• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Switching out stock seats (2004 model)

Hello all,
I read the year-by-year changes to the NSX and did not see any mention of changes to the seat. Are they interchangeable from year to year? I have an '04 with damage to the leather and am thinking about replacing the leather vs replacing the seats entirely with stock seats from a different year. The ones I'm looking at are from '96, so I'd like to know if they will work or if any modification is required. Thanks!

Hello all,
I read the year-by-year changes to the NSX and did not see any mention of changes to the seat. Are they interchangeable from year to year? I have an '04 with damage to the leather and am thinking about replacing the leather vs replacing the seats entirely with stock seats from a different year. The ones I'm looking at are from '96, so I'd like to know if they will work or if any modification is required. Thanks!
I believe '01+ seats for the NSX are perforated with contrast-stitching, whereas '91-'01 NSX seats are smooth, gathered leather with matching stitching.

Otherwise, all the seats should be interchangeable in terms of fitment.

Replacing/fixing the leather may be the best course of action for your situation, whether completely recovering the entire seat or just replacing/repairing a panel of the seat covering.

There are small differences, but nothing that can't be overcome with using early seat in a later model car (slightly different sizes of bolts, etc). I swapped an old set in to my car to use as track seats. As mentioned above though, recovering the seats via leatherseats.com or similar (do some searching on this forum) may be a better option.

The stitching on the seats is not contrasting, that is only the dash. 2000-2005 seats are perforated leather, pre-2000 seats are gathered.

I was once involved in a project where someone was putting '91 seats in an '04 and the electric connectors were slightly different but it wasn't too much trouble to make them work.

+1 on trying to get them reupholstered first.

Thanks all! I will contact some people for actual quotes, but does anyone have an idea what it might cost to switch out just the leather? That custom leather from leatherseats.com looks amazing!

I was once involved in a project where someone was putting '91 seats in an '04 and the electric connectors were slightly different but it wasn't too much trouble to make them work.

Ya, had the same problem. Can't remember how we solved it exactly, but it wasn't that big of an obstacle.

Thanks for the seats-101 tutorial, Primers! :D

Thanks all! I will contact some people for actual quotes, but does anyone have an idea what it might cost to switch out just the leather?
Generally speaking, basic leather seat-covers can be purchased for $550-$650 and installation can vary from $200-$400. There are a few vendors who can offer NSX-specific seat recovering kits (basic, custom, etc) or you can goto a reputable, proficient/experienced interior trim shop who can also do it to your preference and satisfaction for $1k (+/- $250).

I ordered seat covers from Leatherseats and should have them in a week or so. I'm getting contrasting stitching plus NSX logo in the headrests as well as a shift boot with stitching. Around 900 bucks. I went to one shop who wanted a thousand to install, telling me they needed special knowledge. Found another guy for $350 recommended by a high class body shop. Will post pics after they're in so you can decide for yourselves.

Are you happy with your LeatherSeats leathers? Did you get them installed yet and if so what was the final installation cost?

I bought the top-end, all leather kit from them. 1200 bucks as I recall. I did the work myself. I am no mechanic/tradesman so I was glad to escape with all 9 fingers intact. Seats came out great. Quality was OEM. I highly recommend.

Back