• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stoptech Brakes, NSX Trophy Brake System

stoptechheader.jpg

for more information:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/braking_performance_parts/NSX/Stoptech/big_brake_system/

Stoptech brakes have easily become our most popular big brake system upgrade. We really prefer this brake system for a number of reasons including balance, caliper stiffness, rotor design, and pricing.

1. balance:
Unlike all other brake systems available for the NSX - the Stoptech front and rear brakes were designed as a set specifically for the NSX. The ST40 (a forged aluminum four piston caliper) was designed with tapered pistons that are biased for the front and rear of the NSX taking into account the factory master cylinder dimensions, line pressure, and weight balance. Externally, the calipers look identical. Internally, the balanced piston sizing means an easy to modulate brake pedal, balanced front to rear bias, and maximum use of tire traction.

We have strongly urged other manufactures to provide us a properly designed balanced system for the NSX - however, the answer has always been that there simply isn't enough volume for them to commit to the NSX. We give Stoptech a lot of credit to dedicate the effort to the NSX to produce a properly designed system for this "niche" market.

A good detailed explanation of this is provided here:
http://stoptech.com/Products/BBK/balance.shtml

2. stiff calipers:
Stiff calipers are extremely important. A stiff caliper reduces deflection under load. Deflection under load gives up force generated by the pedal and master cylinder. The Stoptech caliper through finite element analysis was designed to be one of the stiffest calipers available. A number of features sets this caliper apart, including the patented bolt-in bridge. The Stoptech ST40 caliper has significant less deflection than other popular calipers, including the Brembo "Lotus", F50, and Porsche 993 calipers. The ST40 caliper, used in the NSX kit, is the same caliper used by top placing Grand Am and World Challenge race teams. More information here:
http://stoptech.com/Products/BBK/stiffest_calipers.shtml

3. rotor design:
Not only great looking, the Stoptech patented rotor design maximizes the rotor's ability to dissipate heat. This increases pad and rotor life and maximizes durability on the track. More information here:
http://stoptech.com/Products/BBK/best_rotor_airflow.shtml

4. pricing:
The Stoptech brake system achieves the highest level of performance for the price. In fact, it's priced significantly less than other systems that do not deliver the same balance and caliper rigidity.

Previously, the main point holding us back to recommend this brake system has been caliper to wheel clearance. The Stoptech caliper is wide. It's design is made to maximize caliper rigidity, and to allow thick brake pads for maximum life and durability. However, with the large increase in wheels with excellent brake clearance, the options have greatly opened up. We've including a list of wheels available here:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/braking_performance_parts/NSX/Stoptech/big_brake_system/

There is also a large list of other wheels available for the NSX that clear Stoptech available on NSXPrime.

Trophy Brakes:
Stoptech has just released the "Trophy Big Brake Kit". The Trophy Big Brake Kit is centered around the STR-40 caliper, which is based on the ST-40 caliper, but with the addition machining to reduce weight by 20% without an effect on caliper rigidity. The caliper and AeroRotor hat are hard anodized to save that extra nth degree of weight and to provide a durable and impressive looking finish.

STR-40web[1].jpg

for more information:

Last edited:
STOPTECH SALE:
We've been asked by our customers for a sale on Stoptech brakes.

We're offering, until the end of March, a group buy for customers looking for complete front and rear setups.

Please call 480-894-6277 or e-mail ([email protected]) for sale pricing! Too low to advertise.

more information:

We already have three kits ordered, so we've met the minimum group buy amount. Please give us a call or drop us an e-mail if you'd like to place an order.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Last edited:
There were some questions on the plating of the rotor discs. The plating of the discs are a yellow zinc which is a gold/silver color. Keep in mind that his plating wears off immediately where the pads contact the disc. However, what is left is the area in between the rotors, the chamfered cross drilled holes, slots, etc. which cuts down on surface corrosion. It's a helpful addition to keeping the rotors looking nice.

-- Chris

Chris

Does the "addition machining to reduce weight by 20%" in the new Trophy system, make the caliper smaller that would then allow more choices in wheel fitment? Or..... was this done to reduce the weight only?

thanks

I do hope you keep using those shots, they capture the setup perfectly and are a real credit to synth19's NSX

Chris any idea how much of a spacer is needed to clear these under factory 2005 17" wheels? Are they the same width as the old ones?

Chris any idea how much of a spacer is needed to clear these under factory 2005 17" wheels? Are they the same width as the old ones?

We used 15mm front, and 25mm rear (which gave the best looking spacing). However, you could use a 15mm in the rear. You can see examples of this on our website (the red NSX).

-- Chris

hi guys --

All the brake kits from the sale are in production now, and you should have received an e-mail with expected shipping date. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Orders are still being accepted! We're leaving this open until the end of this month (3/31).

-- Chris

We've had several questions about the zinc plating option. This plating option plates the entire rotor with zinc to provide corrosion protection. This plating is ground off where the pads apply friction to the disc leaving non-contact surfaces (such as the edges of the disc, inside the vanes, inside the slots and holes, etc.) These are the surfaces that the pads won't wipe off corrosion. Aesthetically, it makes the discs look better especially if you drive in damp climates.

-- Chris

1. balance:
Unlike all other brake systems available for the NSX - the Stoptech front and rear brakes were designed as a set specifically for the NSX. The ST40 (a forged aluminum four piston caliper) was designed with tapered pistons that are biased for the front and rear of the NSX taking into account the factory master cylinder dimensions, line pressure, and weight balance. Externally, the calipers look identical. Internally, the balanced piston sizing means an easy to modulate brake pedal, balanced front to rear bias, and maximum use of tire traction.

We have strongly urged other manufactures to provide us a properly designed balanced system for the NSX - however, the answer has always been that there simply isn't enough volume for them to commit to the NSX. We give Stoptech a lot of credit to dedicate the effort to the NSX to produce a properly designed system for this "niche" market.

A good detailed explanation of this is provided here:
http://stoptech.com/Products/BBK/balance.shtml
This is not an accurate statement because Performance Friction Brakes also sells a F&R brake system for the NSX that is designed and balanced specifically for the NSX.

While PFC reached a slightly different conclusion for the 'ideal' bias for the NSX, (to my knowledge) only StopTech, PFC, and the Brembo F50/Lotus (F/R) brake packages are the only options available in the ballpark of the NSX's stock brake bias.

The Trophy caliper is a nice piece of kit.

Last edited:
This is not an accurate statement because Performance Friction Brakes also sells a F&R brake system for the NSX that is designed and balanced specifically for the NSX.

While PFC reached a slightly different conclusion for the 'ideal' bias for the NSX, (to my knowledge) only StopTech, PFC, and the Brembo F50/Lotus (F/R) brake packages are the only options available in the ballpark of the NSX's stock brake bias.

The Trophy caliper is a nice piece of kit.

hi Billy --

You are right. I did not mean to consider Performance Friction in the "others" list. Last I spoke with them, the production kit was not yet ready to ship so I had not considered as something yet on the market. My sentence should read "other kits which use the same identical calipers on the front and rear". Performance Friction has done their research, and we're looking forward to testing out the system soon. Thank you for your clarification.

-- Chris

hi guys --

Thank you to all the customers who have taken advantage of this sale. We're very excited to see quite a few new NSX out there with the Stoptech brakes.

Today is the last day for the sale. Please drop us a line if you are interested by the end of today.

thank you,
-- Chris

I'm sorry, I would be happy to take them off if you would not like them used. They came up on a google search. Just let me know.

-- Chris

I don't have a problem with this, but if you're going to use my pictures to advertise your products, maybe at least give a link to my blog? ie "pics courtesy of www.synth19.com, etc etc. This way, both parties benefit.

We have one kit left at the discounted price that was unsold. If you're interested, please drop us a line.

thanks,
-- Chris

STOPTECH SALE:
We've been asked by our customers for a sale on Stoptech brakes.

We're offering, until the end of March, a group buy for customers looking for complete front and rear setups.

Please call 480-894-6277 or e-mail ([email protected]) for sale pricing! Too low to advertise.

more information:

We already have three kits ordered, so we've met the minimum group buy amount. Please give us a call or drop us an e-mail if you'd like to place an order.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Back