• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suspension Questions: Best Setup for Everyday Driving/Occasional Track

Suspension Questions: Best Setup for Everyday Driving/Occasional Track. KWV3 iLift?

Being new, but being very involved with many forums in the past, I'm impressed how much info is on NSXPrime. It's incredibly helpful.

I've searched already, but still have questions specific to my application that would be helpful before I embark on a major rebuild of the suspension. As a background, my car is a 91 NSX with 91k miles on it. As for suspension, the previous owner said the car has Comptech sway bars, Comptech Sport Springs and Koni shocks. That's all he knew, since the car had them on when he bought it 4 years ago. Also has Driving Ambition's Noncompliance Toe Link and Rear Beam.

Currently, the car rides overly stiff (compared to my McLaren 12C and RS4 with KWV3s) and small bumps will actually bounce it off line on the highway. Definitely feel like there's no damping at all. Also feels like the suspension may need new bushings as there feels like a little looseness that I'm not accustomed to.

My intention is to make the car a daily driver with occasional track duty. I don't have much time owing to my career - so I can maybe go to track once every month at most - more likely once every 3 months. Where I live (NorCal) the roads are extremely variable in terms of quality. And there are a lot of driveways that are not low car friendly. I have a lift system in my McLaren - and it works perfect for these situations without affecting the quality of it's suspension.

Finally, I'm not looking to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a suspension system. Something in the middle range would be good.

Here are my questions:

1) I plan on going the KW V3 route. Have had them on multiple cars (standard suspension on my C63 Black Series I had before) and I love them. How does the car ride on rough roads?

2) How low can the KW's go? I don't like wheel gap, so I tend to want the car to sit about 1/2 inch above the tires. Will this be doable with the KWV3s?

3) ILiftSystem - love the concept. But will this hurt the car on track days? It's a little expensive, but I'm willing to go with it if it works out with track days. It's not THAT important, but if it has no effect on handling/track than I might be willing to add it.

4) Camber/bushings/etc. Any recommendations for my specific application?

Thanks so much in advance. I know its a lot of questions, but I'm excited to get the car going!

Rich

Last edited:
Read any thread on here with KW V3 mentioned it will have all the info you require buy them be happy forget about anything else with camber etc unless you start tracking a lot

iLIFT(R) Intelligent Suspension Lift Systems for track cars

Being new, but being very involved with many forums in the past, I'm impressed how much info is on NSXPrime. It's incredibly helpful.

I've searched already, but still have questions specific to my application that would be helpful before I embark on a major rebuild of the suspension. As a background, my car is a 91 NSX with 91k miles on it. As for suspension, the previous owner said the car has Comptech sway bars, Comptech Sport Springs and Koni shocks. That's all he knew, since the car had them on when he bought it 4 years ago. Also has Driving Ambition's Noncompliance Toe Link and Rear Beam.

Currently, the car rides overly stiff (compared to my McLaren 12C and RS4 with KWV3s) and small bumps will actually bounce it off line on the highway. Definitely feel like there's no damping at all. Also feels like the suspension may need new bushings as there feels like a little looseness that I'm not accustomed to.

My intention is to make the car a daily driver with occasional track duty. I don't have much time owing to my career - so I can maybe go to track once every month at most - more likely once every 3 months. Where I live (NorCal) the roads are extremely variable in terms of quality. And there are a lot of driveways that are not low car friendly. I have a lift system in my McLaren - and it works perfect for these situations without affecting the quality of it's suspension.

Finally, I'm not looking to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a suspension system. Something in the middle range would be good.

Here are my questions:

1) I plan on going the KW V3 route. Have had them on multiple cars (standard suspension on my C63 Black Series I had before) and I love them. How does the car ride on rough roads?

2) How low can the KW's go? I don't like wheel gap, so I tend to want the car to sit about 1/2 inch above the tires. Will this be doable with the KWV3s?

3) ILiftSystem - love the concept. But will this hurt the car on track days? It's a little expensive, but I'm willing to go with it if it works out with track days. It's not THAT important, but if it has no effect on handling/track than I might be willing to add it.

4) Camber/bushings/etc. Any recommendations for my specific application?

Thanks so much in advance. I know its a lot of questions, but I'm excited to get the car going!

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm the creator of the iLIFT(R) Intelligent Suspension Lift Systems.
I designed the iLIFT(R) Systems specifically to maintain the suspension's high performance and minimize the weight and space requirements.
I formerly raced Formula cars and I can assure you that adding an iLIFT(R) system to your car will preserve the high performance handling of your car on the track.

I drove my twin turbo NSX (560 WHP) on the track at the 2103 NSXPO and put approximately 180 track miles on the car with the iLIFT(R) system over two days. On the second day at the end of a long straight away, I started braking a bit too late and couldn't brake and downshift fast enough. The rear end of the car came around and I though I was going off course but I was able to save it and keep the car on course.
Thanks to the iLIFT(R) serving as a solid part of the spring mount, I was able to control the car and its suspension in a tough situation on the track.

The iLIFT(R) components that fits on the top of the coilover springs simply acts as a solid spacer. They are NOT air bags! They are uniquely designed for high performance and efficient use of space and air.
The iLIFT(R) cylinder assemblies are compact, light weight and weigh less than 2 pounds each.
The iLIFT(R) Systems are controlled by a very powerful and sophisticated Electronic Control Unit (ECU) that is highly configurable to match virtually any car and any driver's preferences.

They work great with KWV3's.
Here's a pic of my car on KWV3's with the iLIFT(R) System.
The car is very drive able over any road conditions with this ride height and the iLIFT(R).
iLIFT®-HIN-2014-13.jpg

The iLIFT(R) System gives you the option to lower the car even lower than is practical without an iLIFT(R) System because you don't have to compromise and set your ride height high enough to go over obstacles such as speed bumps and drive ways. You can set your car as low as you want to improve handling and performance. The iLIFT(R) can automatically raise your car when it sensed inadequate ground clearance or when you simply tap the ACCEL button on your steering wheel to manually raise your car.

You can see videos of the iLIFT(R) Systems in operation at: www.iLiftSystems.com.

Steven Lee

Manager
Stealth Innovative Systems, LLC
Ph. 559-GO-ILIFT (559-464-5438)

Last edited:
Thanks Steven. One question - can your car go lower than that on kW v3?

Thanks Steven. One question - can your car go lower than that on kW v3?

You can go lower with the KWV3's. The KW's use relatively soft springs with helper springs. This provides for superior compliance and allows for a lot of travel in droop. This contributes to the KW's ride comfort AND high performance.

The length of the front KW springs may limit the amount you can lower your NSX. You can change the springs to lower the car. I'm using shorter Swift Springs on my car. We are a KW dealer and a Swift Spring dealer and can provide specific recommendations for your car and your driving needs.

I'm running 10K front springs and 8K rears.
My wheels and tires are wide and will rub the front fender if I lower too low. Front tires are 235 and rears are 295.

Feel free to contact us to discuss your specific application.

Steven Lee

Manager
Stealth Innovative Systems, LLC
Ph. 559-465-5438

www.iLiftSystems.com

Back