• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

suggestions on a domestic car lift

i apologize in advance if this thread is in the wrong section...
in process of buying a new home and i am lucky enough to find one with what i think are high enough ceilings in the garage to put a lift in...was wondering if anyone has any experiences both good and bad with them (brand and model and approx prices paid)....also what would be the optimum ceiling height or minimum to have another sedan type vehicle under lift...being in northeast nsx is not used in the winter months and this house being on the water would love to maximize the two car garage to keep other vehicles inside to avoid salty air...thanks for looking and your input

I was saving my first post for an introduction and pictures of my recently purchased NSX, but I thought I may actually lend a hand, as this forum has been extremely helpful in fixing up my car, and I am already very endebted to you guys. I purchased a Dannmar D-7 about 4 years ago and it has worked flawlessly. I know that there are others out there (Bend-pak is one of them) but in my opinion, the Dannmar works as intended. I currently am storing another car on it, with a sedan below it, but it will fit a NSX, even with spacers on the wheels. Just add ATF into the hydraulic lines, and plug it into a 110 outlet (after putting it all together.) I will post pictures of it tomorrow, and might even sneak a shot of my NSX in there. I paid about $1900 back then, and rented a moving truck after picking it up at a truck freight terminal. My ceiling height is exactly 10 feet, and I have more than enough room for both cars with an extra few inches for both cars.

I have a BendPak, double wide, holds two cars up, and fits 2 underneath, this way I don't have 8 posts in a 20x20 garage. Look at my avatar, if you want more pictures, go to the website of the contractor I used, good guys. The lift itself cost me $6050, but I had to raise the ceiling 1 foot to 11.5 feet. I had them put in new lighting, heaters, floor, cabinets, new side mount garage door lift, etc.
www.attitudegarage.com
Speak with RJ

I have a BendPak, double wide, holds two cars up, and fits 2 underneath, this way I don't have 8 posts in a 20x20 garage. Look at my avatar, if you want more pictures, go to the website of the contractor I used, good guys. The lift itself cost me $6050, but I had to raise the ceiling 1 foot to 11.5 feet. I had them put in new lighting, heaters, floor, cabinets, new side mount garage door lift, etc.
www.attitudegarage.com
Speak with RJ

OK, first things first - I gotta ask - what is with the "prancing horse" on your NSX?

I was also thinking that raising the roof looks like it was optional, you still would have had enough room at 10.5 ft. - no?

OK, first things first - I gotta ask - what is with the "prancing horse" on your NSX?

I was also thinking that raising the roof looks like it was optional, you still would have had enough room at 10.5 ft. - no?
Prancing horse not a Ferrari but another car club I belong to. If I didn't park above a SUV, I would have had enough height.

I installed the MaxJax which only raises the vehicle 48", but with my 10 ft ceiling thats all i could raise a minivan anyway. I like it a lot. You simply make a super low rolling seat and work sitting down. I leave one stand installed by the side wall and remove the center post. It truly does take only 10 minutes to set up or tear down. Search on MaxJax for my extended post if you are interested. I'm 5'7". If you are super tall it would get tight.

I have a Bend Pac and love it. You will need a small air compressor to unlock the safety locks. I also ordered the castor kit so I can move the lift around the garage. I raised my ceiling from 8' to 12'. I also had to retrack the garage door tracks. So much easier to work on the cars on a lift. Jerry

Regardless of which lift you choose...

fully understand the construction of the garage floor

make no assumptions about it's ability to support / mount the lift

you want to "engineer" the placement of a lift in the garage

...and different lifts have different requirements

Does anyone have experience with pad style lifts?
I've been looking into one like this. http://www.naautoequipment.com/mid-rise-scissor-lifts.html
This lift only raises to 38". Ideally I would like it to raise to about 52".

I like the idea of this style because it will be under the car and out of the way when not in use. It should be good for brake and or wheel changes. If you want to work under the car, a mechanics rolling seat would work well.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Ed

I also had to retrack the garage door tracks.

Yes you want to raise the garage door tracks all the way up to the ceiing and install a LIFTMASTER 3800 jackshaft type garage opener. You will LOVE this commercial grade opener. Powerful, quiet, completely out of the way, should last forever and has a solenoid operated dead bolt for the door. About $400 online. Again, look at the Maxjax if you've got a smallish garage.

that Atlas one looks neat for an NSX, although it would be good to see the underneath access to the NSX engine bay / fuel tank area showing how much the ramps obstruct.

hmmm ... wonder if anyone sells them down here down under?

Last edited:
IMO, its absolutely necessary to choose a lift that allows you to remove the tires. Otherwise, it's really only a lift that can be used for storage.

I can't see a reason to lift up the car and not be able to take the wheels off for any type of suspension/brake work, etc.

FWIW my MaxJax weighed 900#. You can pay the carrier to bring it to you on a lift back truck for about $150 extra. I rented a u haul truck for $60. The carrier will get it loaded on the truck for you and then you can break the skid on the truck and carry it in one piece at a time. My wife groaned a bit, but thats normal.

Personally i would upgrade to epoxy anchors instead of the expansion crap they will likely furnish you. Cheap piece of mind. Can't trust ANY vendors now days in my experienced opinion.

If you purchase the lift locally and if they offer installation? You might be able to workout delivery only and they should be able to unloaded on your driveway if they want to make the sale. Good luck!

IMO, its absolutely necessary to choose a lift that allows you to remove the tires. Otherwise, it's really only a lift that can be used for storage.

I can't see a reason to lift up the car and not be able to take the wheels off for any type of suspension/brake work, etc.

My 4-pole has jacking trays where I put my hydraulic jack...or I put it on the runners for lifting one tire at a time. Not super convenient BUT i could not figure a way to store/park a car under a two-pole. Also, I move mine periodically on its casters. Additionally, I was concerned about the pre-existing slab having enough depth to safely anchor.

Finally, there is an option for a sliding, hydraulic jacks just for this application:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4-Post-Lift-Accessories

Back