• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sucky NSX Advertising by Acura

This just really gets me mad! Acura's print commercials in the car rags continue to just plain suck. They show a twisty mountain road and no NSX. Hey ACURA!!!, read this, "Not showing the car won't cut it, if sales are your motive." It's a total waste of money. The looks of a car is what first attracts a potential buyer, not a scenic mountain road! The NSX is quite beautiful and can be very photogenic, but Acura won't show it! This "don't show the car" advertising strategy hasn't and won't work to sell more NSX's, just like it didn't work for the Infinity Q45's face-off with the Lexus LS400 back in 1990. At that time, all the car rags gave better reviews to the Q45, which looked better and out-performed the LS400 on all counts except fuel consumption, but the LS400 has won overwhelmingly on the basis of sales, even to this day. I can't believe that with such poor NSX sales for several years in a row, Acura's not even showing the car! It's amazing and sad, because without an increase in sales within the next three years, I expect Acura will drop the NSX, which would definitely suck. If the new bigger engine doesn't do it for sales, which I think it won't, it may be doomed by 2006 with such bad advertising. Maybe we should put together a petition from NSX owners requesting that Acura put together a winning strategy for advertising the NSX. I don't know what else can be done, except wait and watch the burial.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Originally posted by NSXY:
This just really gets me mad! Acura's print commercials in the car rags continue to just plain suck. They show a twisty mountain road and no NSX. Hey ACURA!!!, read this, "Not showing the car won't cut it, if sales are your motive." It's a total waste of money. The looks of a car is what first attracts a potential buyer, not a scenic mountain road! The NSX is quite beautiful and can be very photogenic, but Acura won't show it! This "don't show the car" advertising strategy hasn't and won't work to sell more NSX's, just like it didn't work for the Infinity Q45's face-off with the Lexus LS400 back in 1990. At that time, all the car rags gave better reviews to the Q45, which looked better and out-performed the LS400 on all counts except fuel consumption, but the LS400 has won overwhelmingly on the basis of sales, even to this day. I can't believe that with such poor NSX sales for several years in a row, Acura's not even showing the car! It's amazing and sad, because without an increase in sales within the next three years, I expect Acura will drop the NSX, which would definitely suck. If the new bigger engine doesn't do it for sales, which I think it won't, it may be doomed by 2006 with such bad advertising. Maybe we should put together a petition from NSX owners requesting that Acura put together a winning strategy for advertising the NSX. I don't know what else can be done, except wait and watch the burial.

Nah...

I mean, they said that only 200 '02 NSXs is slated for the US, I don't see why they would spend money to advertise to sell 200 cars. Well, if you put in perspective, how often do u see high end cars gets advertised? Porsches, Lotuses, Ferraris, I mean... I would be surprised if I see people advertising these cars. Most people buy these cars because they want it, no persuasion required, and I think the NSX is the same to a lesser extent. The NSX name is already out in the marketplace, not like the new Toyota Matrix or other high volume cars. I think its more economics than anything. How often is the viper advertised? The NSX definitely feels more exotic if there is no advertising. Less is more and I think we get more stares on the road because of that.

Actually, the new ad campaign does show the next-generation, 2004 NSX. The photos highlight its most exciting, innovative feature - you can flip a switch, and make the entire car and its occupants INVISIBLE!!!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Actually, the new ad campaign does show the next-generation, 2004 NSX. The photos highlight its most exciting, innovative feature - you can flip a switch, and make the entire car and its occupants INVISIBLE!!!
biggrin.gif

Really!!! Where!?! Where!?! I wanna see the ad!!!

biggrin.gif

I think there is going to be a vertical take off option as well. Unfortunately both the invisibility option and the vertical take of option are not available in unison.

I never thought the empty road ad was very effective either. Not only because it doesn't show the car, but because roads that tight are not where the NSX shines in my opinion, and I live where roads like that are a dime a dozen.

Re: Porsche / Ferrari ads - Porsche advertises a LOT! And I think they generally have very good ads, especially their 911 television ads. Ferrari doesn't have to advertise per se, they spend their marketing money on racing and brand positioning.

P.S. Speaking of bad ads, that new animated VW ad about their engineers is absolutely terrible. VW used to have really great ads. Did they switch companies recently? Yikes.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 23 February 2002).]

Originally posted by Lud:
I never thought the empty road ad was very effective either. Not only because it doesn't show the car, but because roads that tight are not where the NSX shines in my opinion, and I live where roads like that are a dime a dozen.

Re: Porsche / Ferrari ads - Porsche advertises a LOT! And I think they generally have very good ads, especially their 911 television ads. Ferrari doesn't have to advertise per se, they spend their marketing money on racing and brand positioning.

P.S. Speaking of bad ads, that new animated VW ad about their engineers is absolutely terrible. VW used to have really great ads. Did they switch companies recently? Yikes.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 23 February 2002).]

I with you on those new VW ads! Those things are awful!

As for the NSX, they need to show the car! If someone does not know what an NSX is, they sure aren't going to know any more by looking at that ad.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I guess everyone has different exposure to advertising. As for me I never see any Porsche ads. Is it because I'm just watching all the wrong channels?

Originally posted by RyRy210:
As for me I never see any Porsche ads. Is it because I'm just watching all the wrong channels?

I haven't seen a porsche ad in a while, but there are 3 different ones that i know of....

one involved a girl keeps that keeps missing the school bus so that she can get a ride in daddy's carerra...

another involved some traffic authority people who keep turning stop lights red so they can get a view of a carerra...

my favorite is the boxster ad where the two guys fight over who is having a drink and who gets to drive....quite clever!

[This message has been edited by galvatron (edited 24 February 2002).]

the porsche ads are excellent--my wife loves the girl missing the schoolbus ad, and the fighting over the drink to drive ad is my favorite also.

anybody else like the mercedes ads? i think their 'tradition' ads are exceptional. really says 'we've been building great cars forever'.

the acura ads on the other hand....the tl type s coupe ads arent too bad but not the caliber of merc or porsche. and i think thats acuras best of the bunch.

Your absoutely right. Acura, like Honda, has the most pathetic adds in the industry. The only one that even comes to memory as being a decent add shows everything in Honda's grab bag. It's the one where the garage doors open and you see a red NSX, a 4 wheeler, a generator, a boat motor and various other products that Honda manufactures. But, it sucks to. They have never really touched on Honda or Acura's performace. They give you lazy trips to a nice restaurant or to the wine country. YUCK!
Spare me the BS. Give me an NSX catching a 4 wheel drift at Laguna Seca coming out of the corkscrew! Give me an RSX eating up a turn trough the hills of a twisty mountain road with the camera just above the road! (I'm getting excited, hang on), Give me a CL-S 6 speed, (Available next month by the way), that an Dario is getting into after a race and he says, "Now this is what I've been waiting for all day!" Cmon guys, step up to the pump.
American Honda has always been the most reserved manufacturer when it comes to advertisement. And in building their cars for that matter. Granted, our 4 bangers beat most V-6's and our V-6's beat most V-8's, but this is what I'm talking about. They have always done it with reservation. If they were to put a V-10 in an NSX, it would be the most unGodly machine on the road. They have the motor, they just won't do it.
Nissan has got to have the coolest advertisement on the market. They show us that the cars have big hairy ugly balls. Even though I'm not a big Nissan fan, (other than their trucks),
wink.gif
I have to admit, their adds get my heart rate up, and make their cars attractive.
Sorry for the added ranting.
Barn Man..

Porsche advertises on the NFL games. Very smart move!! (or was it just Monday night Football?) Since men buy 90% of upper-end sports cars... Football was such a good choice.

Best ad- Boxster passing the 1950's spyder as they race around a log truck on the mountain road.

One of my favourite all time car advertising was the one for the Porsche 996 Cabrio, I do not know if it was also used in the US market.

There was the Porsche from the side on a white background with written in big-black-font "Here's the new Porsche with 0.4 ps!".

And in very small font, some inch below, "The new Porsche Cabriolet has a 0.4ps engine that helps you close the retractable roof. Of course it also includes in the price another engine that deliver other 300ps at your own request."

What I do not get is Honda's latest showing their fabulous racing heritage with the engine, mechanics, car racing around the track, and then the great, fast, wonderful "ACCORD" comes around the corner. I understand the gist, but Accord buyers want to know it does not fall apart, not that it has the same engineering expertise as the race cars. Put an S2000, Prelude, RSX, or NSX and that ad works wonders.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

What Honda needs to do is find a new firm for the NSX. Their current advertising for Honda is exactly how they would like it to remain.

It's been a couple years since I graduated so I don't recall the specific company they use. What I do recall is hearing from a Honda advertising exec. They use a very well respected, established advertising firm that is know for being very conservative. HONDA is trying to maintain this conservative image in their advertsing in the US. What this established firm can be trusted for is research and no risk. They will never put together an ad that is risky. HONDA is always afraid of losing this specific image they have built over the decades and they will take NO chances of damaging reputation. They have a long standing relationship with a particular firm and they plan to keep it. Look at overall sales? They must be doing something right.

And they are correct, for the majority of their line. We are not the market. I wouldn't be surprised if these conservative ads appeal to the typical consumer of standard Honda products.

I just think the NSX does not fit that category and needs a separate firm dedictated to it. Honda is a very conservative company in the US when it comes to advertsing and image. It shows in their commericals. Compare that to the new Toyota Matrix commercial. Ever seen Honda put out something like that???

I cheerfully nominate Chiat Day to help bring our NSX into the public eye!

Originally posted by ncdogdoc:
What I do not get is Honda's latest showing their fabulous racing heritage with the engine, mechanics, car racing around the track, and then the great, fast, wonderful "ACCORD" comes around the corner. I understand the gist, but Accord buyers want to know it does not fall apart, not that it has the same engineering expertise as the race cars. Put an S2000, Prelude, RSX, or NSX and that ad works wonders.

That ad drives me crazy!!! They show all this racing etc and then a freakin accord is the "diploma" for their hard work??? Come on? Who is doing ads for this company??

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Actually, I think Honda's commercials are clever and eye-catching. It's the Acura commercials that are overly conservative.

However, I don't think all their commercials are as bad as some make out. Many are indeed overly conservative. But I think the ad (CL Type S, I think) where the guy drives to Maine for a lobster lunch is not bad. The current RSX ads do show the car along twisting roads with great engine sounds. And the commercials they did a few years ago with the "Hot Wheels" look showing the Integra GS-R doing vertical loops was great!

Actually, I think Honda's commercials are clever and eye-catching. It's the Acura commercials that are overly conservative.

However, I don't think all their commercials are as bad as some make out. Many are indeed overly conservative. But I think the ad (CL Type S, I think) where the guy drives to Maine for a lobster lunch is not bad. The current RSX ads do show the car along twisting roads with great engine sounds. And the commercials they did a few years ago with the "Hot Wheels" look showing the Integra GS-R doing vertical loops was great!

Think that was a TL Type-S (My mom's car
biggrin.gif
)... But I think the best car commercials were put out by VW, not the new ones about the engine engineering junk, but the one's where some one licks the door handle, washing neighbor's car... etc...

Lud, when you get the video I sent you, maybe you can make the "Hot Wheels" Integra commercial available for download so folks can see how an Acura commercial can project an image of FUN.

hey nsxpert, that is a good print ad, never saw that one before.

i sat in on a acura focus group about 12months ago. (big research firm here in kc). all participants were acura owners, still or very recent.

what i gleaned from the deal--

the other participants wanted quality but didnt want to drive a make that was name-branded "expensive" (ie. mercedes, lexus, bmw) they chose the acura because of 'value' for the money without the 'name-badge' complications.

they all liked their acuras

all reported that they were Not affluent.

most didnt think the acura advertising was very flashy, or even very good

most had owned hondas before and had a positive impression of quality and longevity

MY impressions were:

bought it because it was less than a lexus, mercedes or bmw, both in perception and $. And it was a honda.

doesnt really bode well for acura, does it?

i think acura has positioned itself below other marque brands and just above everything else.

Originally posted by NSXY:
This just really gets me mad! Acura's print commercials in the car rags continue to just plain suck. They show a twisty mountain road and no NSX. Hey ACURA!!!, read this, "Not showing the car won't cut it, if sales are your motive."

You're just not looking in the right magazines for the ads!!
wink.gif

In the current copy of "The Economist" (March 2, 2002) we find a two-page ad inside the back cover featuring a yellow 2002 in a nice front 3/4 view. I'll try to scan it later...
BTW, I completely agree: the twisty road ads suck - almost as bad as the original Infiniti ads that showed rocks and leaves.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Back