• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tablet/PC for the NSX - help me choose

The preferred way for homemade accessories to communicate with iDevices has been an ad hoc wifi network. I know many of the OBD readers that people use to make track day video overlays stream data over wifi.

This sounds interesting...can you post any links discussing this?

Thank you everyone! I will reach out to SR5guy.

The only issue with porting to any of the mobile devices is the datastream foundry. The stream is a serial connection and neither iOS or Android will allow anything serial related without some serious trickery through the headphone jack, another way around this is to use serial protocol over bluetooth 2.1 and 3.0 however it is too slow and lags nearly a quarter of a second in comparison to straight serial connections.

Cracking the obd1 code base is fairly well documented, the board simply needs a few resistors removed if datalogging is all you are after...decoding variables is farilty straight forward and values exceeding 256 bytes requires a standard convention algorithm called big endian little endian.

AEM uses a CAN interface which is far more intuitive and actually more linear. The obd1 streams are very difficult to read via the naked eye at the inbound speed if a weighted average is not taken, so a considerable processor is mandatory to actually make use of the data.

I would offer a full plug and play solution that would mount directed into the OEM nav housing, the solution will also have the ability record the AEM datalogging file type assuming they didn't do anything insane to their file architecture. HVAC control will also be an option and its worth noting the solution will require pretty good hardware...I'm really looking forward to the next gen of Win8 hardware on the horizon as the boot time of current hardware is what ruins the feasability of the solution currently.

I will open source the HVAC control codebase as it is fairly straight forward voltage switch logic.

I'm afraid you're terribly misinformed on the "OBD1 Codebase". The NSX and Legend ECU are much, much different than the Honda OBD1 protocols used in the civic and integra ECUs. The resistors and switches you are speaking of are internal to the chip and required thousands of hours of research to find, identify and convert.

Also, I have bluetooth serial stream working perfectly, and lag time is only about 150ms. It required an internal change in the ECU's baud rate since the stock baudrate is non-standard and isn't supported by any Bluetooth modules I've found yet.

-Matt

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this myself , although I have seen the Devium Dash Kickstarter project centered around Iphones.

My SAMSUNG Note is much larger and piqued my interest as a target but there's nothing out there yet for it.

What I do like is that since I can share my unlimited Internet on my cellphone it's an idea for in car use by a dash device. no current plans though.

RYU,

I was at the microsoft store today and thought of this thread. I think the new Windows RT tablets are perfect for what you're trying to do.

http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/vivoTab.htm

They have a USB host port and I would imagine it a lot easier to convince AEM to port their tuning software to Windows RT (since it already runs on other flavors of Windows) than it is to convince them to port it to iOS or what not.

Just a thought. Maybe AEM are even planning on doing this already - someone in the know should ask them.

I was in best buy earlier and brought my nav pod and an asus tablet for fine even with the side charger on there. I'm thinking of something like this or the nexus 7.

I don't have a stock nav pod though so I think I have 1/2 more clearance or so. Longways an iPad mini fits but gets slightly cut off height wise.

I don't have a stock nav pod though so I think I have 1/2 more clearance or so. Longways an iPad mini fits but gets slightly cut off height wise.

Interesting, is yours custom?

Someone could surely start from the design of the factory navpod and make a slightly different one that fit a lot of popular tablets. If I had a big enough 3D printer...

One really nice feature to have with a tablet or iPad in a custom navpod would be the camera. With a hole or something. In the back. Perfect track cam.

Interesting, is yours custom?

Someone could surely start from the design of the factory navpod and make a slightly different one that fit a lot of popular tablets. If I had a big enough 3D printer...

I have a full carbon one made by tomaske. Depending on time I may try and make some that fit a iPad mini and also ac vents to match. I'm deep in work right now so this wouldn't be for a few months. Plus I'd have to slightly modify the unit.

One really nice feature to have with a tablet or iPad in a custom navpod would be the camera. With a hole or something. In the back. Perfect track cam.

I don't think the camera idea would work unless you made some serious changes. These being
1. The angle of the tablet "you could change the angle of the pod in general, or make some kind of bracket that lets you change the angle but that creates a different set of clearances and problems"
2. Cut a hole or design it big enough so that nothing gets in the cameras way.
3. Make it look good with either a flat back portion, or some kind of sliding back door, or maybe a piece of glass as the backing or portion "just thinking out loud right now".

Either way, when I decide to do this you'll be the first to know Dave.

I think the ideal setup is actually two iPad minis, not one. For proper radio and music use and placement, it needs to be where the radio is. For camera, nav, and gauge use, it is better where the navpod is. Having one dedicated for each task also opens up many more options and possibilities including having two displays showing two different things at once. It eliminates many issues as one can be Bluetooth, one can be running wifi (for example with PLX gauges the kiwi wifi and for audio Bluetooth). One unit can be displaying nav, another can display music. One can be doing radar detection display, the other can be surfing Facebook while doing 90. LOL

you get my drift.... Having two opens up MANY possibilities and they are very light and not terribly expensive. One can be 3G and one not.

I am just suggesting this so you guys think about the dual pad option versus single.

Hmm, shouldn't your track cam be able to see the position of your hands on the wheel and the shifter as well? My favorite track videos show what the driver is doing, not just the road ahead.

Anyway I reserved a mini online last night so hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in store today.

RYU,

I was at the microsoft store today and thought of this thread. I think the new Windows RT tablets are perfect for what you're trying to do.

http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/vivoTab.htm

They have a USB host port and I would imagine it a lot easier to convince AEM to port their tuning software to Windows RT (since it already runs on other flavors of Windows) than it is to convince them to port it to iOS or what not.

Just a thought. Maybe AEM are even planning on doing this already - someone in the know should ask them.
I agree. I'll start knocking on some doors. Thanks for the heads up. My center console has had a gaping hole for too long now.

I wish I could tag people here on prime. @DDozier would be an interesting resource for this info as well.

Last edited:
I agree. I'll start knocking on some doors. Thanks for the heads up. My center console has had a gaping hole for too long now.

Sure. Hopefully when they were writing their new AEM Infinity software they took the opportunity to port all their code over to the latest developer tools. If so, building for WinRT will be a snap.

what about a samsung Q1 and/or Q1 ultra? I have both and they have everything you mention but are older tablet pcs. I have successfully mounted both XP and Ubuntu (Linux) on the Q1U....
very interesting thread btw

what about a samsung Q1 and/or Q1 ultra? I have both and they have everything you mention but are older tablet pcs. I have successfully mounted both XP and Ubuntu (Linux) on the Q1U....
very interesting thread btw

The keyboard is very strange on that.

So I'm leaning toward a nexus 7 setup with an Audison bitone unit. I'll make a custom center console to mount the bitone controller.

The keyboard is very strange on that.

So I'm leaning toward a nexus 7 setup with an Audison bitone unit. I'll make a custom center console to mount the bitone controller.

does anyone have any recent quotes for the hardware involved in such a project (minus tablet).
my head unit is bad and amps are not good either. I'm looking at ~$400 (briank + william's) just to get things repaired/refurbished and will be back at square one... i already have a tablet and looking to buy the electronics to interface the tablet with a car stereo whose speaker will acceptably fit the NSX original locations.
here are my options as i understand them
a) tablet > sound processor > amp > speakers
b) tablet > bluetooth > head unit > speakers
c) tablet > FM transmittor > head unit > speakers
d) ...... ?

Last edited:
does anyone have any recent quotes for the hardware involved in such a project (minus tablet).
my head unit is bad and amps are not good either. I'm looking at ~$400 (briank + william's) just to get things repaired/refurbished and will be back at square one... i already have a tablet and looking to buy the electronics to interface the tablet with a car stereo whose speaker will acceptably fit the NSX original locations.
d) ...... ?

There's a million different set-ups. I've changed my system countless times and I'm still changing it.

It's basically going to come down too how much you want to change your center console. What I'm going to tell you next will be more than what BrianK is going to charge so just keep that in mind as well.

I'd personally take all the stock ones out and tap into the existing wiring, build baffles, buy or build a sub box, and stick an amp behind the passenger seat. At this point you have the basis to a personalized system. Now to figure out what source you want the brain to be. You have a few options like you mentioned. I'd go with the tablet to sound processor or tablet to bluetooth to sound processor. There's really no need for a headunit anymore in my opinion. This is the line output driver I use. I originally had my Iphone plugged directly in from the headphone jack but it sounded not good so I added this unit and it was a night and day difference. http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS74...354005815&sr=8-16&keywords=line+output+driver

Depending on how far you'll go with the center console there's a few ways you can do things...

d) ...... ?
Like sduffass mentioned there are several ways you can go about this. The technology is mature enough to accomodate a mobile tablet on the audio and video side. However, we are virtually still at the cusp of accommodating for gauges, OBDII, and/or engine management interfaces using the same tablet interface.

So with some research from your end.. if you simply want to do Audio and possibly even video.. you will have several combo options.

There's a million different set-ups. I've changed my system countless times and I'm still changing it.

It's basically going to come down too how much you want to change your center console. What I'm going to tell you next will be more than what BrianK is going to charge so just keep that in mind as well.

I'd personally take all the stock ones out and tap into the existing wiring, build baffles, buy or build a sub box, and stick an amp behind the passenger seat. At this point you have the basis to a personalized system. Now to figure out what source you want the brain to be. You have a few options like you mentioned. I'd go with the tablet to sound processor or tablet to bluetooth to sound processor. There's really no need for a headunit anymore in my opinion. This is the line output driver I use. I originally had my Iphone plugged directly in from the headphone jack but it sounded not good so I added this unit and it was a night and day difference. http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-EQS74...354005815&sr=8-16&keywords=line+output+driver

Depending on how far you'll go with the center console there's a few ways you can do things...

the unit you referring to is on sale for $50... sounds like a great deal. if i understood you correctly i woukd have tablet > line output driver > amp > speakers, right?

to everyone: what kind of speakers would you recommend?
amp? im trying to stay reasonable $$$ wise here.
what kind of subwoofer youd recommend?
i have an idea about the install i will share with the group here once i have the above parts on hand, measurements and a plan ;P

the unit you referring to is on sale for $50... sounds like a great deal. if i understood you correctly i woukd have tablet > line output driver > amp > speakers, right?

to everyone: what kind of speakers would you recommend?
amp? im trying to stay reasonable $$$ wise here.
what kind of subwoofer youd recommend?
i have an idea about the install i will share with the group here once i have the above parts on hand, measurements and a plan ;P

I did my main components about 5 years ago now so I'm sure there are better items but I used

-Polk speaks with tweeters "forget what model"
-Elemental Design slim sub
-JL 300/4 bridgeable amp

You'll also need
-Speaker baffles for door
-Someplace to mount the tweeters "I just used a L bracket and mounted it inside the air vents and ran the cord in with small holes"
-Sub box for whatever box you want to run Z man tool makes a good one I hear but I made my own
-Misc wiring

But yes, the unit I linked has been on sale a while now. It's an awesome piece I think. But yes, you run things this way

-Source "ANYTHING with a 3.5 headphone jack, laptop, ipod, iphone, android phone, cassette player, anything as long as it goes into the line output driver it'll sound good". If you run a regular headunit or something that puts out "amps" then you don't need it. For example you really don't need it if you run a regular single or double din headunit
-Line output driver. I like the one I linked because it controls things like an equalizer as well
-Amp
-Speakers/Sub

thanks for your reply. im a bit confused sice the equalizer is 6 ch and the amp is only 4 ch... could you share the detaiks of your connections?

thanks for your reply. im a bit confused sice the equalizer is 6 ch and the amp is only 4 ch... could you share the detaiks of your connections?

Sure. Just because it says 6 channel doesn't mean you have to use all 6.

Basically for the amp I bridge 2 channels and I forget exactly the wiring setup I use with the linked driver but I can take a picture next time I have it out and things.

It's been about a year since I've started this and I may have finally found a tablet that *might* work. It's the right size and apparently this runs on Windows 7, not Windows RT (which doesn't run AEM Software natively). With Windows 7 I can run my Zietronix logging software and AEM tuning software... as well as a host of other A/V applications like Pandora, etc...

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/c/a/News/Viliv-X70-2011-version/
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HhpMKe3jjiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

One question: AEM and Zietronix runs off a simulated Serial Port connection thru the USB cable. Do you guys think Windows tablet like these will be able to map the hardware correctly?

Back