• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Strange squeal from rear of car

A strange squealing noise is coming from the rear of my car. It's kind of hard to describe, but I'll try. Has anyone else experienced this?

When I accelerate quickly, a brief squeal comes from the rear of the car around the engine area. If I accelerate slowly, no noise. If I let off the clutch slowly while I'm accelerating quickly, the noise is more pronounced. If I let up on the clutch a few inches and then accelerate hard while I let the clutch out the rest of the way, the noise is even louder.

I took it to a dealer but they couldn't figure it out. The car is a 92 with about 35,000 miles. The clutch is original, but I can't feel it slipping. Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

The A/C and everything else on the car works just fine. The noise sounds like it's coming from the side opposite the belts, but its hard to tell. I went back and forth in front of my house (my neighbors must think I'm crazy) with my wife next to the car listening. She said it sounds like its coming from the drivers side rear wheel. I can't imagine what would squeal in that area of the car.

Since it happens when you accelerate quickly but not slowly, i believe it is a chirp from your clutch. It is more likely the technique you are using. If you want to acelerate quickly and you have the RPMs up high make sure to let the clutch out faster as well.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

I know exactly the sound you are hearing, as I recently drove a friend's 91 NSX and heard the SAME thing. However, this car wasn't tip-top so I assumed at the time it was drivetrain related. The car also had a third gear grinding problem, so I figured it was just the clutch or transmission.

I don't think this really helped other than to let you know you're not crazy... I recently heard the same type of noise on another NSX.

Weird definitely.

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

I don't think it's from abuse because the car is flawless except for this noise. The previous owner took very good care of it. Your friend didn't know what the noise was?

It's a pretty labor intensive job...You might as well have the clutch replaced since the tech's will have to perform the same level of labor to get the bearing lubed or replaced....BTW, does the squeal still occur with the traction control turned off?

I've never turned the traction control off. Thats a good question.

[This message has been edited by gobble (edited 14 February 2002).]

Originally posted by gobble:
A strange squealing noise is coming from the rear of my car. It's kind of hard to describe, but I'll try. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I know the sound well. My car did the same thing when I bought it. I tried to live with it at first (and learned to let off the clutch REAL quick) but it only gets worse with time.

Have the clutch checked out. Replacement would be a good option since they have it 90% taken apart anyway.

My car has made exactly the noise you describe ever since I bought it, under exactly the same circumstances, except that it originates from the "passenger" side of the engine rather than the clutch/transaxle side. Happens with or without TCS engaged. Seemed to happen more when the car had lousy tires than now with Yokos (could easily be wrong on the tire thing).

I just put new A022's on the car and the noise didn't seem to change. I'd be interested to know if anyone else ever had this fixed and what the problem was. I would hate to just tear the clutch apart before it needs replacement.

Does it make the noise if you hold the clutch pedal all the way down while the car is not moving?

Hill start? In Wisconsin?
confused.gif

I've got the exact same sound you're talking about. Basically, doing an agressive launch with some clutch slipping, it will squeal while I slip the clutch, and then stops squealing when the clutch is fully engaged. Most people seemed to agree it was probably the throwout bearing, and probably wasn't worth the labor involved in trying to lube it. I've pretty much resigned myself to not worrying about it. It'll get replaced when clutch time comes around anyway.

-Mike

Bumping this dinosaur thread. I am experiencing this squealing noise while slipping the clutch from a standstill. The culprit as everyone has mentioned is a worn throwout bearing or not enough lube. I am wondering, is there any harm continuing to drive the car as is? My clutch is 40k miles old and has no signs of slipping yet.

2 cheap fixes for everyone...

After about my 3rd NSX had same issue, looked under car where the clutch throwout bearing area is, found a hole in the cover plate and sprayed WD-40, about 3 good shots in the hole.

This does not qualify for Acura OEM maintainance program, but not only did it get rid of the squeel, the entire clutch throw became beautifully smoooth.

Who would have known?...wd40.jpg

Also for those of you who have the brake noise on startup(antilock), I have heard of guys spending lots of $, heck I have seen several reciepts on cars I had...here is the fix, find a wet grassy area, drive 30-40mph, then engage the brakes so you hear/feel the antilocks kick in, repeat 2 or 3 times, problem solved. "It's a disuse issue"

Thank me later :)

Last edited:
You sir are a legend :D

Gonna be doing his as I have had the same symptoms for over a year and a half. Drives great just the noise from standing aggressive start.

After about my 3rd NSX had same issue, looked under car where the clutch throwout bearing area is, found a hole in the cover plate and sprayed WD-40, about 3 good shots in the hole.

This does not qualify for Acura OEM maintainance program, but not only did it get rid of the squeel, the entire clutch throw became beautifully smoooth.

Who would have known?...View attachment 91357

Also for those of you who have the brake noise on startup(antilock), I have heard of guys spending lots of $, heck I have seen several reciepts on cars I had...here is the fix, find a wet grassy area, drive 30-40mph, then engage the brakes so you hear/feel the antilocks kick in, repeat 2 or 3 times, problem solved. "It's a disuse issue"

Who would have known?...View attachment 91357

After a long winter and a squealing clutch for over a year, I finally have a quiet and smooth engaging clutch.

Symptoms:
1) Quiet clutch when cold, noisy clutch when hot...creaking sounds when clutch is being engaged/disengaged
2) When hot, chattering sound from drivetrain when clutch is fully engaged
3) Squealing sound when slipping the clutch from a standstill

Solution:
As Moofie mentioned, WD-40 solved all 3 of my issues. Accessing that hole looks a bit of a challenge, bit it is actually very easy.

1) Remove top and bottom air box.
2) Remove the 2 12mm bolts holding the clutch slave cylinder
3) Carefully slide out clutch slave
4) Remove rubber boot covering the transmission hole (by feel as you cannot see this). BEWARE: The clutch fork will fall out if you wiggle it too much.
5) Spray WD-40 into that hole. I took a "more is better" approach, and sprayed in 6-7 shots with the help of a nozzle.
6) Clean clutch slave ball and clutch fork socket with WD-40. Wipe clean and apply some grease. Again, be careful with clutch fork.
7) Reinstall rubber boot.
8) Reinstall Clutch Slave.
9) Try clutch to make sure everything works.
10) Reinstall airbox

Who would have known?...

I would not recommend the use of WD-40 on the Slave Cylinder I'm pretty sure after a while it would dry out under high heat conditions. I do recall from my re-build project the OEM Service manual recommends Super High Temp Urea Grease Honda Part # 08798-9002 small tub which runs around ~$10 from most U.S dealers a light dab of this stuff goes pretty far. Urea is also the same grease recommend when installed a new clutch on the splines etc, its also the same stuff used to lube the window regulator assy.

Back