• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Team Hudak Racing 2009 Race Season Begins- Official Groupie Thread

Kyle: Keep up the good work! Some of the best engineers have driving backgrounds - lets them relate to the driver even better. Glad to hear you had fun in his rocket-ship :)

Thanks Billy! It sure is a change from the Spec Miata I am used to driving! Proud to also announce that I am the 2009 North West Region SCCA Spec Miata Champion :) I must be doing something right....

Last edited:
Great write-up Kyle. Your dad said that you had been smiling for weeks after our test & tune day! What do you think? At this rate, next year I'll be guarding my ego against middle schoolers fresh out of drivers-ed class. j/k :biggrin::biggrin:

Ok, Ok.... I suppose it is time to catch-up on my own blogging… and to do that we need to go back to the future and publish my previous blog I was sitting on for two months.............. :redface:

August 29-30, 2009

Chapter XII – The super secret race- the untold out-of-region story of Bremerton Raceway.

Straight to the point

Make no mistake. Racing my friends, is a war. In a war, there are casualties, and there can be only one victor.

My veteran strategy of sticking to my guns and running strong, reliable, and consistent all year was now waning to Cam’s fast and furious high octane kamikaze approach. It is now mid August and he hasn't blown his engine up, crashed, or caught on fire. Good, but not good (j/k).

With Cam running a solid 2-3 seconds average lap times faster, and given further modifications in the pipeline- race by race the points situation of taking a consistent 2<SUP>nd</SUP> was beginning to take its toll on our team 2 to 4 points at a time. The spread between 1<SUP>st</SUP> and 2<SUP>nd</SUP> in our unlimited class was growing. A points race developed, and as the year wore on every last finish was starting to count. Less frequently were we visiting each other's paddock space if you know what I am saying. :smile:

I was once taught that the bottom line is the bottom line. All I know is that as CEO- Team Hudak does not perspire for 2<SUP>nd</SUP>, it aspires for 1<SUP>st</SUP>. It was time for Team Hudak to get back to its results oriented roots: kicking terrestrial ass. With cautionary words from my engineering analysts and competition assessment team, we couldn’t rely on Cam’s power-plant or drive-train breaking to converge at the end of the season, nor guarantee us a championship.

New Strategy

It was time for a serious closed-door team meeting in front of a white board or lite-brite. We needed to talk about playing catch-up. Their had to be a easier/better way to even the score and get Team Hudak back in the running for the all important 2009 ITE Podunk Regional Championship!!

An idea prompted itself during our team meeting. Now, reflecting back to my first year of racing- one thing I never knew about was the concept of out-of-region points. I know to my own dismay, I first found out about this ass-kicking advantage at an awards banquet on the last day of the year. As Cam is a rookie, I knew chances were pretty good that he also never took the time to read the 2009 supplementary regulations addendum line by line either. LOL.

The rule book states:

ORRRC Section 28:

• Up to 2 (two) out-of-region SCCA regional races may be substituted for Oregon Region worst finishes. If 2 (two) races are submitted, 1 (one) race must be a Double Regional at Bremerton Raceway, held by Northwest Region either May 2-3, or Aug 29-30. The out-of-region races must have been run after the first Oregon Region regional race and before the last Oregon Region regional race. To claim an out-of-region race, the driver must submit a copy of the results for the claimed race, highlighting their name, class & finishing position to the Oregon Region Points Keeper. Any out-of-region race must be submitted prior to the last event of the Oregon Region. Disqualification, exclusion or similar steward action shall not be replaced with substitution.
• A previously claimed out-of-region race result may be substituted with a subsequent out-of-region race result. All requirements for claiming results for an out-of-region race apply.

In plain english: the idea herein being to appeal to driver greediness and ego, and in turn encourage competitors to attend said NWERS podunk event, which previously had lack-luster participation. :)

It worked. Team Hudak was secretly going to Bremerton Raceway in August for the Big Island of Hawaii Co-Sanctioned Double Regional, with the intent to finish 1<SUP>st</SUP> in both races and pick-up 40 much needed out-of-region substitution points. Assuming two wins, doing so would net us 158 points to Cameron’s 153 and get us back into the running for the Championship points race. With a strong finish at the last race, we could still have a shot. Depending on how the results are applied- the winner or loser could well come down to just 1 point.

The secret strategy evolves

Maybe some details. To pull this one off- Team Bennar can’t come and compete or even know about it, or it won’t give me the full points spread I need. But wait… that might not be as easy as it sounds. Seeing as how we are operating out of the same shop now….. how will I get my race car and trailer away for an entire weekend, without Cam suspecting something is up?

I put on my devious hat and mulled “winning” team strategies. Eddie's thought: would his truck even make it to Bremerton? I wonder, could I pay some prostitute on face-book to message him and wisk him away for a fun-filled weekend August 29-30? That would be a lot cheaper than running my car and he would thank me for that. Maybe just a viable cover story had to be devised that would work its way back to Cam second hand? What would a pro NASCAR team do? They are the masters of cheating. Build an 8/10ths scale NSX?

I kept it simple, and decided to use behavioral science as opposed to physics to our team’s advantage. LOL. Under the premise that I had to “look at my supercharger I had received” (which was technically true) I promptly made my car and transporter disappear for a full week; full-well knowing that my covert disinformation strategy would work its way back to Cam via some co-friends of questionable loyalty to our team.

To sure my bet up, I pulled out all the stops. I kept mum with everyone. I posted disinformation on NSXPRIME about my next race being in October (suspecting team Benner was following my blog here). I paid more, and did a walk-in for the event registration in case he was checking motorsportsreg.com – we even decided to modify our logistics and pull into Bremerton “under the cover of night” so that way no one could tip him off that my transporter had pulled in to this race event. Sounds like something Audi would do. Hehe...

We even had a back-up plan that turned my disadvantage into my advantage. See, the funny thing is, that during this entire period Cam’s car and trailer was parked in MY UNPAID PARKING SPOT at the shop, so even if he found out where I was that weekend… and decided to show up Sunday at the last minute to race… I had it covered. I left specific instructions to have Eddie not return Cameron’s cell phone calls so he couldn’t get his race car transporter out of the locked shop over the weekend. LOL. J/K :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Day 1 – Friday Practice

Bremerton Raceway is in fact the most podunk of tracks in podunk region. Yet it is here where racing legends are born (Umm... I just can't think of any right now).

It was an air-field for light air craft that was converted to a drag strip, and has since fallen into disrepair and hard times. Enjoyed by motorsports enthusiasts for decades, it is slated to become an aviation grave-yard in the future. The short course takes about a minute to complete, and is characterized by a single straight using a service road, and several barrels to create a course. The pavement is fairly rough, and sometimes deer venture on to the course which makes it exciting. Plus there is lots of hard things to hit. It was my first time on this configuration, as it is always a little different anyway.

<O:p
brem_track_map_small.gif

I ran two sessions to become familiar with the course, and there was not much to report, except that my car felt great!! The turn-in was awesome, and things were looking really good!! The weather was shaping up to be ideal for a down and dirty dog-fight!

Day 2 – Saturday Qualifying 1 & Race 1

I qualified 2<SUP>nd</SUP>, and was well prepared to win. I knew I was hitting my marks when my passenger side mirror finally hit the safety barrel! That is the line! When the green flag dropped, I took Val on the start and proceeded to lap my nearest competitors (some 944’s) by 1.75 laps on a 1.1 mile road course in just 30 minutes. Very ugly HPDE KillZ material!! See, this is exactly what you want in an out of region race: effortless victory!! +20 in the bag!

Val Kory later broke his driver’s side lower rear ball joint and came back on a flat bed. He was not able to find parts, and was now out of the running to take 2<SUP>nd</SUP> for the ITE Championship. Unfortunately, that also meant I didn't have anyone to race with. LOL

Day 2 – Sunday Practice

On the third lap some-how managed to flat spot, cord, and throw away $1400 in tires. Mainly the problem was the end of the service road is really falling apart now, and my stuck rebound knob would not allow me to soften up the front. My tire skipped on the harsh pavement seam and caught hard- just as I laid into the brakes at top speed. Shit, by the time I came off the damage was done. CRAP!!!

Day 2 – Sunday Qualifying 2

Instead of qualifying, I spent the hour finding the only tire place in town that had a hunter machine so I could mount new rubber. I was very lucky that Big-O tire was open on a Sunday!! Future note to self: inspect their valve stem work more throughly as a matter of life preservation.

Day 2 – Sunday Race 2

A wonderful race, 1st place finish, and another round of easy +20!! It was so nice to be anywhere else, and I can honestly say I had a great time!! I laid down my best times in the 57.6 second range, and I ran very consistent for the entire session. I picked-up every lost position, passed Jackson’s Speed World Challenge Touring Neon SRT-4 (which also later broke seeing as how it is built to last all of 45 minutes). After the race at impound, I had some new out-of-region faces inspecting my engine bay in the faster classes- a good sign!!

Update: Video snippet of the races: http://vimeo.com/6948611

Last edited:
October 2nd, 3rd 2009
The finale Race Weekend

This past weekend marked the final showdown at PIR. I showed up with my Bremerton results in hand and turned them in, giving me the needed points to stay in the running. Despite still being underdog, and having an unfavorable track configuration... I arrived in really good spirits to this event. The course configuration was straight-thru for the final event at PIR, and I felt like I had a fair shot- so long as I ran a perfect 30 minute race without a single mistake. Although a long shot coming out on top of the points race *could* in theory be done.

Shedding another .405 seconds off my prior best times via further aerodynamic/suspension tuning- the gap was finally narrowing. I was well prepared to give it my all at this event. My plan was simple: to kick ass by dolling out uncharacteristically consistent 1:17's like they were going out of style, as well as readying myself for some serious close quarters racing. I felt like that if I could get close and stay with Cameron (or if he let me in), I could stay out in front. Nothing could stop me now I thought. No one was getting by me in a braking zone again. I am invincible!! Gold Rangers- Circle of Power!!

Revised totals: Hudak 158 points, Bennar 153 points. Thus, assuming I could post a 1st place finish in either the main or sprint race instead of finishing 2nd, I could win the ITE championship or lose it by just 1 single point. After an entire year of dueling it out- the moment of truth has arrived. No one else in the class mattered.

It was just me and him. 2 races. 1 Point. ~1 second gap. Winner takes all.

Saturday Morning Practice

Having taken a much needed break since my last test & tune days, I needed practice and to shake the car down. I was concerned that I didn't have enough coffee, but otherwise felt good about my prospects. My NSX ran surprisingly strong out of the gate in the highly favorable conditions. For the first time in awhile, my predictive lap timer was all RED in every corner, which was a good sign that my times were still dropping at PIR as I adjusted to my revised chassis setup.

Sitting at impound, I got my first indication that my ducks were starting to stray. The steward came over to complain about 104dbA given cloud cover. Then the chief steward came over with a request for action sheet, asking to see my chase cam video. Uh oh. Apparently the T9 worker had dropped a yellow over the wall just as I was passing Val Kory but I completed the pass before T10. I would have to take a positional penalty during qualifying I was told.

Last day I had the car out, it had an undiagnosed shake on the last session. I intended to do all the due maintenance earlier, but was so busy I just didn't have the time this round. The problem was still very much there and would need to be dealt with immediately. I drill in, and find out that my driver’s side rear brake rotor had a loose hat. It was floating all right. Still, nothing Loctite can't fix. As my crew chief had to put some time in at his undisclosed day job, Kyle's dad was nice enough to lend me a hand.

Saturday Qualifying

I felt ready to hammer out an acceptable time so I could get well seated behind Cam given the impending penalty.

I was doing my final round of pre-flight checks, then things went south in a big way. As I was inspecting my under-tray, I noticed grease everywhere. I looked, and in dismay my passenger rear inner driveshaft boot had disintegrated, and I could see the axle bearings and a boot band dangling about. The grease was all over the cylinder block. Little shards of metal sat on my under-tray. Could this last 3 more laps I asked myself? Hmm. This is really bad.

After several frantic calls, Titanium Dave came to my rescue. He had a boot kit as well as a spare drive shaft at his pad. I could pick it up after he is finished with his bicycle event.

I thought: HOLY SWEET JESUS I HAVE NOW SEEN THE SPEED GOD AND HE IS WEARING SPANDEX!!! Dave saved my ass yet again. :tongue::tongue::tongue:

I threw qualifying, and started to disassemble the car.

Saturday, Evening

Unable to get my spindle nut off with tools on hand, I loaded the car back onto the trailer. I Drove back to the shop. I Unloaded the car at the shop. We had the nut off with an impact gun in minutes time. Then I took the passenger rear upper control arm off. Then the shock from the hub. Then the shaft dropped out. It was toast and needed a bit more than a boot kit. Not a quicky fix.

Back to Dave's which is like another hour to pick-up the full replacement part. Then back to the shop. It’s going to be a late one.

Saturday, Late Night

It is now nearing midnight, and I finally have the new driveshaft in and things buttoned back up. The passenger side is starting to sling grease too, but I am sure it can hold for an hour. I just have to load it on to the trailer, and find my keys.

It is now 1 AM. I have found my keys. I need sleep.

Sunday, Morning Sprint Race

Having thrown my position, I now get to start at the back. Whatever. No worries. I sit in the car. 5 Minute warning. 1 Minute warning. I feel the adrenaline pump into my veins. This is going to be good. I nail out an HPDE advanced/instructor group competitive time behind the pace car on my warm-up lap. I know right away that yes, this is going to be real good! I want him bad, but I know I have to pace myself! Don't be stupid. Patience young padawan.

I tuck up close for a good start. The green flag drops.

The car feels excellent!! Oh this is what I've needed all year. Why couldn't I have had this in April? This is the G Spot. I can do some serious damage with this setup. I feel the turn-in, oh it feels so good. Screw hp. No car excuses today!

I pace myself. But wait, half way along there is a yellow widebody Porsche race car in the way... that is not in my class.... racing me bumper to bumper. WTF!! Let me by. No, not cool. Not cool at all!! I reel him in, then I am all over him in the entry to all the corners. As I dual it out, Cam pulls a short gap on both of us. I give it my best to get around this Porsche that isn't even in my class for the entire sprint race. But it matters not.

NO NO NO NO NO NO

The checker drops and I am pounding on my steering wheel. Another 2nd in class for no good reason! I want a push to pass button! This PODUNK RACING SUCKS!! :mad::mad::mad:

I go up to the driver, there after. "Hi. I am like points away from winning my class championship and I had a great time racing with you, and any other time would have been great- but I really needed to get by seeing as how I am in ITE and you are in SPM". He assures me during the main race, he will let me by next time and not interfere with the race as he will still be gridding in front of me. He then packs up and leaves as he now has no one to race with due to the low event turn-out. :cool:

<<SHAKES HEAD>> Thinking: Today and had I gotten a point-by from the Yellow Porsche Race car (at 2200lbs and 300+ rwhp with 13" tires) I could have well at least had a shot for the running in the podunk points race... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Irony.... what is with this weekend??????? It can't get any worse.

Sunday afternoon, Main Race.

It has now all come down to this one race. Based on the sprint, I felt strong about having a shot. It is racing, it is not all about speed, and anything can happen. My sheet from yesterday shows me posting some seriously quick times. My try hard hat is on. I can win this I tell myself. The celestial bodies are perfectly aligned.

I approach Steve Archer, the event steward. I casually explain to him that there is only a few points between me and Cam for the championship and it is still up for grabs. I tell him he should probably let all the corner workers know before I use his race track. He laughs and says ok.

I stick my tow hook up Cam's exhaust tip on start (figuratively speaking of course). The green flag drops. I take the lead. I come into T1.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ok. WTF. Serious vibration during cornering. Serious vibration. I instantly know there is a real problem with re-entry after I come out of hyperspace on my space ship. I have a very good idea what the problem is. My wheel is loose!! Seriously like probably hand tight loose!! How the hell...

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

OMG. This isn't happening to me. This can't be happening to me. What do I do? Do the right thing and pit on the next lap? That's a sure way to lose. Ok, Ok... calm down John....

:mad::mad::mad::redface::redface:

I calm myself. Racers can do more with less. Let's just run the race despite the fact that the wheel might come off at anytime and I might die!! Maybe it will hold together?? I have ARP high strength wheel studs! That's the better, higher testosterone approach me thinks. Shit, they lose wheels on their Impalas and have boats behind their race cars all day long at Monroe Speedway and don't whine about it!!

For the next 15 minutes I give it my all to hold the lead on a loose wheel, with Cam on my tail. He is apparently trying to draft me to save fuel. With every lap, my car shaking more and more violently. The corner workers all looking at me in disbelief waiting for clean-up in aisle 12. In every straight-away & braking zone, I am waiting to see my front passenger wheel pass me by. Cam realizes my wheel is coming off the car. He falls back fearing damage. BTW- don't ask me how I did it, but yes- you can run a 1:18 flat at Portland with your front wheel loose and about to fly off!!! It's only a second a lap penalty tops. Take that HPDERS!!!

Finally, I felt it- it was about to give way. Forget hub-centric, this wheel was about to become no longer car-centric let alone earth bound. My mid-corner speeds plummet. Pushing it any longer would be an invitation to real disaster. It feels soo crooked now. AHHH. I don't even think I can make it to the hot pits. I am done. This is getting out of hand. Playtime is over. I don't have wheel tethers. I pull over and give up my lead. Cam drives right on by like he was on his way to a club lunch. My stomach sinks. Yeah. You can't be here and not look like a monkey screwing a sheep in a clown suite. LOL. :frown:

I sit, quiet. Conveniently, I come to final rest at the track-out of T7 of all places. Hmm. Interesting. Kind of a dangerous spot I opted for. :wink: Well, I guess they have to flat tow me in now!! I come in, and sure enough all 5 lugs are on their last threads on my front passenger side wheel. Don't ask questions, don't ask why. Don’t ask who. It just doesn't matter at this point. The damage is done. It’s racing- even for the pros stupid mistakes happen I guess.

My crew chief, picks up his lower jaw off the pavement- tightens them, and gets me back out on course. I rocket onto the front straight away through pre-grid, with impeccable timing as now Cam is soon behind then powers by- now a mere +8 laps ahead, as I try to warm up my tires. That’s ok, I can still do this. I give Cam the best race I can, because you never know maybe he will wreck, break, run-out-of-gas or otherwise DNF. It is not over until the checker is out.

I am all over him in the corners. I post my best time- a 1:17.1 and feel the force tell me that with more talent maybe high 1:16's are in my future. Still with a wiggle of my tale he pulls ahead, and in short order the checkered is out. What!?! No more laps? I'm not done here!! What about a hard-ship lap, or ten? Bennar takes his victory lap while I take 3rd thus losing the needed points. A devastating loss to Team Hudak Racing. Everyone wants to know what happened.

Reflections on this event

Team spokes person, John says: “I definitely left this race with a sense of unfinished business. If I would have lost for any other reason than loose lug nuts or some such non-sense- I would have shaken hands knowing that I got my ass beat in the points race on equal terms and I would even readily admit that I was just flat out out-driven at the final event if that is what people wanted to believe. See, now I just can't bring myself to do that. I get to think about having no closure for an entire off-season. Eight years of tracking/racing, and of all the times this mistake had to happen - it was today.” I feel sad that despite my best efforts to setup an epic end-of-season battle, things just didn't come together the way I had hoped they would. It is further a shame on the news that Team Bennar will not be returning to ITE for the 2010 championship due to budgetary concerns- so I can’t even get the chance to kick his ass again in the future. I was hoping to come back with 400rwhp next year and collect point-bys from all you bitches." j/k SIGH.

Lessons Learned

Ok, Ok, Ok..... on a serious note- despite losing an entire points race for the championship over a gallon of gas and some loose lug nuts, in the end its regional club racing and no one cares. The weekend to weekend results truly don't matter. 153 or 158, the points race doesn’t matter. All the forum BS doesn’t matter. What I have learned is that it is what you take away from regional club racing that matters the most (i.e. practice, racing experience, driving skill), and the cheesy trophies they give you are best used as tire stops for the trailer. After all, it is ITE, a practice class, not nationals, so who cares?

If you see the glass as half full as I do, then maybe I am the real winner anyway; because I felt like I setup myself to learn the most this season. Having the faster cornering but slower straight line car vs. the higher horsepower slower cornering car is a very real situation encountered everyday in motorsports, and it became a real learning advantage for me. The wide gap really pushed me all year to work on other career aspects that I otherwise wouldn't have by simply bolting on a supercharger- such as chassis setup, strategy, rule exploitation, race craft- and most importantly driving my car to its limits.

The end of a wonderful race season!!

For those of you that have supported me during 2009, thanks! It was a great fun-filled year and having made it out cleanly I couldn't have asked for a better time. Cam/Val, you were great to race with and stuck it out to the very end. You made a practice class into something more. Kyle, Dave, Eddie, Brian, SCCA, AR, FM, STMPO, Trackside, RLC, prime patrons, everyone saw the effort and made the difference here at one point or another on both sides of the fence!

I think if you look at the big picture, 2009 will probably be remembered as a strong year for the Acura NSX in amateur club motorsports. Between Billy/Ken doing their time-attacks, Shad/Kip locking up the Cali region and announcing their WC effort, and John/Kyle bringing hurt to the Podunk Pacific Northwest region foggies- it was the first year in a long time where our beloved vintage car got some real recognition for the awesome platform it is- dueling with far more powerful race cars.

If you see ITE as I do, then it is also nice to have finally established what it really takes to beat Team Hudak Racing: Unlimited Modifications :biggrin:

Some seriously bad-ass video forthcoming!!!

Last edited:
I had an awesome time this season as Team Engineer for Team Hudak Racing and plan on (provided John allows me to do so ;) ) next season to ensure we get the championship that was so kindly robbed from us this season thanks to some stupid hubcentric rings and a harbor-freight torque wrench ;)

For 2010, I will drive in the "Podunk" region SCCA Spec Miata series, with a goal of a top-5 in points at the end of the season. We have plenty of advertising space left on the car, so if you're looking to throw money in the toilet, be sure to let me know :) I also plan on working on the NSX since we JUST got into our groove.

Team Hudak Racing will come back hard next season (with a Snap-On torque wrench) and we shall become Podunk Region ITE Champions.

John tells a lovely tale but like in any literary work, there is an element of fiction. Lest anyone be confused, the championship was not "stolen" nor was it as close as would seem from the posts on this thread. The truth can be found if one chooses to find it in the posts -- the consistent 2 to 3 second advantage by the Subaru, the huge difference in points, the ridiculous amounts of money spent by Team Hudak on a body kit, etc., etc. The only reason the championship was "close" was because of John's self-described sneaky SOB move to get points from outside of the series. John - what you are writing lacks any sportsmanship.

PS - I am not associated with either team, but have watched the races at PIR during the season and felt the need to give a third party's account.

John tells a lovely tale but like in any literary work, there is an element of fiction. Lest anyone be confused, the championship was not "stolen" nor was it as close as would seem from the posts on this thread. The truth can be found if one chooses to find it in the posts -- the consistent 2 to 3 second advantage by the Subaru, the huge difference in points, the ridiculous amounts of money spent by Team Hudak on a body kit, etc., etc.

That was a real jack-ass post. So to be clear, what you are stating is that the truth is that I really just got completely "ran over" by a far higher hp AWD car, and it wasn't really close at all- hell I never stood a chance at all this year. That's real sportsman like. :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing that one up for our team and the greater forum. Too bad you didn't post sooner, you could have saved our team a lot of money, if only we had just stayed at home and watched TV all those weekends instead of coming out to give you someone to even drive with in a three person practice class.

The only reason the championship was "close" was because of John's self-described sneaky SOB move to get points from outside of the series.

Nice. A little angst over points here because someone didn't read the damn rule book?

FYI- half the people that showed up at Bremerton (including Val) were there for the exact same reason- so it was not just me. Collecting out-of-region points to substitute for worst finishes is perfectly within the rule book. People have driven as far as Reno Nevada and Wisconsin to get easy extra points so they can win National championships. It is done every year by thousands of racers. Every serious PNW competitor in Spec Miata in the last few years has collected out of region points. Our team simply dealt with the cards that were handed to us, and recognized that it is not all about speed. No shame.

John - what you are writing lacks any sportsmanship.

You want to lecture me on sportsmanship in regional ITE? Are you @#$% kidding me? :mad:

You seriously want to turn the end of a good season into a forum pissing match? Fine. Then what is? How about qualifying .5 seconds ahead and losing, then still running out and blowing a crap ton of daddies money at Surgeline? How about stating after Rose Cup that if I installed a super-charger to catch-up they would just bolt-on a bigger turbo and go widebody too? How about when I ran out of gas standing around the hot pit wall having a bunch of immature stupid teenagers pointing and laughing at me? How about intentionally letting me in, then drafting me to save gas, then having someone throw a hand signal to power-by me on the last laps? Do I really need go on here? What kind of podunk racing is that?

Let's get something straight here. I am fine with the result, because coming in 2nd instead of 1st in my class for the points race had nothing to do with driver. Further, I know I could have easily opened my wallet and pulled a Flugie- bolted a SC on, put my bigger motor in, fresh tires at every race- and came out and flat out made things very ugly. I had all the gear and money here to do it. Shit, it is unlimited- I could have even rented a faster race car for the last weekend. But you know what- I didn't. I recognized it was ITE and like pissing in the wind. I took the high road because I decided early on that I wanted to run my effort better than that, and take more away from my year than HPDE KillZ.

So- don't lecture me on sportsmanship this season in an unlimited class, when I am fighting a stacked battle, and where my car isn't even capable of posting a 1:15 in it's wildest dreams with *any* driver behind the wheel. :mad:

PS - I am not associated with either team, but have watched the races at PIR during the season and felt the need to give a third party's account.

My ass. Of course, of course... I'll tell you what. I think if anyone needs a third party account they can just watch the video themselves or read about the results in the news [which are published right next to Woman's Volleyball scores]. If anything, the only thing your post did was go to re-affirm to everyone the immature teenage mantality (faster ride dude shit-talking) that up until this point they probably only suspected. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Chasecam video from the sprint race is uploaded!! It looks like a Battle of the widebodies!! Definitely another CL65Captain Production!!

Yes, well- despite not being in my class... and the timing being god aweful... after patiently reeling him in... I actually had a fantastic time going fender to fender during the last half of the sprint; trying to find my way around Robert's SPM Yellow Monster Widebody Porsche race car.

I'll say this: boy the Gerber baby beast look intimidating from my front row seat!! I look forward to seeing some more fender to fender action next season here. Shit, I almost blew my fun fuse on this session!! :smile::smile::smile:

http://www.vimeo.com/6969561

If either of you two "teams' : Hudak and Benner have problems please feel free to take them offline.

Demeaning one another in a subtle fashion online or plain outright is tarnishing both of your good performance this season.

Why don't both of you two keep to thanking your friends, family and sponsors and thank the other for putting on a good show and leave it at that?

A little bit of professionalism is in order here....after all, you know what they say about arguing on the internet.

Last edited:
If either of you two "teams' : Hudak and Benner have problems please feel free to take them offline.

Demeaning one another in a subtle fashion online or plain outright is tarnishing both of your good performance this season.

Why don't both of you two keep to thanking your friends, family and sponsors and thank the other for putting on a good show and leave it at that?

A little bit of professionalism is in order here....after all, you know what they say about arguing on the internet.

I walked over to their pit area and thanked Cameron for a great year and shook his hand. Their was a perfectly healthy thread going here with all of the fore-mentioned elements before the peanut gallery arrived. If their is this much contention into my loss, then one can only imagine how long this thread would have been had I won. :eek: :cool:

Whatever. Clearly this is why race tracks were invented. It is the only safe place they can put any of us. :wink: :biggrin:

Well Good Lord. It is unfortunate that i have to join this forumn under these circumstances, but I must clarify that RedPDX is in no way affiliated with Gremlin Racing (alternatively known as Team Benner Racing, errr Bennar racing) or its sponsors. I refuse to engage in this display of childness, and, as EDO points out, let our great year of racing conduct, class, and sportsmanship be eroded by an internet pissing match. John I've said it in all of my posts over on the NASIOC, as well as Team Gremlin's FB page that you've been a great competitor and have thanked you for contributing to my first great season. Anyways, lets leave things at that and keep it clean and classy.

cam

Last edited:
Well Good Lord. It is unfortunate that i have to join this forumn under these circumstances, but I must clarify that RedPDX is in no way affiliated with Gremlin Racing (alternatively known as Team Benner Racing, errr Bennar racing) or its sponsors. I refuse to engage in this display of childness, and, as EDO points out, let our great year of racing conduct, class, and sportsmanship be eroded by an internet pissing match.

John I've said it in all of my posts over on the NASIOC, as well as Team Gremlin's FB page that you've been a great competitor and have thanked you for contributing to my first great season. Anyways, lets leave things at that and keep it clean and classy.

cam

Hi Cam,

Thanks for clearing up that this jackass wasn't you or one of yours. The paddock let alone inner circle isn't that big, I am sure it won't take long to identify who the ignorant "anonymous third party" is that clearly sought to instigate some kind of pissing match here. Unless it is on a keyboard, he clearly doesn't know jack about racing let alone have all the facts. I am sure you can appreciate me and Kyle's aggravation here given the insinuation that we are somehow being misleading about our results and un-sportsman-like.

Regardless, congrats on the win and finishing your rookie season cleanly. I look forward to running events with you in the future, and best of luck at the coming time attack.

Cheers,

John

Last edited:
Me too...I just needed to give redpdx a point by:confused:

Great read.

Congrats to you both (John@ & Scoobysnacks) for what sounds like a very tight, competitive, but good natured points-chase. It's been a fun read.

I really need to get a dang license....

Just wanted to peep in and say that John and I are beginning to gear up for next season and are looking to have some fun! Also considering the possibility of releasing our 4th HPDE Killz DVD, You Just Got Schooled By The Power Rangers.

Just wanted to peep in and say that John and I are beginning to gear up for next season and are looking to have some fun! Also considering the possibility of releasing our 4th HPDE Killz DVD, You Just Got Schooled By The Power Rangers.

I can confirm this announcement. We are going to get a jump on our 2010 ITE season by doing rigorous driver training during the off-season. So we will be starting our own indoor go-kart league.. unlimited of course.

Actually, shit we just get to use the 9hp go-karts while everyone else has to use the 5's this time. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Attachments

• vol5.jpg
    vol5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 51
Yes, we are really looking forward to some amazing stuff in the next few months to come. Anyone up for the Team Hudak Indoor Go-Karting ITE World Championships?

John's finally man enough to climb out his little office (chrome plated, Microsoft funded, nsx cockpit) and get into those karts?? :biggrin:

I know a few local nsx'ers would like to have a chance of challenging the real race car driver. :tongue:

Lets go to PGP together sometime now that you are in vacation from the 2010 race schedule. Yeah, can't afford going to portland for karting... talk about shoe string budget!

Great read.
Congrats to you both (John@ & Scoobysnacks) for what sounds like a very tight, competitive, but good natured points-chase.

I think points chases at the regional level are a good forcing function to increase participation, and just get people out to drive. However, as you can tell from my humorous race reports- it's all really nothing to take too seriously nor blow up into something way bigger than it really is.

ITE is just a run-what-you-bring practice class to screw around in, and like time attack has no substantive competition rules. Most use it as a second class to get extra seat time, and probably didn't even realize their was a race going on. What really counts is just having good, safe fun among friends and using the seat time to push your personal limits.

Great read.
It's been a fun read. I really need to get a dang license....

It would be great to see some more people from the nsx forums get their license and get involved!! Every last registration counts.

I think a lot of people worry about the expense & risk making the jump over from HPDE's or time trials.... but amateur club racing is really just what you and your friends make of it. Yes, it certainly requires a higher level of personal commitment. However, done well with grounded people... unlike pro motorsports which is far beyond most anyones means; it can certainly be had in ones life safely, affordably, and sustainably.

I know a few local nsx'ers would like to have a chance of challenging the real race car driver. :tongue:

Lets go to PGP together sometime now that you are in vacation from the 2010 race schedule. Yeah, can't afford going to portland for karting... talk about shoe string budget!

Great Ferrand, it sounds like everyone wants a piece of me lately!! Good sign. LOL. :tongue:

A couple of the P-Car guys here in the NW are putting something together this winter indoor as well. I'll drop you a line when I know more. :smile:

Last edited:
The final video from the main race is up. The final show-down between all that is good and right and all that is wrong and evil in the universe.

Now, when they tell you that you need to learn how to drive the wheels off your car, I think this is what they mean... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

http://www.vimeo.com/7078513

Back