• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Stock exhaust differences?

Other than layout, does anyone know if there were any internal changes between the 91-94, 95-96, and 97-05 exhausts? I have seen some posts where the 95-96 are claimed to be slightly louder than 91-94, or that the 97-05 "flow better" than the NA1 exhausts. Can anyone actually confirm this? I'm thinking about going back to stock with NA2 headers for my refresh project.

Are you just talking about the muffler section?
They seem about the same to me. The piping going into the muffler is about the same from 1995 - 2003.

Just be sure when you upgrade the exhaust that you get everything (muffler, cats & headers) from all the same year.
I saw a 14.6HP and 9.8 ft-lb gain from going from stock 1995 full exhaust to 2003 full exhaust on my 1995 NSX.

I was curious to know if they improved the 97+ muffler flow to account for the headers and increased displacement. I have 98 headers and 91 cats plus the SOS header adapters. AFAIK, the cats are the same flow, but just have different fitments.

How hard is it to fit baloney tips (i.e., 95+) to a 91 muffler?

I was curious to know if they improved the 97+ muffler flow to account for the headers and increased displacement. I have 98 headers and 91 cats plus the SOS header adapters. AFAIK, the cats are the same flow, but just have different fitments.

How hard is it to fit baloney tips (i.e., 95+) to a 91 muffler?

Hacksaw + Megs ST918 tips and a welder.

(http://www.coneeng.com/exhaust_tips.html)

Honcho, I upgraded to a full (header, cats, muffler) /04 system on my /94. It may flow somewhat better (it does sound a bit better) and the gains mentioned in one of the other posts above sound reasonable. However, the gains are of such magnitude that I don't think one will feel the difference. I certainly dont. Its possible that with a less restrictive muffler additional gains can be had and perhaps installation of the upgraded air intake and a less restrictive muffler would result in my feeling the difference. I may go that route later this summer.

Best,
Jeff

Thanks guys. You are all going to laugh, but the reason I am thinking of going back to stock was I was watching one of my Best Motoring videos this weekend and I found myself wishing my NSX sounded like the ones in the video. My RM Racing exhaust sounds awesome and vicious, and everyone who hears it loves it too, but I think I am just ready for a change. It only adds about 5-10 hp up top, so i don't think I'll miss it. I'm thinking about doing the RDX injector mod next winter, which will add much more power than a muffler anyway.

I thought I had seen some threads a few years back where someone cut up a NA1 and NA2 muffler to compare them...

I thought I had seen some threads a few years back where someone cut up a NA1 and NA2 muffler to compare them...
I remember Trev (ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffman) cut up a 91 exhaust but I don't remember anyone doing a NA2 comparo.

I also vaguely remember another guy opening up his stock exhaust and posted pics. I don't recall if that was an NA2 muffler though but I do recall it was nothing sensational. That was on the Norcal NSX Facebook page.

Back