• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steven Seagal training Aikido with Anderson Silva

This is a really cool video I ran into. Steven Seagal showing Anderson Silva a bit of Aikido:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FaVDFW_o1cA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice video seeing him in action.

I saw one of his new movies and he looked slow in there and it looked like he's got a hair transplant.

Still he's pretty cool.

Seagal is a joke imho, feeding off the sport of MMA to keep the little bit of fame he has left alive.

He's just a cook....or a glimmer....and of course I would think twice before answering his ads for domestic help:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Seagal is a joke imho, feeding off the sport of MMA to keep the little bit of fame he has left alive.

Are you saying the video is all a show? I certainly don't think he is in fighting shape nor do I think he could take Anderson Silva, but what he is teaching him is real. People tend to think MMA is the same as a street fight, it isn't. MMA is a sport. See how many times Seagal asks "is this legal?"...

I mean I train with MMA guys 7 days a week now, have been for 15 years, and I can tell you that I have to untrain myself against certain things. In general we are not consious enough of protecting our eyes and groin. Both of which are illegal in MMA. I can absolutely tell you that unless you have sparred with a real Aikido master, you won't know what it is like. It is very real, and I find much in that art to be quite useful. Seagal is well respected in Aikido circles, so IDK why you are saying he is "a joke".

Jeff Speakman is a fat ass now too....though i wouldnt mess with either of them.

Jeff Speakman is a fat ass now too....though i wouldnt mess with either of them.

Generally speaking, you don't wanna mess with any fat ass, in terms of pure strength anyway.

I'm almost 6' weight at 145 lbs, workout daily, maxed out benching at 335 lbs (i.e. 3 plates and a ten on each side), can curl up to 50 lbs on biceps and I'm no match to my 220+ lbs fat ass friend in arm wrestle. Literally KO me within seconds.

There's no replacement for displacement, humans and cars alike. :biggrin:

Are you saying the video is all a show? I certainly don't think he is in fighting shape nor do I think he could take Anderson Silva, but what he is teaching him is real. People tend to think MMA is the same as a street fight, it isn't. MMA is a sport. See how many times Seagal asks "is this legal?"...

I mean I train with MMA guys 7 days a week now, have been for 15 years, and I can tell you that I have to untrain myself against certain things. In general we are not consious enough of protecting our eyes and groin. Both of which are illegal in MMA. I can absolutely tell you that unless you have sparred with a real Aikido master, you won't know what it is like. It is very real, and I find much in that art to be quite useful. Seagal is well respected in Aikido circles, so IDK why you are saying he is "a joke".

Gene Lebell will tell you how legitimate Seagal is, as well as Seagal's underpants.

I do realize MMA is a sport. I have been in the cage myself before so I know how it goes :wink: As a student of BJJ and boxing I have little need for Aikido. Sure my eyes and groin are vulnerable but as soon as I get you to the ground, which won't take long and you start reaching for my grown or eyes its just going to be that much easier to get you where I want. Shortly after you will be snoring or screaming.

first there was bench racing.......but now comes...BENCH ROLLING........:confused::eek:

As a student of BJJ and boxing I have little need for Aikido.

Aikido is one of the arts I have respect for. So you and I both have first hand knowledge of MMA but I guess will just disagree on this.

I didn't mean to imply in ANY WAY that a good MMA fighter will not be a good street fighter, that is a few small steps away and most street fighters know very little of technique. I am not putting down MMA and I know how quickly I can submit someone. But all arts except BJJ and MT are definitely not bullshit, it all depends on the artists and his skill level. I find many useful moves in Karate, TKD, Judo, etc. I take a lot of what I feel fits me and my body type. Always learning. To sit back and say Aikido has little value is just being closed to an art. What I learned in Aikido actually helps me during BJJ.

Like I said MMA is a sport, and some of the tendencies to fight in a certain MMA-safe way are not good. Early UFC's were much better. Seeing Royce headbut Kimo and Keith Hackney punch Joe-Son in the groin over and over was a different world than what UFC is today. Back then you could see teeth fly and arms break.

Generally speaking, you don't wanna mess with any fat ass, in terms of pure strength anyway.

I'm almost 6' weight at 145 lbs, workout daily, maxed out benching at 335 lbs (i.e. 3 plates and a ten on each side), can curl up to 50 lbs on biceps and I'm no match to my 220+ lbs fat ass friend in arm wrestle. Literally KO me within seconds.

There's no replacement for displacement, humans and cars alike. :biggrin:

LOL... Owen I think your technique needs work. Just kick him in the groin and his arm will go real quick...

LOL... Owen I think your technique needs work. Just kick him in the groin and his arm will go real quick...

Naw man, forget that, too much trouble.

An easier way to solve the issue is to just use my middle finger dial a number on the cell phone and have a few guys come to beat the living crap out of him. I will still have my satisfaction. :cool:

Sure. Now watch Silva do his best moves ever- as he dodges, and avoids having to fight Cheal Sonnen again.

LoL

Sonnen = idiot, and on roids.

Back