• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stock antenna vs shark 2 question

My 96 needs a new antenna. Apparently I have to replace the whole shoot'n match, motor and wand etc. Inquired about the lower profile shark 2 type antenna in a previous post. I like the looks of that type of antenna and people say the reception is ok. The cost to replace the whole stock assembly is pretty steep. My question is if I choose to go with the shark or similar , then I don't need the antenna motor or other accessories correct? What is the install or what is needed for me to add the shark to my ride?

Is it as simple as plugging the shark into the harness/wiring for the radio? They want $400 or so for the motor and wand and install, and if I want to go the way of the shark, then I don't need any of that stuff correct?

Thanks. Jason

But if I'm leaning towards the shark or similar, I don't need the motor etc right? The shark just attaches at same spot and wires to the antenna feed?

I was able to replace the mast for about $60 after mine got broken by an errant garage door, about 10 minutes

I was in the process of having the dealership replace everything but making last minute lean towards that shark. So I can save $400 buy not getting new motor assembly and other equip associated with the wand. That's great. this forum rocks.

Where's the best place to order a shark from? It shark 2 the most recent? Or is there now a 3 or 4 etc?

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go this way, I have a lift in my garage and as long as the stock antenna is, I know I'll forget to put it down one time and drive under the lift and snap it.

Jason

Where's the best place to order a shark from? It shark 2 the most recent? Or is there now a 3 or 4 etc?

Thanks for the help. I'm going to go this way, I have a lift in my garage and as long as the stock antenna is, I know I'll forget to put it down one time and drive under the lift and snap it.

Jason

I picked mine up from www.locustom.com
You don't need the extended cable.

Greg

I picked mine up from www.locustom.com
You don't need the extended cable.

Greg

The Shark Attack II antenna is actually made by Metra Electronics Corp. part# 44-UA46

Do a google search on "Metra 44-UA46" and you should find a few other people who carry it.

I also purchased mine through Locustom.com and the Metra part is what they sent me.

Back