• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Synthetic Oils

About 7 years ago I adjusted the valves on a BMW with 500k miles on the clock with the original engine. The inside still looked brand new and it had only Mobil 1 its entire life. That is enough for me to be a believer in it.

I think it is a cheaper solution to Ran Up. I think both are using Boron Nitride which is a ceramic powder lubricant.

Resurrecting this old thread. Liqui Moly is mentioned in post #11 but I can't seem to find a 10W-30 that isn't gear oil or for street/motorbikes. I recently switched to using liqui moly 5W-40 for my RS4 and it was nothing short of mind blowing the difference it made to the engine performance and exhaust note, as well as eliminating some hesitation/power loss issues I was experiencing. Is anyone using liqui moly in their NSX?

My favorite YouTube channel! Still trying to get him to test RSR Ran*Up against CeraTec!

Anyone have much experience using Redline in their NSX? I have been using it in my other two cars and was about to order a case of it for the NSX. So far I have used Mobile 1 for the first two changes since I picked the car up 7 months ago.

Seems Pennzoil Ultra gets good reviews as of late so maybe worth giving that a shot instead as I believe it is much cheaper.

Anyone have much experience using Redline in their NSX? I have been using it in my other two cars and was about to order a case of it for the NSX. So far I have used Mobile 1 for the first two changes since I picked the car up 7 months ago.

Seems Pennzoil Ultra gets good reviews as of late so maybe worth giving that a shot instead as I believe it is much cheaper.

Rare these days to see a "best oil" thread lol :D Most of those scorched earth internet wars are over now, but it's not really going to matter for your NSX what oil you use so long as you follow the specified change intervals and use acceptable viscosity. Remember, the engine was designed to run on plain, old Honda 10W-30 dino oil. So, if you really wanted to, you could just use any dino oil that meets the minimum specifications (API Service Grade SG "Energy Conserving II" or better) and change it every 3,000 miles. Synthetic has two advantages over dino oil: longer life and better resistance to heat. So, if you want to run a change interval more than 3,000 miles, or you use your NSX in primarily high-heat conditions (track car), synthetic makes sense. I personally run a 5,000 mile change interval (or 1 year, whichever comes first), so I use synthetic oil. This is mostly because of the filter, not the oil. A good synthetic oil can go 10,000 miles or more before breaking down, but the filters are not designed to last that long! I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in my NSXs because I operate the engine in temperatures as low as 0F (where the 0W helps greatly on startup) and at the track, where standard 30W thins out too much for my comfort.

I've had great success with the Mobil 1 product in all of my cars, including the GT-R and NSX, but brand doesn't matter as much as how you drive the car. The best thing you can do for the engine oil is to drive on long highway cruises. The oil gets nice and hot and circulates around the engine, cleaning everything. The worst thing you can do, even if you have the super-duper wonder oils, is short drives where the oil never gets up to temp. This leads to sludge, varnish and oil that is contaminated with PCV blowby and moisture that never has a chance to burn off. I would honestly find a good synth that is not that expensive, change it with a Honda filter every 5,000 miles, and drive the car on the expressway for at least an hour a week. Your Mobil 1 was fine and I'm sure the Redline will be also.

I used Redline until Pennzoil UP came out since that was the oil that Ferrari of North America, Viper ACR and few others use.

Pennzoil is a very different oil company since Shell bought them (and Quaker State).

When I had the GT-R, I heard good things about the Pennzoil UP since the natural gas base stock seemed to yield better resistance to the heat and pressure of high boost. A lot of the modded guys were using this oil.

I use 4qts 10w30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum mixed with 2qts 15w40 Tribodyn oil on a built engine with oem-sized bearing clearances but seeing a much higher load.

The Tribodyn adds a pretty good anti-wear additive package (but it's not a friction reducer from Dyno tests) that [MENTION=22066]Operator[/MENTION] recommended after doing his own Timken load tests. Royal Purple also tested well for load.

Been using this concoction for awhile now per post 541:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/154927-Semi-DIY-Mild-Engine-Build-for-FI/page22?p=1971042&viewfull=1#post1971042

Rare these days to see a "best oil" thread lol :D Most of those scorched earth internet wars are over now, but it's not really going to matter for your NSX what oil you use so long as you follow the specified change intervals and use acceptable viscosity. Remember, the engine was designed to run on plain, old Honda 10W-30 dino oil. So, if you really wanted to, you could just use any dino oil that meets the minimum specifications (API Service Grade SG "Energy Conserving II" or better) and change it every 3,000 miles. Synthetic has two advantages over dino oil: longer life and better resistance to heat. So, if you want to run a change interval more than 3,000 miles, or you use your NSX in primarily high-heat conditions (track car), synthetic makes sense. I personally run a 5,000 mile change interval (or 1 year, whichever comes first), so I use synthetic oil. This is mostly because of the filter, not the oil. A good synthetic oil can go 10,000 miles or more before breaking down, but the filters are not designed to last that long! I use Mobil 1 0W-40 in my NSXs because I operate the engine in temperatures as low as 0F (where the 0W helps greatly on startup) and at the track, where standard 30W thins out too much for my comfort.

I've had great success with the Mobil 1 product in all of my cars, including the GT-R and NSX, but brand doesn't matter as much as how you drive the car. The best thing you can do for the engine oil is to drive on long highway cruises. The oil gets nice and hot and circulates around the engine, cleaning everything. The worst thing you can do, even if you have the super-duper wonder oils, is short drives where the oil never gets up to temp. This leads to sludge, varnish and oil that is contaminated with PCV blowby and moisture that never has a chance to burn off. I would honestly find a good synth that is not that expensive, change it with a Honda filter every 5,000 miles, and drive the car on the expressway for at least an hour a week. Your Mobil 1 was fine and I'm sure the Redline will be also.

When I had the GT-R, I heard good things about the Pennzoil UP since the natural gas base stock seemed to yield better resistance to the heat and pressure of high boost. A lot of the modded guys were using this oil.
This right here is why I don't drive my NSX more than once a week to work cause my work commute is only 1.5 miles. The car never heats up. Honestly have thought about buying a motorcycle to commute with because of this.

If all modern synthetic oil is that good and I always change at or before 5k miles then guess doesn't much matter what I use since I am not tracking it. Even if I were to track it it would maybe be once or twice a year eventually.

This right here is why I don't drive my NSX more than once a week to work cause my work commute is only 1.5 miles. The car never heats up. Honestly have thought about buying a motorcycle to commute with because of this.

If all modern synthetic oil is that good and I always change at or before 5k miles then guess doesn't much matter what I use since I am not tracking it. Even if I were to track it it would maybe be once or twice a year eventually.

You can do those stop and goes as long as you throw in a nice long cruise every week or so to burn everything off. Generally speaking, it's better to drive your NSX than let it sit and rot. My work commute is only 3 miles and I daily drove my first NSX. In my case, I travel a lot for work, so I had a 45 minute drive to the airport at 80 mph about every 2 weeks. When I opened my engine for the timing belt change, it was gleaming and only had mild varnish on the front head from the PCV blowby. When I did the head gasket, there was very little carbon on the pistons. This is with using Mobil 1 0W-40 for about 20,000 miles. If you're only going to track once or twice per year, then you're 100% right- any good synth is going to be just fine. If you're not going to drive it in the winter, go with 10W-30. If you're going to run it in temps below freezing, go with either 5W-30 or 0W-40. Your car is gorgeous- I say get out there and drive it!

I've changed my Pennzoil UP oil every 10k miles in all of my cars.

The oil is so good that when it was at 125k~ miles I had it pulled apart to to upgrade the internals to handle high boost.

The shop that did the work asked what oil I used since they said the tolerances of the parts were of an engine with 25k~ miles.

Also, I have had the oil sent off to Blackstone for the full analysis with great news.

I use Organic EVVO. A little salt, pepper, and some Montreal Seasoning. I heat my grill to 700deg and bam, my steaks come out perfect.

I've changed my Pennzoil UP oil every 10k miles in all of my cars.

The oil is so good that when it was at 125k~ miles I had it pulled apart to to upgrade the internals to handle high boost.

The shop that did the work asked what oil I used since they said the tolerances of the parts were of an engine with 25k~ miles.

Also, I have had the oil sent off to Blackstone for the full analysis with great news.

Bats that is awesome- the UP is a great oil.

I use Organic EVVO. A little salt, pepper, and some Montreal Seasoning. I heat my grill to 700deg and bam, my steaks come out perfect.

I stick with the Kirkland EVOO from Costco. "Organic" is just some hippie looking at the olive trees and deciding that their olive shakras "heal the Earth." That way, they can slap a sticker on it and charge you an extra $2 for the same stuff. :D Also, try Johnny's Seasoning Salt- works great on steaks and chicken too!

Bats that is awesome- the UP is a great oil.

I stick with the Kirkland EVOO from Costco. "Organic" is just some hippie looking at the olive trees and deciding that their olive shakras "heal the Earth." That way, they can slap a sticker on it and charge you an extra $2 for the same stuff. :D Also, try Johnny's Seasoning Salt- works great on steaks and chicken too!

That’s where I get it from. Definitely tastes better than the regular Dino oil.

I always take my NSX's to Nick at Applied Motorsports (NSX exclusive shop) and that's all he uses.... he's been doing it for over 20 years now so I trust his choices in what works well for the NSX....that's good enough for me

First Place: Amsoil SS at almost double the price of 2nd place: Pennzoil UP.

They finished so close that it's really a moot point.

After watching this vid a few weeks ago, I still cannot find Penn UP in my locality. Advance, NAPA, AutoZone...nada. Maybe everyone is buying them up and I need to order through Walmart.

After watching this vid a few weeks ago, I still cannot find Penn UP in my locality. Advance, NAPA, AutoZone...nada. Maybe everyone is buying them up and I need to order through Walmart.

Weird. My local Walmart here in Lone Tree has the UP on the shelf.

Back