• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

supercharger then switched to turbo??

I've been wondering about this exact same question ever since I picked the NSX as my next car of choice. As it stands my entire family has the need for speed bug, so I'm assuming I'll end up wanting a turbo (I'm from FL so I don't have to worry about smog legal unless I decide to move back to VA) :rolleyes:. Since the NSX would be my first MR and my first fully built race capable car I was wondering if perhaps it may be safer to consider a SC first before moving into the high hp realms of a turbo kit. I've driven my fare share of moderately tuned cars but this will be my first car that will be making any type of big numbers since I'm finally going to be able to have a budget to support it.

Another point to consider in the turbo vs supercharger question is the ability to cool the incoming charge.
I've driven my NSX with a std CSTC kit for 3 or 4 years both on the road and on track ( see the video on the Le Mans track on the following URL:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2oylq_le-mans-en-honda-nsx_auto).
The major issue is that when the engine runs for a long time at full load the std NSX engine management system decides to pull back the timing on the ignition with the correspondent decrease in power...
This can cost you 3 seconds per lap ( on a 2 min/lap track)
The solution is an intercooler but the only one for sale comes from SoS and a complete kit will be a lot more expensive than a turbo kit that comes std with an intercooler...(well most of them...)

Having just rode in Wei-Shens turbo nsx, and having been in his CTSC before, two words.....

DO IT.:biggrin:

Ok, I have been thinking about what to say when i posted all this info about my changeover..

I have a very easy way to describe the two that I think alot of you can relate to.

I went from a base CTSC kit to a custom STMPO kit. Went from 347 rwhp to 458 rwhp

The differences between the two are simple.

base ctsc is kind of like your wife. Easy to get along with, Not high maintenance and very kind and gentle but still does it for you..

Going with a turbo kit like I have is more like That crazy wild fling from college that you just couldnt get enough of. Shes nuts but you like it. You know you shouldnt do it but you have to..:tongue:

Understand??/

To me it is simple. These two things are easily decided when you choose what you really want out of a car.

If you want a fun linear drive that has some good power and is easy to handle then go with a SOS SC. You will have tons of power and the car feels close to normal. Not at all a violent rush of power and you may still be able to keep traction.

If you want a pure power car that is violent and crazy then you need to go turbo..

I REALLY LIKE the feeling of my car now.. It has zero traction ( its cold here now ) so I cant really kill it and feel the acceleration however I really liked the ctsc because it is so much like a stock nsx. The turbo changes the car.. Its a good change but if your any sort of an NSX purist then go SC.

I will be keeping the turbo as of now...

I LIKE IT ALOT!

Brian

Another point to consider in the turbo vs supercharger question is the ability to cool the incoming charge.
I've driven my NSX with a std CSTC kit for 3 or 4 years both on the road and on track ( see the video on the Le Mans track on the following URL:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2oylq_le-mans-en-honda-nsx_auto).
The major issue is that when the engine runs for a long time at full load the std NSX engine management system decides to pull back the timing on the ignition with the correspondent decrease in power...
This can cost you 3 seconds per lap ( on a 2 min/lap track)
The solution is an intercooler but the only one for sale comes from SoS and a complete kit will be a lot more expensive than a turbo kit that comes std with an intercooler...(well most of them...)

I've seen this particular kit, and it seems like a decent option. I think someone said they were producing over 550 hp with a 3.5 L stroker kit, which is always good to know if the speed bug bit me after doing a basic SOS SC/intercooler package. Plus it'll allow me to have a little time to bump up the power at a slower pace, which would be nice since not all of us have had the luxury of driving sports cars for a long time. I was going to get a G35 and turbo it when I went to college but somehow ended up with a Jaguar S Type because it was more "practical" for my 1000 mile drive from VA to FL at the end of every semester. :frown:

Having just rode in Wei-Shens turbo nsx, and having been in his CTSC before, two words.....

DO IT.:biggrin:

I'd guess and say a 3.5L w/turbo is not a fair comparison to a 3.2L w/turbo. But again im guessing.

Somebody has a 3.5L w/a SC around here don't they? maybe thats a better comparison.

Im jealous either way!!!:biggrin:

Im jealous either way!!!:biggrin:

When you going to be back in town, we can order and install our own little group buy, I am getting ready to pull the trigger as soon as I "Load the wallet", I mean gun.

Dave

Look for a review from Jim Cozzolino - as the newest Turbo (FX500) owner to the community. Coming from his years tracking and daily driving both NA and Supercharged NSXs, moving to the FX Motorsports Development FX500 turbo system was a eye-opening experience (litterally -riding as a passenger):

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131267

Taking the R&D and race proven designs that was developed in the "Factor X" FX500 turbo system, FXMD is taking what was learned and advancing the product, race program, and customer service to offer race-winning and proven products to the community with far better customer service than Factor X ever could.

Stay tuned for Jim Cozzolino's review on the turbo kit and experience with the install.

-Billy Johnson
Haha, my car is in the shop only because I keep adding parts to it. It's been rock soild since the first day I put the turbo on - no issues. I'm telling you, speed is like a disease. I thought 400 whp was enough. I was wrong. Then I thought 450 whp was enough. I was wrong again. I thought 500 whp was enough. Nope. Now at 550 whp, I still want more. Hence back into the shop. I'm hoping for around 580-600 whp.

BTW, it's not really a Factor X turbo anymore. It's not Uehara Motorwerks turbo since it's basically Mori and Fes doing the turbo. But that's a good thing. You get all the benefits of Factor X R&D and race proven designs, with the reliability of a quality shop.

When I get my car back (probably by this weekend) you need to ride in it. Once you do, you'll have made up your mind for sure. I promise. :wink:
If I just stayed quiet and kept my trick manifold a secret, then I wouldn't have to be building yours right now... haha. I am almost done modifying your FXMD-spec intake manifold. I think you'll be happy with the results :smile:

Billy

after talking to Mori at Uehara Motorwerks i have made up my mind to jump straight into a turbo and skip the SC. I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions on each and i took it all into consideration. From researching the Angus Kit and talking to Wil helped me in gaining knowledge in a turbo setup as i knew NOTHING!! I have tried on several occasions to ride in a SC but things just never came thru. But the major decision in going turbo is having the "right" shop close to your home. Uehara Motorwerks is literally in my backyard and seeing the FX "cricket car" right there is truly amazing as its probably the most famous NSX in the world. When i do get my FX turbo, i know i will be taken care of. everything they do is track proven. I was debating on getting the SOSSC but if problems do arise PHX is a long ways away when ur car is not working. If i was getting an Angus kit, who would be able to help me tune it and fix it if issues occur. BTW they are all great systems and i am sure they are quite reliable, however knowing that Mori is there when i need him takes a huge load off my shoulders.

Ill keep you guys updated when i do get my turbo ......

after talking to Mori at Uehara Motorwerks i have made up my mind to jump straight into a turbo and skip the SC. I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions on each and i took it all into consideration. From researching the Angus Kit and talking to Wil helped me in gaining knowledge in a turbo setup as i knew NOTHING!! I have tried on several occasions to ride in a SC but things just never came thru. But the major decision in going turbo is having the "right" shop close to your home. Uehara Motorwerks is literally in my backyard and seeing the FX "cricket car" right there is truly amazing as its probably the most famous NSX in the world. When i do get my FX turbo, i know i will be taken care of. everything they do is track proven. I was debating on getting the SOSSC but if problems do arise PHX is a long ways away when ur car is not working. If i was getting an Angus kit, who would be able to help me tune it and fix it if issues occur. BTW they are all great systems and i am sure they are quite reliable, however knowing that Mori is there when i need him takes a huge load off my shoulders.

Ill keep you guys updated when i do get my turbo ......
Did we meet while I was out in Vegas? I was there all last week and left last friday and came back on sunday. I then drove back home today in my white NSX (that was there the past few days). Welcome aboard and feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Billy
[email protected]

So you rode in it (3.5, Lovefab turbo) huh. What was the traction like ?............or lack there of. :biggrin:

I got the 10lbs boost ride, Charles got the 12 lbs. With the 12 apparently there was no traction! :)

With 10lbs the car was FAST. Wow. Crazy Fast. That was by far the most impressive NSX I have ever been in. The TQ was crazy.

I want one. :biggrin:

I got the 10lbs boost ride, Charles got the 12 lbs. With the 12 apparently there was no traction! :)

With 10lbs the car was FAST. Wow. Crazy Fast. That was by far the most impressive NSX I have ever been in. The TQ was crazy.

I want one. :biggrin:

LOL. It's easier to just buy a ZR1 and be done with it. :biggrin: I can't wait until my car is done.

Did we meet while I was out in Vegas? I was there all last week and left last friday and came back on sunday. I then drove back home today in my white NSX (that was there the past few days). Welcome aboard and feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Billy
[email protected]

I do not believe we met before. I was at the shop about a month ago. My brother in law was there last week talking to Fes and saw ur white nsx. I was surprised cuz i told him there isnt a white NSX in vegas which i know now was urs. Mori showed me all the things he did with Bryans car and i was just amazed what he can do. That pretty much sealed the deal. I just wanna wait till next year to see if the economy rebounds.

I do not believe we met before. I was at the shop about a month ago. My brother in law was there last week talking to Fes and saw ur white nsx. I was surprised cuz i told him there isnt a white NSX in vegas which i know now was urs. Mori showed me all the things he did with Bryans car and i was just amazed what he can do. That pretty much sealed the deal. I just wanna wait till next year to see if the economy rebounds.
Was it a month ago? I trailered my car from SoCal to Vegas ~2 weeks ago and was at the shop for 1.5 weeks. I had to drive home to instruct someone last Friday and Sunday, then flew back to Vegas Sunday to finish my car and drive it home Tuesday. The car wasn't there that long and I was there all but 2 days that it was in the shop itself.

Be sure to stay in touch.

Billy

Correction, I have 10.5 lbs.

Last edited:
You really need to learn how to quote people Jim... haha :)

So after a couple weeks how are you getting use to/enjoying the power?

I thought we left the 14 lb spring in it...good thing we didn't :)
Although my AEM Boost gauge is showing 14lbs of boost at full throttle.

Getting used it very well and liking it more than the SC.
As we discussed in lesson #1, stay ahead of the power curve and everything is easily controllable.

Lighter on the gas peddle out of turns, get it pointed straight, smash away, hang on tight… and here we go....

It's just amazing how fast it is getting to fast.

I also like the fact of how it just purrs along when cruising.

Lighter on the gas peddle out of turns, get it pointed straight, smash away, hang on tight… and here we go....

It's just amazing how fast it is getting to fast.

I also like the fact of how it just purrs along when cruising.

That's how I feel about my turbo too. Once you get the motor spinning, watch out. From 4000-6000 rpms you're saying "holy crap that's fast", and from 6000-8000 you're thinking "we're all gonna die". :biggrin:

Back