• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

still love my nsx, but............

Let me start... if you are a judgmental person, you may want to leave now. I recognize that my discussion is just the ramblings of someone who is fortunate enough to have this issue.

In any event, I've had my NSX for a longer period of time than any other car I've owned (6.5 years) thus far. I love the car and I've made it look just like I'd like it to. However, I find that I'd like to try something different. I've seen lots of people go and come back to the NSX and I don't want to do that.

I love the "exoticness" of the NSX. I don't like it's lack of name recognition from none car people (and no, I didn't buy the car because of other people's perception, but it is fun to have a special car and it would be even better if people recognized what it is by what its called). I have lust in my heart for a Gallardo, unfortunately, howver, it's not in the cards right now (i.e., I can't afford it yet).

I wouldn't mind having more power (though I don't feel like the NSX is slow, it's just slow compared to my slightly mod'd SRT8 Jeep!).

If I sold it, I'd need to replace it with something that was at the same price point (30-35K). I've thought about a Viper (seems like it'd be fun, but the interior is just awful and they lack every creature comfort that is otherwise available in most any other car); an Elyse (seems like it'd be fun, but the interior is actually more spartan than the Viper); a C5 Z06 or a C6 Vette (they are not unique enough, visually or otherwise, so it's off the table); a Maserati (too expensive to maintain)... I can't think of any other "exotic" cars that blend decent performance, great handling, good reliability, and are at that price point.

I definitely want an "exotic" car and I find myself coming to the following conclusion... until I can afford the Gallardo, the NSX is probably still the best car for me.

I feel ya on this. There is no reason we should have to keep all of our cars forever anyway. This love affair with never selling a car is crazy to me. Part of the fun is owning and driving different cars. I have just passed a year of ownership and if somene offered a good price I would consider letting the car go. That being said everyone wants something different to replace it. Personally, I think the NSX in stock form is very, very slow by today's standard of cars. The 2002+ cars are a tad better with gearing and a bigger engine but still no torque.

Anyway, I would look at getting a used Porsche C4S. If you can spend a little more get a used 996 GT3 or 996 Turbo and you will be glad you spent more. The porsches have better interiors than the NSX, plus they are more up to date technology which is nice. They handle excellent and their power is very nice especially if you go with a turbo or GT3.

I was going to mention a BMW but for that price you won't find something worth purchasing I think. The Lotus "Elise" is nice but the Exige is waaay better. They actually have more headroom than most NSX cars do I found out. Good luck with your purchase and don't feel bad at all with this.

Let me start... if you are a judgmental person, you may want to leave now. I recognize that my discussion is just the ramblings of someone who is fortunate enough to have this issue.

In any event, I've had my NSX for a longer period of time than any other car I've owned (6.5 years) thus far. I love the car and I've made it look just like I'd like it to. However, I find that I'd like to try something different. I've seen lots of people go and come back to the NSX and I don't want to do that.

I love the "exoticness" of the NSX. I don't like it's lack of name recognition from none car people (and no, I didn't buy the car because of other people's perception, but it is fun to have a special car and it would be even better if people recognized what it is by what its called). I have lust in my heart for a Gallardo, unfortunately, howver, it's not in the cards right now (i.e., I can't afford it yet).

I wouldn't mind having more power (though I don't feel like the NSX is slow, it's just slow compared to my slightly mod'd SRT8 Jeep!).

If I sold it, I'd need to replace it with something that was at the same price point (30-35K). I've thought about a Viper (seems like it'd be fun, but the interior is just awful and they lack every creature comfort that is otherwise available in most any other car); an Elyse (seems like it'd be fun, but the interior is actually more spartan than the Viper); a C5 Z06 or a C6 Vette (they are not unique enough, visually or otherwise, so it's off the table); a Maserati (too expensive to maintain)... I can't think of any other "exotic" cars that blend decent performance, great handling, good reliability, and are at that price point.

I definitely want an "exotic" car and I find myself coming to the following conclusion... until I can afford the Gallardo, the NSX is probably still the best car for me.

All I can say is I feel your pain. I'm constantly going thru this same thing mentally and after spending the last 7 years buying and selling cars, Porsches, and now have an NSX. Before that I had bimmers. Oh the trials and tribulations of a car owner that is hardly ever satisfied with what he has. Or is it just not satisfied long with what he has - whatever - I believe it is a terminal illness....lol.

I have struggled with all this over and over and if I ever bought another car - hell I don't know what it would be. I go back and forth on it. It really depends on what you want the car for or what you want out of it. I struggle with all that. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have another 911 and then sometimes I think perhaps I should get a bimmer, not just any bimmer but maybe a vintage bimmer.....geez it is torture.

There is something else involved in this - it's the chase - the excitement of chasing cars and finding them and then when you get it somehow it never really lives up to expectations somehow - it's hard to explain. It's actually as though finding and searching for the car is more fun than owning it.

Then there's driving it - finding time to drive, making time to perhaps take it to a track and check that out or maybe just finding time to get in it for a run through the mountains sometime - geez it just gets complicated sometimes doesn't it? I guess what it boils down to is that I would love to have more than one fun toy - an 88 BMW M5, a neat 2002 tii of mid 70s vintage but allready gone thru, a 67 cherry 911S - but then that would be really expensive - but fun!!!, maybe a muscle car like an old GTO, 442, Mustang Boss 302, or Camero - or maybe a new Camero, Challenger, Mustang Boss 302. The list is endless I'm afraid.

I wonder if I'm the only one that suffers this affliction or whether all us sports car owners fee like this? Like I say "troubles, troubles", what to do, oh what to do??? When you come up with an answer let me know! :biggrin:

For me, the issue with the 911 is that they are a dime a dozen around here (outside of Wash. DC). I'm intriqued as I could finally take both of my children (2 and 5) and my wife for a ride in the "Sunday" car! On the other hand, I don't think the turbo is in my price range and I'm concerned about the engine issues I hear about in the non-turbo...

no question about that! Like I said, nice problem to have!!! While I cannot yet afford the Lambo, I'm very thankful to be in a position where I can afford a toy such as the NSX.

More power will make you fall in LOVE all over again.
A turbo package tuned to produce 400 Rwhp will set you
back 10 grand. Give one of the guys near you with a turbo
a jingle and I'm sure they would offer you a ride.

Trust me!

I have had 2 Lamborghini's, a NSX, a ferrari, 3 Vettes and a Porshe and guess what I got for Christmas................ and 05 NSX. The speed is more than adequate and to be honest NONE of the previous listed has the inexpensive maintenance the NSX has.

Lamborghini: Nice to look at, not as nice to drive long distance and expensive to maintain.

Vettes: American made POS. Around 40-50K miles the rattling kicks in and the values drop like a rock. Comfortable long distant driving.

Ferarri: Nice to drive as long as it is mostly local, very expensive to maintain and depending where you live difficult to find a quality mechanic.

Porsche: Rough ride overall and stiff clutch, great car, fast and nibble but I did not like the "smallness" feel of the car overall. And repairs are $$$$$

Back to the NSX: Speed, a little lacking unless mod'd, looks I believe is right up there with the rest, maintenance next to nothing and dirt cheap. Depending on the year and model you buy depreciation is minimal. Long distant driving is pleasure.

That's my $.02 on this. If you have unlimited funds (which you are stating you dont) the NSX is the way to go. Just tweak it and you can have plenty of power.

Hope that helps or at least contributed in a positive way.

I have had 2 Lamborghini's, a NSX, a ferrari, 3 Vettes and a Porshe and guess what I got for Christmas................ and 05 NSX. The speed is more than adequate and to be honest NONE of the previous listed has the inexpensive maintenance the NSX has.

Lamborghini: Nice to look at, not as nice to drive long distance and expensive to maintain.

Vettes: American made POS. Around 40-50K miles the rattling kicks in and the values drop like a rock. Comfortable long distant driving.

Ferarri: Nice to drive as long as it is mostly local, very expensive to maintain and depending where you live difficult to find a quality mechanic.

Porsche: Rough ride overall and stiff clutch, great car, fast and nibble but I did not like the "smallness" feel of the car overall. And repairs are $$$$$

Back to the NSX: Speed, a little lacking unless mod'd, looks I believe is right up there with the rest, maintenance next to nothing and dirt cheap. Depending on the year and model you buy depreciation is minimal. Long distant driving is pleasure.

That's my $.02 on this. If you have unlimited funds (which you are stating you dont) the NSX is the way to go. Just tweak it and you can have plenty of power.

Hope that helps or at least contributed in a positive way.

Thanks for the reply. That is helpful. I have to agree that the NSX is probably the best choice... too bad the budget doesn't allow for more than one!

An "older" (late 70's ~ mid 80's) Turbo Porsche is what you need. While the internal engine mods might be expensive, the other bolt-on stuff is not (as compared to our cars). If mechanically inclined, you can do most repairs/upgrades yourself. They are very easy cars to work on (heck, you can drop the engine single-handedly in under 1 hr.).

Not mine, but I wish: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...0526544?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a0ca156d0

Last edited:
An "older" (late 70's ~ mid 80's) Turbo Porsche is what you need. While the internal engine mods might be expensive, the other bolt-on stuff is not (as compared to our cars). If mechanically inclined, you can do most repairs/upgrades yourself. They are very easy cars to work on (heck, you can drop the engine single-handedly in under 1 hr.).

Not mine, but I wish: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...0526544?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a0ca156d0

The things I dont like on that one is the antique gauges and the purple interior. Cant beat only 2 owners and the low mileage.

The things I dont like on that one is the antique gauges and the purple interior. Cant beat only 2 owners and the low mileage.

I just grabbed the first one I found on EBay that was in his desired price range. Due to the huge numbers of 911's stamped out over the years, there are so many companies making aftermarket parts (and so many individuals selling genuine parts) you can change anything/everything...interior, suspension, tails, splitters, etc. at your whim. You just don't (easily) find complete NSX interiors laying around.

382 matches for "Porsche gauges": http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?...ges&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

Last edited:
30-35K < Turbo Porsche (unless you go old)
30-35K > Z06 / C6

The Corvette would be my choice for that price range. The new C6 / Z06 is the best bang for you buck.

Last edited:
The NSX is the longest that I've owned any car. Coming up on the 8th anniversary of ownership. I am very fortunate that I now have 2 toys and do not have to sell the NSX. There's something about it that as long as I don't have to, I won't let it go. Yes, it's dependable, sexy, exotic, comfortable, reliable. Yes it's also a little "underpowered" by today's standards, the interior is very dated, it doesn't have any fancy "electronic nannies", but.............................It's plenty fast in real terms (under 5seconds 0-60), everything is where it belongs, and the feel/balance is near perfect. I do love getting in my Ford GT and hitting the go pedal, the torque pins you to the seatback, but I also love just taking off the car cover on the NSX, firing up that almost 8 year old battery (still works fine, I know I'll regret saying that) and going for a drive, still puts a smile on my face after 57,000 miles. There will always be a more powerful car, better features, gadgets, etc. These things don't make it a "better car" than the NSX, only different. Sometimes you need to move on to realize you made a mistake, and if that's the case, you can always come back, many have done that and more than one time as well. Do what makes you happy, what puts a smile on your face, don't put yourself and family at risk by buying something that you can't afford to maintain, it'll only force a sale at a price you won't be happy with. Take your time, when it's right, you'll know. Good luck no matter which way you go.

It sounds like you need to wait for the gallardo. I don't think you will find much in that price range that fits what you are after.

For me the only thing I would replace the nsx with is an r8, gallardo or Ferrari.

Though I really did like the 997 turbo but it is still pricey.

35k isnt going to buy you much of an exotic...

take a look at F355. might not find one for 35k, but they look awesome and they are exotic.

You can get a number of older Ferrari models for that price--308, 328. 348, and ,possibly, a 355 which needs a ton of work. The only problem is that you'll likely need more $$$ to sort out all of the usual issues/kinks to get them up to where you want --ie performing almost as an NSX. I know of a guy who recently got the deal of the century on his dream car--$35k for an immaculate, low milage 348. After getting it home, it wound up costing yet another $25k to sort out a multitude of hidden problems.

A car which recently has caught my eye is the new Lotus Evora. However, it's twice the amount you want to spend.

Last edited:
You can get a number of older Ferrari models for that price--308, 328. 348, and ,possibly, a 355 which needs a ton of work. The only problem is that you'll likely need more $$$ to sort out all of the usual issues/kinks to get them up to where you want --ie performing almost as an NSX. I know of a guy who recently got the deal of the century on his dream car--$35k for an immaculate, low milage 348. After getting it home, it wound up costing yet another $25k to sort out a multitude of hidden problems.

True. You really need an "exotic" check-book to maintain a real exotic. I once looked at a Ferrari GT4 in great condition for $22k. I opened the glove box and found a receipt for the rebuilt transmission...$17k. :eek: If you think the 30k/60k maintenance schedules are pricey for our cars, wait until you take the Ferrari in...up to $30k for some cars (e.g. F40).

If you want a face slap of reality, do an E-Bay search for Gallardo mod parts (front bumpers, exhaust systems, clutch, etc.)... :frown:

I'll stick with my NSX and Porsches, thank you.

Its tough even with 40-50grand u really can't buy anything. Once you get into the 60k range then some doors start to open up. An nsx is only respected by someone who owned one or knows something about it. An average joe off the street will think its silly to pay 40 grand for a 15year old honda. The average joe thinks my 02 m3 is worth more money than my 97nsx

The NSX is the longest that I've owned any car. Coming up on the 8th anniversary of ownership. I am very fortunate that I now have 2 toys and do not have to sell the NSX. There's something about it that as long as I don't have to, I won't let it go. Yes, it's dependable, sexy, exotic, comfortable, reliable. Yes it's also a little "underpowered" by today's standards, the interior is very dated, it doesn't have any fancy "electronic nannies", but.............................It's plenty fast in real terms (under 5seconds 0-60), everything is where it belongs, and the feel/balance is near perfect. I do love getting in my Ford GT and hitting the go pedal, the torque pins you to the seatback, but I also love just taking off the car cover on the NSX, firing up that almost 8 year old battery (still works fine, I know I'll regret saying that) and going for a drive, still puts a smile on my face after 57,000 miles. There will always be a more powerful car, better features, gadgets, etc. These things don't make it a "better car" than the NSX, only different. Sometimes you need to move on to realize you made a mistake, and if that's the case, you can always come back, many have done that and more than one time as well. Do what makes you happy, what puts a smile on your face, don't put yourself and family at risk by buying something that you can't afford to maintain, it'll only force a sale at a price you won't be happy with. Take your time, when it's right, you'll know. Good luck no matter which way you go.

Likely one of the BEST replies I've been privileged to digest here on Prime in all the "looking elsewhere" threads through the years.

I have a 996 twin turbo Porsche modded to around 550hp to the wheels and I can tell you that it is a blast to drive and always puts a smile on my face. The down side is that everytime I drive it I feel I am tossing a dollar bill out the window for each mile I put on it. Porsche people like low mileage cars. The maintenance has been nil. On the other hand I have a 96 NSX that I love driving and don't feel bad taking a thousand mile run as mileage doesn't seem to matter to us NSX owners. I did feel like the performance was lacking so I decided to get a turbo kit installed after driving a supercharged car. I haven't picked the car up yet from the turbo install but am sure once I do this will be the ideal car for me. I think the Porsche does have some curb appeal that people recognize. I am actually thinking of selling the Porsche as I put such a small amount of miles on it. I think about 500 miles all of last year. Keep the NSX and put a turbo on it and it will be the PERFECT car.

Last edited:
35k isnt going to buy you much of an exotic...

take a look at F355. might not find one for 35k, but they look awesome and they are exotic.

Took the words right out of my mouth! :eek:

Exotic in my mind is 6-figure at the VERY LEAST.....so yes I do not believe the NSX is an exotic. (and I LOVE my NSX too)

Stop fooling yourself and just buy what you enjoy, most exotics take an "exotic" checkbook. My exotic checkbook goes to my daughter right now :)

keep you nsx and just add some key mods..boost and a more performance oriented suspension.

the Majority that have posted say Keep the NSX.

yeah if your looking for some more power gets some bolt-ons and be happy.

like Kookoo said a SC or Turbo will def give you the power your Lusting for.

if you go the Bolt-on route keep all your Original parts as you might wanna go back to OEM one day.

like other have said none are more reliable than the NSX compared to the other choices.

good-luck I would just get another NSX but thats just me.

get a 20K 91-92
beat the shit out of it and have fun doing it.

but in the end its your money and what we say doesnt matter

Last edited:
THANKS, for the good insight. I have had the good fortune to own many 1960's performance cars mostly SHELBYs, TIGERs, PANTERAs, GT-40s. The one thing I have noted is most of the current owners of these cars have reached the age that the cars are sold or never used. My first venture into new iron came with an 2001 S-2000, super car but no respect except tuners. The first NSX a 1991 last year led to a 1998 so now I have 2 both are a joy to own and drive, NSX PRIME is a bonus most marque do not enjoy. JD

Back