• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Super Bowl Commercial

Alright, I guess if penniless teen girls was the focus and intended audience for the Acura NSX commercial, then they have at least one such child convinced and impressed.:rolleyes:

Again, the commercial was for the NSX name brand and Acura brand, not to please a small group of enthusiast who would argue the finer points of a great car commercial. The more people know about it, the better for the overall brand.

One could say the same of a penniless girl simile as to pretentious man going through his mid-life crisis would probably buy a 911 or R8 or any other sports car to impress that penniless teenage girl or early 20s girl. Don't underestimate the power of female or public influence.

i think these commercials are being massively and unnecessarily overanalysed. the Acura advert was alright, but not great. the Audi commercial was excellent and emotional. if it's a contest, Audi won the Superbowl of Supercar commercials the same way Denver won the handball match...

One could say the same of a penniless girl simile as to pretentious man going through his mid-life crisis would probably buy a 911 or R8 or any other sports car to impress that penniless teenage girl or early 20s girl. Don't underestimate the power of female or public influence.

True, but for every one pretentious man going through his mid-life crisis who would buy a 911 or R8 or NSX or any other sports car to impress that penniless teenage girl there will be 10 other men or women who would buy it for their own pleasure.

I can never underestimate the power of female influence, I am married to one:biggrin:

True, but for every one pretentious man going through his mid-life crisis who would buy a 911 or R8 or NSX or any other sports car to impress that penniless teenage girl there will be 10 other men or women who would buy it for their own pleasure.

I can never underestimate the power of female influence, I am married to one:biggrin:

Haha. I don't know tho, I don't think the ratio is that high. It's one in few car enthusiast that buys something ultimately because they like it and not because they want to impress others. I can tell you right now if a woman buys a sports car, 9/10 chances it is because she is trying to impress or compensate. Just my personal observation and I hate to sound sexist...

Wondering if we'd be having this discussion if the new NSX was universally considered attractive. They could play Britney Spears' unedited live concert vocals and my eyes would be glued to any commercial featuring the Gen-1 or cars like the 458 or Ford GT/GT40, without me wishing the commercial better convinced my neighbors that Acura > BMW or Audi.
Imho I don't think we would be (at least I know I wouldn't).

My reason for thinking this is...
wait...let me put this here real quick...

horsebeat.jpg

Ok (the above applies to me not you) getting back to why: Honda only had 3 things they needed to make sure to do to be an "NSX": 1. introduce new tech (check!) 2. create a new price point category (check!) 3. make a visible successor (Um...no)

Great competitor example below you might appreciate while on the subject...design contours change only so subtly to show commitment to owning a distinct style and develop a strong brand heritage. All those who have helped carry the torch over several decades of design here have shown great respect for each predecessor with great restraint so as to not over do it. Unlike Acura, no big jumps from a diverse racing history of eclectic-racing-wedges to electric-razor-wedges :cool:

Last edited:
^^^ Buy stock in air intake filters.:biggrin:

Back