• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Surging idle fixed

I would like to share my experience troubleshooting my constant surging idle.
The symptoms would make you think it was a vacuum leaked, clogged injectors, bad coil plugs, bad iacv.
Cleaned the throttle body, iacv, checked all vacuum lines, cleaned injectors , still i had the same surging idle from 500rpm-1k rpm. It was so annoying.
I thought it was a bad ignitor since you really can't test it, but that would cost $$ to replace. The RL misfire module looks the same as the nsx ignitor and will not work. I end up changing the coil plugs, but didnt want to spend $100 a piece for all 6. I ended up buying 91-94 legend coil plugs for about $100 for all 6 off ebay.
These will work and mount up, but you can't put the coil covers on.

After replacing the coil plugs the surging idle still exist and i can smell the engine running rich from the exhaust.
I then checked the tps and notice two different screws like someone had been messing with it before. I end up testing the tps, and at close throttle it was reading
1.5v +/- .3v which would be why i can smell the engine was running rich cause of the smell coming out the exhaust.
I end up adjusting the tps, but can only get it to .6-.7 close throttle. If i would of put much more pressure on the sensor it would have broken the tps.
At .6v-.7v the surging was still there. So i figured there is a gap between the metal prongs in which the tps sensor goes in. I was able to squeeze the metal prongs closer to lessen the gap. I was able to get a better tps reading to .5v , reset the ecu , and the idle was in specs 800 rpm +/- 50. test drove ,and all was good.

I hope that this could help fellow members outs. I know parts are expensive and some parts you can't really test. Throwing parts to see if it would fix the problem can cost alot of $$ and time. Good thing is that 91-94 Legend coil plugs are cheaper than nsx, and works fine, fuel injectors can interchange with other obd1 honda/acura injectors.

Did that too....Nothing. Thought upgrading the fuel pump would fix it, nope. I am gonna try and make the next South Florida meet, hopefully someone can look at it. I'm done.

Back