• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suspension Mystery!

Well, for those who recall, one of my sons grabed my NSX and took it out for some fun. The last we visited, I was looking for a new front bumper (thanks to those who contacted me on this). Well, I finally found the culprit (the younger son... he was suppose to be the good one!!!). Other than the busted bumper, the car was 4 inches higher on the damaged side than the other. It seems that he hit an earth berm at around 20 mph. I was able to even the car out messing with the Tein Flex coil overs, but I know that there are still issues. The shock on one side is about 3 inches lower that the other, which visually evens the car out. The car drives fine and from underneath, I can see no damage. Does anyone want to guess what would be damaged to make the car higher on the 'hit' side while there is absolutely no visible damage (even the body panels are still aligned).

Did the impact blow out a shock?:confused:

a car has 4 contact points with earth.For a front corner to be higher means its diagonal couterpart in the rear must be lower,,,so check your rear suspension for something awrie.:wink:

Tom, I too am a little flummoxed trying to make sense of your dilemma. It sounds as if an A-arm may be bent, but there is really no way of knowing without seeing it.

At any rate, a problem of this magnitude is best left to the professionals. Take it to the shop.

Thanks fellas, no, the body looks fine, the fender gaps are consistent. The impact side shock is not leaking and seems fine. I'll check the rear of the car now. I guess I need to get it on a lift. When I bring it in to get the bumper replaced I'll have the body shop take a look. Keep the guesses coming... This is the best on-line car community on the web!

Okay, I see now, from this thread, that you have the computer adjustable Teins. What is the rate of height adjustability? Is it possible that the sensors on one or more units was hurt in the accident?

Great thought Ken. I just pulled the car out and all looks perfect under the hood. Based upon your thought I even turned on the computer and changed the settings on the shocks to be sure they worked... and they did. This really is confounding, I adjusted the 'hit' side shock a good, well, three inches or so different from the other side. Ykies!!!!

i wish i had a better grasp on 'car sitting higher' but from what you described i may surmise that there is a possibility of internal shock damage- something slipped due to impact and the shock length changed which then you had to correct by re-adjusting it. is my assumption correct that basically one of the shocks was making the car sit higher than others?

edit: actually after reading the post again it could be a bent a-arm as previously stated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I agree with you Swerve. I certainly hope it is a shock as that would probably be less expensive to repair/replace. Unfortunately, the shock really looks fine, there is no fluid anywhere. I just don't want to think how much one of those beautiful aluminium pieces would cost!!!!!

The broken shock may be a good explanation. Consider the effect of having the shock fully extended during the event and then having the piston jammed in that extended state. Can you see the entire shock/shaft at each corner?

I think I agree with you Swerve. I certainly hope it is a shock as that would probably be less expensive to repair/replace. Unfortunately, the shock really looks fine, there is no fluid anywhere. I just don't want to think how much one of those beautiful aluminium pieces would cost!!!!!

can you post pics of both sides?

Back