• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stuck Nut on Spare Tire Assembly - Need some ideas

So I was going to replace the battery and as per the manual I started to undo the 5 bolts that hold the Spare Tire Assembly in place.
I got the top bolt out easy enough and then the (facing the car from the bumper) top left, bottom left and bottom right nuts out.
Then I get the the top right nut, well it spins.... but then I notice that the bolt has fused with the threaded post. They spin together... freely,
so basically I can spin all I want in either direction and the bolt isn't going to come out. Somehow the post attaching it to the bottom pan has come free but not
free enough to let me remove the Spare Tire Assembly. I have tried several applications of PB Blaster and some jostling but I am now unsure of how to proceed.
(This is alot of work to change the battery......) I decided to try a Nut Splitter but because the Spare Tire Assembly is not flat I cannot get it flush enough to try to break the nut.
Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dremel tool, cut it off..... Or a visegrip on the underside to keep the threaded post from spinning(if you can access it, I cannot recall).

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
ok got it off. thanks larry

Back