• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stink Bug Problem

I been having a really big problem with these stink bugs this year. My girlfriend and I pulled and flush about 50 of them. These bugs do bite and I have gotten sick of it. Should I get an exterminator?? Is there something I can spray around doors and windows?? Also, if you use a chemical would it effect our dog. Any freaking advice would help out us so much!!! I posted a quick picture so you know what they look like.

Attachments

• brown_stink_bug_adult.jpg
    brown_stink_bug_adult.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I wish i could tell you somthing these bugs are nasty.

Yeah they are so gross. I thought there was one guy on here into some kind of animal control maybe/ pest control? I cant remember his name but I do remember something in his sig saying he had a black NSX and called it his "tuxedo".

Yeah they are so gross. I thought there was one guy on here into some kind of animal control maybe/ pest control? I cant remember his name but I do remember something in his sig saying he had a black NSX and called it his "tuxedo".

I have'nt seen him post in along time plus he specializes in vertebrate pests..I would just google it.

I have'nt seen him post in along time plus he specializes in vertebrate pests..I would just google it.

I havent seen him post in a while also. I guess he cant help me out also. I have a bad feeling I going to have to call an exterminator and have him help for a small amount of time before it gets cold and they all die off. Then I have to get all my doors and windows sealed or something. I cant see any real easy ways for these bugs to get in so Im pretty confused. My friends and family seem to have problems with them also but in my house its got out of hand. When you find 100 bugs in one day it seems a little to much.

They are a major issue here in Maryland as well. Based upon my research there is very little that can be done to control them. Also, they don't die off in the winter, they come inside.

Last year I had a bad problem at my house with these things, and noone else did. Now this year everybody I talk to has issues with them. I catch and flush also.

Don't think I've ever seen a sink bug but my parents have beetle problems in PA...

If they're coming in from the door jams can you just stick some glue traps along the width of the door or a towel and also coat things with that blue powder that kills cockroaches? That's if you don't have kids or pets around. I dunno. Seems like anything that gets rid of cockroaches works for other things too.

Not sure if they are the same type of bugs but I had a similar flying insect at a rental and did some research. I ended up using warm water and Dawn in a spray bottle and that killed them. I was pretty shocked it worked so well.

At the beginning of this summer we had a really bad worm problem (the ones that curl up in a ball when you touch them. At first I thought we got them from some sod that was put down in the back but I found out later that everyone had them and there was a story about it on the news it got so bad. I didn't treat them because everyone said it would be a waste of money. As quickly as they appeared they disappeared.

Thats weird I never found one during the winter. If I did find one its was dead and dried up. I will try this soap thing with warm water. So do spray it right on the bug or do you use this around doors and windows?

Thats weird I never found one during the winter. If I did find one its was dead and dried up. I will try this soap thing with warm water. So do spray it right on the bug or do you use this around doors and windows?

I'm not 100% sure it's the same bug but if it is I sprayed it right on the bug and it dropped dead almost immediately.

I've also heard about the 50/50 mix between water and dawn soap.. and it kills them. I don't have any around my place, but they seem to be everywhere else. It's a major problem in the Mid-Atlantic region this year.

Also if you get a shop vac you can just suck them up en masse. It will save you from handling them, dead or alive.

I didn't catch from your original post- are you finding these bugs inside your house?

If so, where are they congregating for the most part?

If not, where are you finding them?

I didn't catch from your original post- are you finding these bugs inside your house?

If so, where are they congregating for the most part?

If not, where are you finding them?

I have been finding them in my house for the most part. Some outside here and there.

I find them in the master bed room buy these french doors and by a near by window. Also, I find them by the window in another bedroom where there is an AC unit.

Also if you get a shop vac you can just suck them up en masse. It will save you from handling them, dead or alive.

I had so many that I used a shop vac also. I got really tired of flushing them. I flushed so many of them and TP paper I ended up clogging one of my toilets.:mad: I used the shop vac and then let them soak in bleach to kill them. I was looking for something to spray around windows and doors but by the news cast posted by a member here thats just going to make them stronger. I thank everybody for the help. I think Im going to go with a shop vac and them soak them all in bleach before we go to bed.

Last edited:
This is the very reason that Doug stopped washing his dishes. Most of his pots and pans dropped dead after using Dawn. He's afraid to go near his own kitchen! :eek:

That's the very reason I haven't been in my kitchen in six months!:eek: Steve told me to wash my dishes with Dawn and it would serve as an insecticide at the same time. Well, I took his advice and EVERYTHING is dead. Pots, pans, glasses, vegetables, etc. You name it and it's DEAD! Stuff even melted my counter tops.:eek:

If you don't mind using chemical sprays, head over to Home Depot or local equivalent. They have plenty of sprays that will work. I used the 'Bayer Advanced Home Pest' spray. Comes in a big blue container. I sprayed most of the exterior borders/margins and focused on the windows and door frames. I began my stink bug assault on Saturday after years of suffering in silence. The carnage has been impressive... probably 300-500. The next test will come after the rain clears and we have another sunny day.

Back