• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock '91 tires

BI've searched threads but have come up with little advice regarding 1st GEN stock tires.

I'm looking for:
1)"decent" tread life....no track days or autocross so "200's" are likely not an option
2) safe at temps above freezing when driving moderately aggressively in the mountains (E. TN.. Western NC)
3) relatively quiet/low road noise
4) price is not a huge factor as annual mileage is probably less than 4K miles/yr

I've searched Tire Rack and Discount tire and come up with possibilities: Any comments/recommendations would be appreciated.

A) Conti Extreme Contact Sport (tread wear 340)
B) Dunlop Direzza DZ102 (460)
C) Kumho Ecsta PA31 (500)
D) Geostar RX615 (540)
E) Hankook Ventus V2 Concept 2 (500)
F) Yokohama S Drive (300)

Thanks for ANY input !
Jim III

What are you replacing (ie what are you used to)?

I haven’t driven on any of the above. But I would go with the Continentals based on how they have been reviewed. With your limited mileage I don’t think tire life is that much of a problem. Tires age out too and driving an NSX on crappy tires is not fun; that I have done.

(A), (B), (F) are my choices given your criteria. (B) seems to have the best treadwear rating, however at 4k miles per year (or less) I don't think treadware will be a major issue.

I have just bought option C, the Kumho Ecsta PA31 for $350 out the door. Suited my needs for street tires and didn't cost much. Review coming soon!

I run Dunlop Direzza DZ102 on my 15,16" OEM fat fives. I would recommend them. I have had no issues, I even put them on the track at NSXPO2017.
reviews on tirerack.com are accurate for dry / wet traction and wear.

Back