• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Supra owner forced to drive NSX

So I decided to see what all the commotion was about with these NSXs. I took my TT bone stock Supra to a dealer and test drove a 2000 NSX. Bottom line and the end all to the discussion- the NSX is a F1 race car in drag. Damn NSX! The Supra is a nice gt cruiser compared to it. The Vette and Viper are nice- but there is NO comparison other than maybe a 360 to this car. Anyone who says otherwise is brain challenged. Even the Porches are prosaic compared to it.

I have always looked at the NSX as a wannabe car- I am sorry I took the test drive because at least before I could justify my not having one with many reasons.

The Supra is a great car for what it is- it revs high, has great reliability, very fast (after the second turbo kicks in) and looks sexy. BUT the NSX, from the moment you sit in it, is a totally different experience. The ride was exhilerating- unbelievable-no M3, z06 or viper is even close.

I will shut up now and cry.

Wow for once it's the other way around. No NSX bash from a supra owner! You are correct they are both great cars in their own way. The NSX just has that something special!

------------------
Jason

I'm totally with you. It's the first NSX drive that got to me and I knew I had to have one. After I get the NSX, I'm not test driving any other exotic sports cars for a while
biggrin.gif

-Awais

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

I have owned a lot of fast cars in my time, ones that were in the low 11s in the quarter mile, but nothing is better than sitting in the beast we all have grown to love the nsx.

Yes, the TT supra is a nice looking car and does in fact push close to if not more than 500hp and runs 12s all day long..BUT think about it if us nsx owners were able to put that kind of turbo system on our beast (room in engin compartment permited), we would be untouchable and would be able to ROAST the TT supra. On a autocross track the TT isnt able to out handel the nsx in the corners, I know this cuase i have done it. Plus having many friends that own the supra TT and I have been in many of them, nothing compares to the handlen of the NSX.

I have had my nsx for about a year now and the ONLY other car i would EVER get to replace it would be a newer year nsx. GUYS if you want the nsx get one set your goal and get it. From the time I was 17 and the first nsx rolled in the acura showroom and i sat in it i wanted one, and well LOL 12 years later i got one, but the fact is i got one and love it. Its just something about it from the time you sit in the seat/cockpit for the first time, that right there gets you SPRUNG like a little teen with this first puppy love. Or when you get out of it and look at it and say " Man I own a nsx" or the attention you get and the crouds you attract when you drive up... is just something about that feelin.

Sure the nsx wasn't built for speed, but for handlen and a class of engineering smartness of its own. I mean by no means is our beast slow or anything running mid 13's bone stock, but with some time and work and the help of mark bosch(LITTLE PLUG THERE FOR MARK BOSCH) =o) well give those TT supras a run for there money and thell have a fun time with looking at our custom lic plates.

BUT i think the most that i like about owning my nsx is the closness of the owners like one big family, and that my friends nowone can replace.Go to a nsx meet or a get together and you will see what im takling about.

POG

[This message has been edited by THEPOGNSXTC (edited 13 October 2002).]

Its interesting to read the posts and read the car rags and think that you know all about a car. The reason I posted about my experience is that I have just test driven extensively an M5, M3, z06, viper,and C4s. Based on opinions, data and forum posts, the NSX wasn't even on the list- I mean why test a wannabe?? Well everyone is full of shit because it was ONLY after the NSX test that I got out of the car and felt exhilarated. As I said its low profile and engine noise along with unbelievable cornering gave me the feeling I was in a race car- not a sports sedan or sports car.

So again, I am thinking maybe the P- turbo or 360 would be as or more thrilling- however I can't imagine the margin is that great.

BTW- my Supra and the vette, viper and M3 feel "heavy" in the corners. What struck me about the NSX was how light it was in the corner again like I would imagine a Ferrari or P-turbo is.

I come back to this conclusion- the only people who rag on this car just haven't driven it- period.

Anyway- I will be posting today a question re purchasing one because I now must have one.

Originally posted by veejayy:
I come back to this conclusion- the only people who rag on this car just haven't driven it- period.

Well put. I felt the same way about the NSX until I drove one.
It made me realize that the articles in car magazines are often full of crap.
When they get the opinion of a driver say like Mario Andretti and his impressions, THEN you have a more qualified opinion and usually more on target.

The NSX is an incredible machine and I love mine like nothing else. I also loved the Supra TT that I had before the NSX. It is also a great car that was wonderful to drive. Each design approachs speed and visceral feel from a different perspective.

Since bashing other cars is not our objective but often times the objective in other enthusiast forums, what is so refreshing about veejayy's post is the positive comments from a Supra owner. It seems so much more often to be the opposite coming from the Supra folks.

Thanks for passing on the complements and being willing to keep an open mind. Sounds like you had the chance to do some fun car testing!

------------------
'95 Green NSX-T

[This message has been edited by Arnis (edited 13 October 2002).]

Veejayy,

There is something so special about an NSX that your can't describe, you just have to own it. Everytime you start the engine and take off it is FUN!! That's what it is all about. I have driven other exotics and I always have the same impression-that driving it was ok but something that I was not in a hurry to do again. Not that way with the NSX. It truly is like driving a F1 racecar. For a everyday sports sedan, you can't beat the M5 (I love mine as much as my NSX)! Have a great one, hope you become an owner soon and please put your post on the supra board.

[This message has been edited by Zman (edited 13 October 2002).]

Yes, we drive the NSX because it is a great car!!!
.....but, it is slowly becoming obsolete - someone, please tell the guys in Japan that we need more power!!!!

Do I have regrets replacing my Viper with an NSX -not at all - but I sure do miss the power!!!

Zman- I won't be posting on the Supra board anytime soon. That board is crazy now- I mean hyperbole to the max. But a good suggestion. Its interesting that NSX folks are always on the defensive while Supra folks are not ever in that position. Its interesting- I bought mine new off the lot in 97 because NO ONE wanted Supras then.I got for 1k off sticker (approx 41 and change) Talk about a wannabe- I mean with the big ass spoiler and fat ass I guess it was trying to be a Ferrari- they had to drop the price 10k from the previous year to get any takers. And even then it was considered a GT-now - holy s**t-it has transformed into this drag car with 2000 rwhp or something- even Acura dealers want my car to sell- the market will die though if it hasn't already with the Z and a new Supra in the works.

Yeah- the drive was incredible and it ruined my weekend. I am doing my due diligence and will post a couple of questions in the selling forum.

My impression of the NSX community is because of the commonality of always having to defend the car you seem to be tight. Also Acura wholesalers seem friendly when you talk to them about the book on NSX. On that point, one wholesaler I talked to in the east coast said he would probably pay 56-57k for low mileage 2000. If you look on Autotrader you see a bunch of 2000s with retail that doesn't seem realistic give those facts. Just my opinion. He stated the market has gone downhill with the economy.

My only concern at this point is body damage- unless its obvious I won't see it. So my question I will post will relate to this.

BTW- I won't be giving up the Supra-still love it- headed out for a long drive- but now part of the time I will be thinking about the NSX!

...I come back to this conclusion- the only people who rag on this car just haven't driven it- period.

Unless they drove one that wasn't "right". Many of the older cars have not been maintained and are on worn shocks and worse yet, the wrong tires and alignment specs. While other tires may grip as well or better at the limits, nothing will given the "feel" of the specially designed OEM tires with OEM alignment. Together they are critical to what makes the NSX seem dramatically different than other fine cars on that first drive.

Had my Supra tuned by Millen to 475HP streetable power. Still felt like a bus compared to my NSX. Sold it! Now, three years later, the NSX feels like a bus compared to the 360 but I just can't get myself to sell it. It's still one hell of a car.

I'm glad you liked the ride. =) I went out with about 15 of my Supra dawgs and gave about half of them the chance to take the NSX for a spin. They all came back and were like wow, it feels so nimble, it's like driving a go-kart! I think it's really hard to explain to people just how precise the handling is until they've actually had a chance to drive it themselves. The Supra is a wonderful car and I still want to add one to the stable. It's fast as shit!!! Easy to mod. I think the only sound I like better than the sound of the exhaust and bov on a Supra is the whine of a Ferrari. Excluding the drug I call Vtec in our cars.
wink.gif
The Supra is a heavy car though. The first time I was in either one, I was blown away. But at different things. The first time I was in a Supra I was blown away by the raw power. The first time I was in an NSX, I was blown away by how well composed it was in turns at high speeds, speeds that I didn't think we could do safely. That said, I'm glad you can appreciate both. Too many people feel the need to say one or the other is better.

Originally posted by bboxer:
, the NSX feels like a bus compared to the 360

I just drove a 360 Spider last week and I can't understand how you can say that? I thought the NSX has a better driving postioins and feels much tighter than the 360.

I have just test driven extensively an M5, M3, z06, viper,and C4s. Based on opinions, data and forum posts, the NSX wasn't even on the list- I mean why test a wannabe??

I find it interesting that the general population considers a lightweight, hand-made, all-aluminum, mid-engined car such as the NSX a "wannabe" sportscar, while a heavy 4-dr luxury performance sedan with back seats such as the M5 makes "the list."

How ironic.

I feel that the only reason why people say things like that is cuase they never been in one or ever driven one. The word wanabee would be refering to the people who WANA have a nsx put cant get one, so they have to talk bad about it.

But also i think that this inst a bashin here guys,I think if im not mistaken this supra owner is acually giving us nsx owners a complement here.

This is a frist... LOL

Originally posted by THEPOGNSXTC:

But also i think that this inst a bashin here guys,I think if im not mistaken this supra owner is acually giving us nsx owners a complement here.

This is a frist... LOL

Yes, this particular owner is indeed complimenting the NSX. He has officially caught NSX fever and now wants to join us in the darkside
biggrin.gif

Also notice my previous post wasn't particularly directed at him; I was making a reference to the general population's flawed point of view.

Zuerst- 2000 MY
8000 RPM- yes I was one of those people that thought that way but have gotten religion- got what you were saying anyway.

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
...I was making a reference to the general population's flawed point of view.

I agree with this completely. It seems to me that a lot of car owners of various makes, a substantial portion Supra owners included, get sold the superiority of their car by good marketing, or performance numbers, or by the nameplate attached to it. The NSX is not a well marketed car, nor is it a dragster. It is however one of the most personally satisfying cars I have ever encountered. I think what makes this board and the people on it special, is that we have all come to that realization by our own firsthand experiences, not solely by the numbers or the emblem on the hood.

The Supra is a fantastic car, and I would love to own one. This is even more true when you consider the sticker of a new Supra TT was about 60% that of a new NSX in 1997. However, today my budget forced me into choices of a 97-98 Supra TT, a 91-96 NSX, a year or two old Z06 and a few others. I don't fault anyone for making a decision other than the NSX, but I am VERY pleased with mine. I hope to add a few cars to the stable as finances allow, but I doubt I will ever be NSX-less.

P.S. veejayy Welcome to the forum!

My impression of the NSX community is because of the commonality of always having to defend the car you seem to be tight.

Veejayy, I disagree with you on this point. The NSX is NOT considered a "wannabe" car by most of the automotive enthusiast world, and we do NOT have to defend the car very often. That is a peculiarity that is specific ONLY to the Supra owners and is a reflection of their insecurity about their own car. I instruct in a lot of track events and have a lot of contact with owners of lots of other marques. Virtually everyone gives the NSX tremendous respect.

The NSX community is a tight and friendly community primarily because our numbers are so small, and because the NSX is relatively unknown outside the enthusiast community. So we have a "secret" - like a secret handshake - and the secret is that the NSX is one of the truly great sports cars in the world, and each of us is lucky enough to own one and able to enjoy that secret. We don't have to defend it. We just have to enjoy it. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.
biggrin.gif

one wholesaler I talked to in the east coast said he would probably pay 56-57k for low mileage 2000. If you look on Autotrader you see a bunch of 2000s with retail that doesn't seem realistic give those facts. Just my opinion. He stated the market has gone downhill with the economy.

I think the 2000 cars are getting squeezed in price between the new 2002 cars and the older '97 cars. You can buy a new 2002 NSX-T for under $75K, so that puts pressure on the 2000. And there are lots of '97 NSXs around for low fifties and even occasionally dipping into the upper forties. The 2000 cars are stuck with these as comparisons. That's why selling prices at retail on a low-mileage 2000 have dropped to the low sixties. Is the economy responsible for the drop in prices for those other years? I'm sure it's a major factor. Also, this is a good time of year to be buying, when buyers start getting desperate to unload the car before winter.

When you look at Autotrader, keep in mind that these are asking prices, and most folks expect to negotiate downward by 5-10 percent; also keep in mind that some asking prices can be ridiculously high, but that doesn't mean that the car is worth it.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 14 October 2002).]

Back