• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Synthetic Vs Oem Oil

What's up...I just recently purchased a 2003 NSX from a porsche dealer and I am not sure if the car has synthetic oil or regular oil...How can I tell because I,ve heard that you shoudn't go back to regular oil if synthetic was used.

What's up...I just recently purchased a 2003 NSX from a porsche dealer and I am not sure if the car has synthetic oil or regular oil...How can I tell because I,ve heard that you shoudn't go back to regular oil if synthetic was used.
The taste!? J/K. There usually is a sticker somewhere that says not only when the next oil change is due, but what type of oil was used. If not, see if the dealer knows (maybe they changed the oil) or if they could get in touch with the previous owner to find out what oil had been used. I change out my oil every 3,000 miles and use regular not synthetic oil

Just curious, was the car purchased here in Houston?

Just stay with synthetic...change every 5K miles.

I think the reason they say not to switch back from synthetic was because some gaskets were prone to leaking after switching back...not sure how true that is...

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you'll never be able to tell the difference between dino and synthetic oils in your car, now or in the future. (Except, that is, for the price.)

I've switched many times from dino to synthetic and back and my engine weeps about the same amount the whole time. :)

In other words, don't worry. Then, in 5k miles or so, switch to whatever properly rated oil you care to use. Your manual states the recommended grade.

This, btw, has to be the #1 thread on ALL car lists. If you just have to have a few thousand more opinions, the search button will flood you with results. Happy reading.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you'll never be able to tell the difference between dino and synthetic oils in your car, now or in the future. (Except, that is, for the price.)

I've switched many times from dino to synthetic and back and my engine weeps about the same amount the whole time. :)

In other words, don't worry. Then, in 5k miles or so, switch to whatever properly rated oil you care to use. Your manual states the recommended grade.

This, btw, has to be the #1 thread on ALL car lists. If you just have to have a few thousand more opinions, the search button will flood you with results. Happy reading.

Well the point of using synthetic isn't to be able to feel any performance difference but rather to offer better protection that we probably would never be able to see if we didn't open up th engine and examine the surfaces of the moving parts finely.

you guys dont know how to tell if the car is running syn or dino oil?! .... cant be serious! its so easy. :smile:

before you scroll down to the answer, think really really hard! its pretty easy answer, you guys all can get this one!. no brainer. :tongue:

use the magic 8 ball.:biggrin:

Don't worry about what oil was in there, just use your favorite oil and stick with it. When I buy a used car I change oil immediately and then again at about 1000 miles as a flush, to be sure all of the old oil and dirt is completely removed, then at 2k miles thereafter.

I,ve heard that you shoudn't go back to regular oil if synthetic was used.
g4064.jpg

I recently spoke with a mobil rep. on synthetic oil just for kicks since he was visiting our shop. He's been a rep. for years. Synthetic oil is not slicker than conventional oils and yes you can switch back and fourth without any issues. Synthetic oils do not break down like conventional oils do. You can run a good conventional oil in an NA car with 3000/5000 mile oil changes safely. Please remember this is coming from a rep. for mobil, not from me so no flaming please.

I recently spoke with a mobil rep. on synthetic oil just for kicks since he was visiting our shop. He's been a rep. for years. Synthetic oil is not slicker than conventional oils and yes you can switch back and fourth without any issues. Synthetic oils do not break down like conventional oils do. You can run a good conventional oil in an NA car with 3000/5000 mile oil changes safely. Please remember this is coming from a rep. for mobil, not from me so no flaming please.

i agree with his statements. :smile:

with a NA car, i would go synthetic regardless for extra protection. you can do extended oil change intervals but iwth out oil testing i would still keep oil change at 3000 mile

oil is always cheaper than an engine. I run synthetic ( royal purple ) in all my cars including my truck, they all love me for it.

with a turbo car on the other hand you can not run extended intervals since turbos destory anything synthetic or otherwise.

did a test with my supra with a 5000 mile extended oill change on the Mobil 1 extended performance. i wanted to see if their hype is factural first hand... the car hated me for 2 years after that.

seasons greetings and happy motoring

rob

I think most engine wear occurs during startup...synthetic just doesn't break down like regular oil. It does still get dirty, that is why I don't go for longer intervals than 5K.

yes engine wear from the oil not breaking down as fast.

also the film strengh in synthetic oil is stronger.

where dino oil brakes down under heat and film strenth is compromised allowing bearing on bearing/metal contact, the synthetic will give you that extra safety margin. :smile:

I think most engine wear occurs during startup...synthetic just doesn't break down like regular oil. It does still get dirty, that is why I don't go for longer intervals than 5K.

yep. start up is bad. just keep your NSX running over night and it'll be warmed up and ready to haul first thing in the morning. :tongue:

What's up...I just recently purchased a 2003 NSX from a porsche dealer and I am not sure if the car has synthetic oil or regular oil...How can I tell because I,ve heard that you shouldn't go back to regular oil if synthetic was used.

i had the exact same problem, so I had my wife come out and look at the oil. It was synthetic.. she was right...
she can always spot a fake diamond, so I figured.. heck.. if she can tell if a old junk of coal is fake, why not oil..

My vote is always for synthetic.. film strength, lack of acidity etc... cheap insurance.

I was wondering, if the NSX is not a daily driver and very few miles are put on the NSX. Should engine oil be changed at a certain time interval, say every 3 months or 6 months?? or sticking with the mileage is good enough not worrying about how long the oil is in the engine? :redface:

They say every 3 months or 3,000 miles for regular motor oil, but if there isn't any dramatic climate change and if your NSX is a garaged, it is fine to not worry about the time interval as much, meaning if it takes longer then 3 months before your 3,000 miles are up, the motor oil should still be fine, they just want you to come back there so you can spend more money on time. Just make sure to check the oil level after 3 months. :)

Well, I believe every new porsche sold now all comes with Mobil 1 synthetic especially with a recommended oil change interval of 25,000 miles. So I'm guessing it's probably the only oil they'd have sitting around the shop.

I've heard of myths about totally changing from reg oil to synthetic. Such as, after so many years if you use synthetic oil the seals my leak or something like that? I understand that some of the newer cars such as the Nissan 350Z clearly states not to use synthetic oil due to potential engine problems. That was true.

Anyway I use synthetic blend.

You can't tell by looking at the Oil on the Dip stick...I would suggest that you start using Mobile 1 Synthetic at your next oil change.

Most folks use Mobile 1

Bram

I agree. I can feel the difference after changing from regular to Mibile 1 synthetic. Never turned back ever since ...

I was wondering, if the NSX is not a daily driver and very few miles are put on the NSX. Should engine oil be changed at a certain time interval, say every 3 months or 6 months?? or sticking with the mileage is good enough not worrying about how long the oil is in the engine? :redface:

A lot of us probably throw away perfectly good oil due to the time interval. I only put 5-6k a year on my car and change the oil twice. I use Mobile 1 also.

Back