• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Straight Pipes

Hi Everyone,

I've searched, but cannot find any references to someone running straight pipes out of the headers. I dropped my exhaust two nights ago for some work and fired the car with just the headers on for a few seconds....it was glorious.

Is anyone running straight pipes from the header collectors back?

I'm running straight pipes out of one of my Ducatis that stop about 18"after each head. While it's boarding on obnoxiously loud, the noise that came out of the NSX was much deeper and raspier. I'm sure that it would be toned down a bit with another couple of feet worth of pipe past the header collector, but it was nice. Other than reduced back-pressure (lower torque), I'm curious if there is a drawback to running straight pipes on a 91.

It sounds great until you hit about 2500 RPM under a load. Then it is typical Honda wet fart noise.

I've tried about 20 custom exhaust configurations on my NSX.... Obviously straight pipes were the first design, then through cats, then 3" bullet mufflers, then to a single 3" pipe, then custom resonators in combo with the typical aftermarket Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster mufflers, then a combo of loud/quiet mufflers with an electric valve directing exhaust flow, then my own custom muffler designs, then started over again with turbos....

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I've searched, but cannot find any references to someone running straight pipes out of the headers. I dropped my exhaust two nights ago for some work and fired the car with just the headers on for a few seconds....it was glorious.

Is anyone running straight pipes from the header collectors back?

CC headers / STMPO Messiah exhaust. No cats/mufflers.
Highest blip is 6K rpm.
Link

Back