the new Pioneer unit due out April 1st. I think.

1st, Alpine nav stinks, its too slow and wrong alot.
I would chose the new Pioneer model, you can talk to it, its quick, and you can play dvd's on it.

2nd, Hks camp is a waste of money.
The new pioneer unit will tell you how fast you are going, rpm's and I think g force's.

3rd, the pod does not get in the way, but it does not flow with the inside lines to well.

4th, I would go with 61/2, bigger is better. :D

5th, Boston's Pros Suck. I have them and don't care for them.
If you want them I will sell the for 100 bucks. :D

6th, The oem bracket can be made to fit a new dvd changer or cd player.

7th, Any good 4 channel amp will work fine for the Nsx.
I would mount it behind your seat, not in the trunk.
I have mine in my trunk and it over heats, thanks to my Tubi with no heat shield.
But that's up to you.

8th, you don't need both a pod and a retractable screen, one or the other is fine.
But I do have both. :D

9th,I would go with the SOS dash if you have the cash, if not you could mod yours and if you mess it up call for SOS. ;)

10th, You don't need the processor with the speakers you have, if you went out and got a set of Focal's or MB Quart's I would step up.

11th, The 7998 should control everything form one remote.

12th, punt and start over!

13th, http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289592369

Last edited:
Quote: From Pova4re :
3rd, the pod does not get in the way, but it does not floe with the inside lines to well.

:D Man I agree.
Get the MB Quarts, Keep the TV off the dash.

Ko-nsx said:

Would probably only have a few dvd's in the car anyway. Is there a nav, dvd, cd and mp3 player combo that will fit in my oem cd-changer spot???
OK, sorry for my original brevity - I am travelling in Europe & extremely jet-lagged at original response!
Ignore my initial comment - you can indeed do what you are suggesting, with the 7998 head and using an Alpine cha-s680 DVD changer - it will operate in stand-alone mode into the tme-760, even if you select a non-alpine head unit, incidentally, although with the ai-net system, they will plug & play together with excellent comatibility. See the product manual here - has all the hook up options starting on page 50. It's not cheap however, $900 retail price ticket.

Other questions:
1. Navigation or not??? Nav is expensive and requires a nav player thing. I really don't know if i need the nav system, but i want the display for dvd, hks and back-up camera purposes.

You don't need it - can add later however if you decide you really have to have. Can be non-Alpine if you want, too.

I think the nav pod looks fine, it intergrates quite well with the oem console - you need a stout heart to screw it through the top of your dash however! (I'm currently evaluating ways of securing without having to do this)

I like the pod, but that's all personal taste. Note that you need to wire the monitor up as a "rear seat" monitor to enable it in the dash position - technically illegal!

4. Are the 5.25 diamond components big enough or do I need to upgrade to a 6 1/2 mids? Sould i use the boston's instead and not have to cut holes for the tweets???

Get 6.5's - you'll enjoy richer sound. If you don't want to cut holes in your doors for the tweets, consider the CDT Braxials which have the seperately crossed-over tweets co-axially mounted on the mid-driver.
http://www.cdtaudio.com/braxialadvantages.htm

5. Is the amp adequate for the component system and an 8inch sub?
There's an endless selection of amps out there - todays technology allows a lot of affordable options & this will have less immediately noticable impact to your sound quality compared to your speakers & head.

6. which 8 inch sub to use???

Personal preference here on your part - again, lots to choose from.
Elemental Designs make a product with great reputation in the audiophiile community - good SQ/SPL combined response a extremely affordable price - good value, not merely a "cheap" price. (They sell direct)
http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/8a.htm
It will work in a sealed box with relatively small volume, but does need 5" mounting so check it will fit with your selected box supllier.

7. what can i do with that center channel thing? ...

Not much!!!!!

A good shop will be able to use existing console - DIY is easier with the SOS, but still possible with the OEM

9. The alpine cda-7996 plays dvd's!!! But it doesn't retract!!!!!! I want to have the retractable face. the din 1/2 size of the 7998 would cover the opening when open. Also don't think i really need the alpine pxa-h700 processor like chris k's.

See opening commemnt re 7998 - personally prefer the 7996 & from a cost standpoint, much, much cheaper than 7998 plus cha-s680!

10. If I get what i want in the want list, will i get to play mp3's cd's and play dvd's, without a nav cd-rom and a dvd chager?

yes!( well, at least for 7996)

- 7998 will require the cha-s680; neither will require the nav cd-rom)

11. will the 7998 control everything form one remote?????

Basically the remote will control the primary functions of the head & the changer - believe you'd use the changer remote - you may find not all options are covered by using one or the other.

Good luck - sounds like you pretty much know yourself what you want & are pretty close with your selections of being able to do exactly what will meet your requirements.

len3.8 said:
Quote: From Pova4re :
3rd, the pod does not get in the way, but it does not floe with the inside lines to well.

:D Man I agree.
Get the MB Quarts, Keep the TV off the dash.

O.K Len:D Then how about a tv in the console instead of the nav pod? Already bought the nav pod.
Getting some ideas, prime is a great resource.

Re: Re: Stereo upgrade

prova4re said:
Ok here is my 2 cent's.
I am no stereo freak but here it is.

Free is Free, its a good deal than work with it.
But if you want to do it right I would get the new Pioneer unit due out April 1st. I think.

1st, Alpine nav stinks, its too slow and wrong alot.
I would chose the new Pioneer model, you can talk to it, its quick, and you can play dvd's on it.

2nd, Hks camp is a waste of money.
The new pioneer unit will tell you how fast you are going, rpm's and I think g force's.

3rd, the pod does not get in the way, but it does not flow with the inside lines to well.

4th, I would go with 61/2, bigger is better. :D

5th, Boston's Pros Suck. I have them and don't care for them.
If you want them I will sell the for 100 bucks. :D

6th, The oem bracket can be made to fit a new dvd changer or cd player.

7th, Any good 4 channel amp will work fine for the Nsx.
I would mount it behind your seat, not in the trunk.
I have mine in my trunk and it over heats, thanks to my Tubi with no heat shield.
But that's up to you.

8th, you don't need both a pod and a retractable screen, one or the other is fine.
But I do have both. :D

9th,I would go with the SOS dash if you have the cash, if not you could mod yours and if you mess it up call for SOS. ;)

10th, You don't need the processor with the speakers you have, if you went out and got a set of Focal's or MB Quart's I would step up.

11th, The 7998 should control everything form one remote.

12th, punt and start over!

13th, http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289592369

why do you have both screens? Is the pod better than an in dash screen? Dont like alpine nav or nav period?

thanks d'ecosse!! glad you opened up. I've decided to ditch the nav. Still want the pod and the 7998!!! I like the pod a lot and i like the cda-7998!!! But after seeing prova4re's flip screen, makes me think I should scratch the pod, get a good flip screen so i can play dvd's and call it a day. Also decide whatever head unit I get has got to be retractable. Can't explain but to look in and see nothing then, BAM, everything is folding out!!! Kinda like pulling a girl's bra up:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Anyway definetly have to have a retractable head unit.

The 7998 does fold but, no dvd playback. Man the changer to enable dvd playback is expensive. Gonna get 6-1/2's for components drivers. ok here's the update,

1. No NAV!!
2. 6-1/2 driver upgrade.
3. Keep the amp I got.

In the air-
1. SOS pod or indash folding monitor for dvd playback?
2. What the heck else can i use the screen for other than dvd playback?

thanks everyone for all the feedback. Very helpful. Making the move by Fri.

Re: Re: Stereo upgrade

D'Ecosse said:
OK, sorry for my original brevity - I am travelling in Europe & extremely jet-lagged at original response!
Ignore my initial comment - you can indeed do what you are suggesting, with the 7998 head and using an Alpine cha-s680 DVD changer - it will operate in stand-alone mode into the tme-760, even if you select a non-alpine head unit, incidentally, although with the ai-net system, they will plug & play together with excellent comatibility. See the product manual here - has all the hook up options starting on page 50. It's not cheap however, $900 retail price ticket.

I agree with the DVA-S680 DVD changer if you are set on the 7998. In fact, I put my CHA-S624 CD changer up on ebay and am planning on getting the DVD 680 changer at a latter date. It plays DVDs and CDs so you can load half with CDs and half with DVDs or whatever combination you want. It is a lot larger than the standard 6 disk CD changer though so it probably will need to go in the trunk in the OEM location.

I think the nav pod looks fine, it intergrates quite well with the oem console - you need a stout heart to screw it through the top of your dash however! (I'm currently evaluating ways of securing without having to do this)

I'm a short guy at 5'4" and even with my seating position the NAV pod doesn't get in the way of my view at all. I have no problem seeing over the pod and out the front window.

I too have no guts to screw the pod into the dash so I haven't actually mounted it securely yet. I am toying with different ways to mount it securely enough without the screws through the dash. My car is in the shop so I haven't given it much thought lately though. I heard SOS was coming out with a mounting bracket that doesn't need the dash screws. I wonder if they are getting close to releasing it?

I like the pod, but that's all personal taste. Note that you need to wire the monitor up as a "rear seat" monitor to enable it in the dash position - technically illegal!

I too prefer the JDM OEM Nav pod instead of a retractable screen in the NSX. The slope of the NSX console IMHO doesn't flow well with a retractable screen for my eyes just as the pod doesn't flow well to others peoples eyes. I had a CVA-1005 in my Legend and I loved it, but not in my NSX.

7. what can i do with that center channel thing? ...

Not much!!!!!

Keep in mind everyting in car audio is a major compromise compared to home audio, but with that said, in a car I personally feel you can get an effective center channel with a small speaker. The main point in this case is to lock the vocals on the screen. My idea is to use a small 3.5" or maybe a 4" (If it can fit) in a custom sealed enclosure within the back of the Nav pod. If you don't know, the LCD screen itself only takes up about 1.5" of the very front portion of the Nav pod. The rest is just empty space. The only major problem with this is that the center speaker driver will fire back toward the front windshield. In most cases this is not an idea placement, but with equalization I believe it can be an acceptable center channel.

A good shop will be able to use existing console - DIY is easier with the SOS, but still possible with the OEM

I personally went with the SOS console simply because I keep my OEM parts just in case I need/want to return my car to 100% stock. You hear a lot of owners on this forum talk about how aftermarket parts or modifications will lower the value of the NSX. At least in my case, I can return my car to 100% stock if/when I want to without having to locate use parts or buy new parts at that time. I just put them away in a box and store it in a closet or something

Good luck with your project. Audio is very subjective to just go out and audition some of the equipement. Keep in mind that auditioning them in a store is practically of no use if you are trying to determine any sort of sound quality since it will sound very different in different cars, but you can get a good idea of the feature, layout and such to see if it meets your criteria. Buy equipement that works well together. For example, the H700 I have does work with other headunits through its analogue inputs, but it is words better with an Alpine Ai-Net unit and using its fiber optic inputs.

PS, about loosing my ash tray. The components I have could fit in the 2DIN stock locations. The only reason why mine is spaced out lower which intruded into the ash tray area is because of the Alpine 7894 deck I was using before. Because of the steep slope of the NSX console and my seating position, I could not view the 7894s LCD screen as the angle was too off axis. I would get sort of a ghosting effect when trying to view the LCD and see everything even if it were not light up. What I had to do was angle the deck downward so I had a more direct line if sight. Unfortunately, because the AC unit also inserts into the dash at a downward angle, I had no room to angle the deck down if it was left in the stock location just under the AC controls. I had to lower the front end of the deck rather than raising the back end which hit the AC controls. That meant I was about 3/4" lower than the stock 2DIN starting point. Anyway, to make that long story shorter, the 7996 has a contrast control which would help the viewing angle so I probably could return it to the stock location and still view it without the downward angle. The 7894 did not have this feature. My viewing problem could also be because I am only 5'4". If I were taller I probably would not have had the viewing problem at all.:p Also, if Tein ever releases the in car adjustable shocks for the NSX its control unit will go right under the H700:D

Last edited:
Ko-nsx said:
....In the air-
1. SOS pod or indash folding monitor for dvd playback?
2. What the heck else can i use the screen for other than dvd playback? ....
1. Bear in mind that you probably can't use both fold-outs, the 7998 & the in-dash fold-out screen - they will interfere, regardless of which unit you install, top or bottom and frankly look extremely odd with both out I think. If you go 7996 of course you could use the Alpine TME-M790 foldout in-dash monitor - again, very expensive option compared to the NavPod/TME-M760 combo option - $1600 retail on the TME-M790! Since you are both budget conscious & overall desire for the 7998, go the pod route. Note that you can always install the head & monitor now & run all the cables etc & buy the dvd changer later when budget allows - at this point this will be simply an easy in-trunk install with all the hard work already done if you prep at time of head install.

2. If you want a low cost fun thing to utilize your monitor for in the meantime, install a video camera - either rear or forward facing or both! Cheap on E-Bay, got a really compact model personally for $90. That will literally just plug right into one (or two) of the available input channels of the monitor.
I bought this one on E-Bay

D'Ecosse said:
1. Bear in mind that you probably can't use both fold-outs, the 7998 & the in-dash fold-out screen - they will interfere.

Gonna do the 7998 for head unit. the nav pod for dvd and back up camera. I like the lines of the pod with the car instead of a fold out screen. Trying to look oem and stealthly. the 7998 fold away and the nav pod looks kinda oem. Looking for a changer now will post pics soon. thanks for all the feedback

Do not use a flat screen in the dash.
I did and the angle of the dash is a problem, your not looking at the screen at the right angle.
On top of that the sun will wash out the screen, with the pod the tv sits up at the right level.
The pod has a overhang on it to shade it.

I have both screens just for the heck of it, its the same reason I have a PS/2 in the glove box.

The Alpine nav is to slow, I like the Pioneer allot better.
The nice thing about the fold out screen is, you can adjust the angle to what you like.
When it is folded down you can't tell its there.

If I was you I would look at the Pioneer first, it can do all the things you want it to.
Mph, tach, DVD, MP3, CD,Nav, fold down screen, back up camera with reverse image.
Under 2000 buck's its the best piece out there right now.IMO

The Alpine doesn't have reverse image for the camera.
The Alpine works on a 2 switch system to operate the TV wile you drive. That's a pain in the but, every time you turn off the car you have to hold on the brake hit the switch twice. and then let go of the brake.
With the Pioneer you don't have to do any of that.
I do like my Alpine gear but there is better stuff out right now.

Thanks to Wood's great looking install, I scraped the CB
I am now installing a boost and AF gauge in the ash tray for my bbsc.
Later Brian.

prova4re said:

The Alpine works on a 2 switch system to operate the TV wile you drive. That's a pain in the but, every time you turn off the car you have to hold on the brake hit the switch twice. and then let go of the brake.

Later Brian.

You need/needed to get the electronic bypass switch. It is just a simple timmer circuit that imitates the Alpines foot brake and hand brake sequence and automatically disables the lock out feature upon start up. I bought mine for about $25 online. It worked like a charm on my CVA 1005. On the TME-M760 monitor though you do not need any bypass switch as the unit comes with a loop plug that disables the lock out. This is intended for use when you install the monitors in the rear away from the drivers view were it is legal to have them on all the time.

prova4re said:
Thanks Chris, I did not know that.
Now were can I get one? :D

Oops, it wasn't quite $25 but $49.95. I'm sure there are other brand out there but this is the one I bought.
http://www.randrspecialty.com/autoelectronics/demomodule.html

Here is a picture of my actual unit. I bought two of them but only used one. This one has never been used so if you want to but it from me you can. I'll sell it to you if you want it. It comes with the wiring instructions. The quarter in the picture is just there to show the size of the unit.
original.jpg

xenarc carputer

will the xenarc mp-sc1 carputer work with the alpine (tme-760?) nav screen that fits in the pod? Looks like a good alternative for me with the mp-3 dvd and nav issues? Any feedback?

Hi Chris
I have heard mixed reviews on that unit, have you had any problems with it cutting in and out?

prova4re said:
Hi Chris
I have heard mixed reviews on that unit, have you had any problems with it cutting in and out?

Nope. So far so good. I actually sold that whole unit with the module to my friend and it has been working well for him as well. At least he has never mentioned any problems to me and I see and ride with him often enough. There may be other brands out there as well I just bought the first one I saw.

What the heck is this stuff?

I know what CD's and MP3 are 4--and doesn't MP3 kinda do away with the CD need? Do you actually use DVD's for movies and do you actually use it? Nav unit--that's the stuff on the Cadillacs etc where it can guide you someplace using a monitor right? What's the purpose of the rear or front camera's--parking? I can see DVD's in a SUV where the kids can watch in the back but in an NSX?? Enlighten me please

Re: What the heck is this stuff?

jrehner said:
I know what CD's and MP3 are 4--and doesn't MP3 kinda do away with the CD need? Do you actually use DVD's for movies and do you actually use it? Nav unit--that's the stuff on the Cadillacs etc where it can guide you someplace using a monitor right? What's the purpose of the rear or front camera's--parking? I can see DVD's in a SUV where the kids can watch in the back but in an NSX?? Enlighten me please

I'm not speaking for anyone but myself here. The rear camera when I personally added it to my NSX was simply a novalty item. I wanted to see of I could install one in the key hole and make it look good. I think it turned out well. Also, working at a TV station, every so often we run a story on how a kid was hiding behind a car and got hit or run over. Sure, you could walk behind your car and check, but there is always a chance that after you get in and maybe put something in the glove box a kid could have gotten behind your car to hide from a friend. The rear view camera has a really wide view where you can nearly see right below the bumper (Well, maybe about 2 feet on the ground from your bumper).

As for MP3s, I don't listen to them because I prefer the CD. MP3s are compressed music and while I can't tell the difference on most of the well compressed MP3s, I can on many of them.

I do not use the DVD while driving, but I do use it for car shows, or when you are just waiting for the wife or someone. It makes waiting in the car go by much faster.

Most importent I just enjoy installing these sort of things. Just like how some are really good at body work, or engine work, car audio was my hobby and it is fun creating custom work. Some may not like to work with fiberglass and sand a part for hours, but I enjoy it especially when I get to enjoy something I put together in the end. Nothing is really needed. Just like how having a car that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and tops out over 165MPH is really not needed. :D

Re: Re: What the heck is this stuff?

ChrisK said:
Most importent I just enjoy installing these sort of things. Just like how some are really good at body work, or engine work, car audio was my hobby and it is fun creating custom work. Some may not like to work with fiberglass and sand a part for hours, but I enjoy it especially when I get to enjoy something I put together in the end. Nothing is really needed. Just like how having a car that does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and tops out over 165MPH is really not needed. :D
I could have written your entire post myself Chris - very much aligned with you on all of the above, but especially the last paragraph.

Back