• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stupid things you've done recently...

OK, I'll start this off...

I washed my cell phone today. I was doing the laundry and I took the duvet cover off the duvet as part of the drill. After the washing machine I took everything out and threw them in the dryer. When I was taking the clothing out of the dryer I pulled the duvet cover out and I heard a clunk against the washing machine as I did it. I thought that was strange because it's just material, nothing solid. That's when I discovered that my cell phone was inside the cover.

Of course I ruined my phone but it sure is clean and dry.:redface:

A quick note about wet electronics from one who has had his house flood ...

If you disassemble the item slightly, that is, take off the battery and back plate, and let it dry until it is COMPLETELY dry, most electronics will work like normal. The trick is don't try to turn it on until dry! Don't do anything! Just assemble and dry (I usually give it a month) and then use.

I've done this to cell phones, television sets, old typewriters ... *sigh* But it will work if you are patient.

I'll get back to you on the stupid stuff I've done. Too many to choose from.:redface:

Last edited:
OK, I'll start this off...

I washed my cell phone today. I was doing the laundry and I took the duvet cover off the duvet as part of the drill. After the washing machine I took everything out and threw them in the dryer. When I was taking the clothing out of the dryer I pulled the duvet cover out and I heard a clunk against the washing machine as I did it. I thought that was strange because it's just material, nothing solid. That's when I discovered that my cell phone was inside the cover.

Of course I ruined my phone but it sure is clean and dry.:redface:

I can't believe I have a friend who uses the word "duvet" as if it belongs in common car-forum parlance. :wink:

Misplaced my Verizon Boulder cell phone a few months ago and tried calling it , heard a noise from the washing machine and found it completley submerged and ringing. Removed it from the washer and made a call and it worked perfectly! I guess it really is a tough phone as the advertising states

Stupidest and best thing I've done lately: Dated an 18 year old stripper.
Smartest and hardest to do: Break up with said 18 year old stripper.

Doug, A few years ago Renee bought a fancy crack berry when they first came out. She brought it home and was showing it to me when she dropped it in the swimming pool. I jumped right in to get it, clothes on. Guess what was in my pocket?:biggrin:

Doug, A few years ago Renee bought a fancy crack berry when they first came out. She brought it home and was showing it to me when she dropped it in the swimming pool. I jumped right in to get it, clothes on. Guess what was in my pocket?:biggrin:

Ah yes, the famous "Double Whammy":eek:

Left my concealed carry handgun laying on the seat of my truck Christmas eve, {all nite} in the driveway.:rolleyes:
Good thing nobody found the gun, especially with those eight deer tied up on your roof for fifteen minutes during the night! :biggrin:

Tried to drive my family from Denver to Rapid City SD with the weather blowing in last week. Conditions went from bad to worse to abhorrent. To make matters worse I was driving on brand new all season tires that are great for all seasons- with the exception of winter apparently- I took the guy's word that these were good for all seasons, but a little research tells me now that these are not in any way rated for snow driving. (Falken Ziex 912- not good in icy conditions).

Conditions were clear in Denver, but as we approached Ft Collins the roads got icy, and the car became difficult to control at speeds greater than 30mph. After we skated across 3 lanes of traffic before I was able to recover control I decided to call it off and we crashed at a Super 8 for the night. Thursday morning I went to the nearest Discount Tire had the TL re-shoed with some proper snow tires (Hankook Ice Bears- VERY proficient in snow). The rest of the trip went off nicely.

Lessons learned-

1. Use snow tires for snow driving

2. Check weather report more thoroughly before departure

Last edited:
Last week I changed lanes and someone had accelerated into the lane I was moving into and I made contact with the other vehicle. I had no visible body damage, however the rear suspension of my CLS got tweaked. The cost to repair invisible damage: $3056. :mad:

Last week I changed lanes and someone had accelerated into the lane I was moving into and I made contact with the other vehicle. I had no visible body damage, however the rear suspension of my CLS got tweaked. The cost to repair invisible damage: $3056. :mad:

Was it one of those deals where the insurance company wouldn't pay for it?

I sold my NSX few months ago, that was pretty stupid... :rolleyes:

I sold mine a few months ago also.
It was a sad thing I did, but it was the right thing to do.
It wasn't stupid.

Soooo.... I forgot what I was going to say now.

Bought Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, despite the fact that I have a crazy gaming addiction. I've cleared 100+ hours with no sign of slowing down. :frown:

Was it one of those deals where the insurance company wouldn't pay for it?

Not at all. USAA is covering all of it and it's only costing me my deductible. I haven't had a collision with another car in almost 27 years.

Not at all. USAA is covering all of it and it's only costing me my deductible. I haven't had a collision with another car in almost 27 years.
maybe so ..but you have collided with a few woman:eek:

Decided to agree to Christmas with the inlaws! Too much to get in one post, suffice it to say, I am soo glad we have only Christmas to celebrate in the UK. I could not bear Thanksgiving as well! :smile:

Back