• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tell me about the NSX

I bought/drove my new NSX home yesterday. It has exceeded my expectations and I am so excited! But because I came from Porsches and my affinity towards Ferrari, Lotus, Aston Martin, etc.... I find myself looking for some answers towards NSX's. I have a nicely modified 1991 model - super clean.

What can you tell me about them. How many were made totally from 1991 to 2005?? Do they all have titanium connecting rods? Any other interesting facts that I should know so I can rattle them off to people at car get togethers?? I wear size 11 or 11 1/2 shoes - the pedals are really tight for me, I can't raise/lower my gas foot without it catching on the brake pedal. I will have to find thinner shoes for it.

I appreciate the education, I've searched and read a lot here. But I have lots to learn. Does the trunk stay open? Mine doesn't, is this normal? Seems kind of heavy and I don't see how those struts will hold it up being that they are so close down low on the lid.

Many thanks!
Jim

From what I understand, there were only 10 to 15 thousand in the U.S. from 1991 to 2005. And that's not counting how many have been wrecked or whatever, so there are less now. Pretty sure they all have titanium connecting rods. I wear size 13 shoes and the pedals are completly fine for me.

PhiAlpha44 said:
From what I understand, there were only 10 to 15 thousand in the U.S. from 1991 to 2005. And that's not counting how many have been wrecked or whatever, so there are less now. Pretty sure they all have titanium connecting rods. I wear size 13 shoes and the pedals are completly fine for me.

You need new struts for the trunk
It's an easy DIY. Make sure you get new ball joints too (the bit that bolts the strut on) It makes the job very easy. I wear size 14 shoes.

Regards,

Patrick

PhiAlpha44 said:

There were approximately 18,000 NSXs ever built about 9,000 of those are in the US the rest are all over the world.

Yes all NSXs except for rebuilds have titanium connecting rods. See some facts I have compiled below.

Best Regards,

Carl

• "NSX" was originally an acronym for "New Sportscar eXperimental". And yes, it was originally NS-X, hyphenated, on the pre-production prototypes.

• First-ever production super car from Japan

• Acura designed the NSX as a technological and performance showcase

• Designed to rival many of the sports cars when it was first introduced, without the reliability and comfort nuances common to many.

• Model years ran from 1991 to 2005

• Approximately 18,500 NSXs were ever made

• Hand-built

• First production car with an all aluminum body, chasis and suspension resulting in a weight savings of 500 lbs over an identical car made of steel

• Set the bar for sports cars of that error and in fact Gordon Murray of Mclaren fame purchased one to study it as a reference for some of the design when building the Mclaren F1.

• The car is still highly competitive on the track with today’s modern super cars even though it lacks the amount of horsepower common to today’s super cars. This can be heavily attributed to its rigid chassis design and its lightness.

• Utilizes titanium connecting rods

• Features a transversely mounted dual overhead cam V-6 engine equipped with Acura's breakthrough VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system and a variable volume induction system.

• Chassis was developed with the late great formula 1 race car driver Aryton Senna. Considered by some to be the best Formula One race car driver ever, including Schumacher and Andretti.

1991NSX said:
I bought/drove my new NSX home yesterday. It has exceeded my expectations and I am so excited! But because I came from Porsches and my affinity towards Ferrari, Lotus, Aston Martin, etc.... I find myself looking for some answers towards NSX's. I have a nicely modified 1991 model - super clean.

What can you tell me about them. How many were made totally from 1991 to 2005?? Do they all have titanium connecting rods? Any other interesting facts that I should know so I can rattle them off to people at car get togethers?? I wear size 11 or 11 1/2 shoes - the pedals are really tight for me, I can't raise/lower my gas foot without it catching on the brake pedal. I will have to find thinner shoes for it.

I appreciate the education, I've searched and read a lot here. But I have lots to learn. Does the trunk stay open? Mine doesn't, is this normal? Seems kind of heavy and I don't see how those struts will hold it up being that they are so close down low on the lid.

Many thanks!
Jim
Many owners in the NSX community have owned many other expensive sport cars. I am a fellow Porsche man but the NSX certainly is a step up for me in terms of performance, engineering sophistication, and build quality. The NSX excels in many aspects even though it might not be top of the class in certain subjects like straightline performance which is certainly not my priority. I am most attracted to the NSX for it being the best PRODUCT for my purpose at certain price range. You can learn a lot from reading the FAQ http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/faq.htm
You mentioned Porsche , Lotus, and Ferrari and decided on a 1991 NSX. Obviously you think it is the best car for you for your budget. One can always dream about cars like Enzo, Zonda, and Carrera GT like yours truly, but in reality we look at our budgets and weigh the ups and downs of the available choices and make the final decision. We go through the same process on almost every purchase in life. So what is the best all around sport car you can buy for $30+k? I think you made the best choice.
Steve

Can I buy those struts at the local parts store (Napa, Auto Zone)?? What's up with my pedals, My Nikes are size 11.5 (not wide) and I cannot lift my foot up and down on the gas pedal - it gets stuck between the brake pedal and the center wall. They look like stock for sure.

The FAQ is great, but some data was not updated or I couldn't find it. Now I know 18,500 cars made (est.) and about 9,000 came to the U.S.

I have a cold air intake installed on mine. I expected it to make a lot of induction noise. I don't think it does. It comes out of the engine and doesn't have a box or anything surrounding it. Don't know if that's the way it should be. Can't wait to talk to fellow NSX owners face to face.

1991NSX said:
Can I buy those struts at the local parts store (Napa, Auto Zone)?? What's up with my pedals, My Nikes are size 11.5 (not wide) and I cannot lift my foot up and down on the gas pedal - it gets stuck between the brake pedal and the center wall. They look like stock for sure.

The FAQ is great, but some data was not updated or I couldn't find it. Now I know 18,500 cars made (est.) and about 9,000 came to the U.S.

I have a cold air intake installed on mine. I expected it to make a lot of induction noise. I don't think it does. It comes out of the engine and doesn't have a box or anything surrounding it. Don't know if that's the way it should be. Can't wait to talk to fellow NSX owners face to face.

Are you positive you don't have aftermarket pedals? I wear size 11.5 Nikes and I have no problem at all.

1991NSX said:
Can I buy those struts at the local parts store (Napa, Auto Zone)??
No, but you can buy them at your local Acura dealer. You are fortunate because your local dealer, Acura of Brookfield (over on the west side), is one of the best and most experienced servicers of NSXs in the entire country. Go by there and introduce yourself to John Vasos, their Director of Service and Parts, who is as enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the NSX as any of us.

1991NSX said:
Can't wait to talk to fellow NSX owners face to face.
Well, many of us are getting together this weekend for the annual Spring Fling of the NSX Club of America. We can still squeeze you in if you'd like to come join us; we just had a cancellation, so you can just show up. Drive out or take the boat, and come join the fun! And make sure you join the NSX Club - next year, the club's annual gathering, NSXPO, will return to the Midwest (Ohio)!

Get some cowboy boots with point'ie toes.
The chicks will dig you!!! Not to be worn with shorts though.
Also, remember not to pick your nose when driving, for everyone is looking over at you and watching you. I know its a drag, but with practice you be able to resist the temptation.
Enjoy your car, and drive it everyday and everywhere. Its that type of vehicle.
Wave at other drivers, show the car off to kids that show interest, just have fun.
You can pick up new trunk and/or engine hatch struts from Acura or have yours rebuilt from a nice gentleman up here in Canada that owns strutwise.
I had all mine done and am very happy! Do a search for Strutwise here and away you go.
Enjoy
Trev

Welcome to NSXPrime! This is definitely THE place for NSX enthusiasts.

Th struts that hold up the trunk and the engine hatch suppose to hold them up. They usually go bad after 8 years or so, especially the ones on the engine hatch. They are not expensive, but you need to buy them from an Acura dealer.

Like above posts mentioned, there are tons of info on this site. And there are a lot of innovative-firsts exercised by Honda on the NSX. There are many beautiful engineering details like the forged aluminum suspensions and the titanium con rods.

Do you know what kind of aftermarket parts you have on your NSX? IMO, the stock NSX exhaust is just too quiet. It makes the car feels too refine without that edge of rawness I expect from my sports car. I have a Japanese exhaust, GruppeM, and the unit really transform the driving experience. Unlike F-cars exhausts choice which seems limited to Tubi, Fuchs, Capristo, and Kreissig, NSX have many nice aftermatkets exhausts. But you need to listen to them in person to really feel the sounds. Sound files dont do justice on these exhausts. If it were me, exhaust will be the first one to look at.

Happy driving!

If you want a mean induction sound, put your stock airbox back on and get the Downforce or Cantrell AIS. It will be the sound you are looking for.

Welcome to NSXPrime! This is definitely THE place for NSX enthusiasts.

Th struts that hold up the trunk and the engine hatch suppose to hold them up. They usually go bad after 8 years or so, especially the ones on the engine hatch. They are not expensive, but you need to buy them from an Acura dealer.

Like above posts mentioned, there are tons of info on this site. And there are a lot of innovative-firsts exercised by Honda on the NSX. There are many beautiful engineering details like the forged aluminum suspensions and the titanium con rods.

Do you know what kind of aftermarket parts you have on your NSX? IMO, the stock NSX exhaust is just too quiet. It makes the car feels too refine without that edge of rawness I expect from my sports car. I have a Japanese exhaust, GruppeM, and the unit really transform the driving experience. Unlike F-cars exhausts choice which seems limited to Tubi, Fuchs, Capristo, and Kreissig, NSX have many nice aftermatkets exhausts. But you need to listen to them in person to really feel the sounds. Sound files dont do justice on these exhausts. If it were me, exhaust will be the first one to look at.

Happy driving!

Don't pay dealer prices for the struts. Send them to Frank Irvine at Strutwise (see link below) and have them rebuilt. It takes a couple of weeks, is cheap and mine are still working great 3 years later.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69424&highlight=strutwise

Most of my size 12 wide shoes work fine, but I have one pair of New Balances that just don't fit b/t the pedals. Try other shoes and enjoy the car!

FeetFxr said:
Don't pay dealer prices for the struts.
By all accounts, Frank does good work. However, there are two downsides to having Frank refurbish them. First, the total cost, after adding shipping and currency conversion, isn't all that much less than buying them new at the dealer, especially if your dealer charges less than list price for them (or if you get them from one of the mail-order dealers who discount parts). Second, you have to live without the struts for at least a little while while they are in transit to Frank and back. Just a couple of points to consider...

Man, thanks - you guys are top notch! NSXTACY - I didn't know that, I thought it might be the opposite, I'm so glad to hear about NSX enthusiasm and them being one of the best there at Acura of Brookfield. Terrific info!

I will look again at the pedals, they sure look normal. I got the car late yesterday so I've had near no time to really check it out. I like to learn everything quickly though.

nsxtasy said:
By all accounts, Frank does good work. However, there are two downsides to having Frank refurbish them. First, the total cost, after adding shipping and currency conversion, isn't all that much less than buying them new at the dealer, especially if your dealer charges less than list price for them (or if you get them from one of the mail-order dealers who discount parts). Second, you have to live without the struts for at least a little while while they are in transit to Frank and back. Just a couple of points to consider...

I suggested a core exchange program to Frank and he is working on it so that should help eliminate any downtime.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69424

btw I never welcomed you to the community, so welcome!:biggrin:

Hey, welcome! Have fun with the hew ride. It doesn't disappoint:biggrin:

1991NSX said:

Just go to your local Acura dealership and get oem parts they are not too many $$$. Or get parts online at Acura Delray.

1991NSX said:

Many thanks!
Jim

This might also help:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...f=pd_bbs_1/103-3602023-2290264?_encoding=UTF8

Be sure to check out the Midwest forum for news on weekend drives, etc. We also have a contingent of NSX and non-NSX people that get together most Wednesdays during the summer at Kopp's on Bluemound in Brookfield.

Welcome to the club!!! If you ever want to talk NSX's I am just to the north.

later.

clr1024 said:
There were approximately 18,000 NSXs ever built about 9,000 of those are in the US the rest are all over the world.

QUOTE]

Do we know how many of these 9,000 are still on the road? How many have not been wrecked? How many have no salvaged title? Is there a register on this site?

I do not think so. I think this has been discussed before, and even though logically you would think many of these cars being babied and so well cared for would minimize the # clapped out and sent to the junk heap, we must also remember that the high repair costs of collision damage causes many of these to be totalled out for damages that would not be nearly as expensive on a steel based unibody. Of those totalled cars, there are a good number put back on the road though, which is a whole other subject.:frown:

Shumdit said:
I do not think so. I think this has been discussed before, and even though logically you would think many of these cars being babied and so well cared for would minimize the # clapped out and sent to the junk heap, we must also remember that the high repair costs of collision damage causes many of these to be totalled out for damages that would not be nearly as expensive on a steel based unibody. Of those totalled cars, there are a good number put back on the road though, which is a whole other subject.:frown:

It's sooooo SAD to see any NSX get wrecked. I just saw some photos of the manufacturing process of the car in another tread and it's simply amazing to see how the car is put together by hand.

Chajonlee said:
It's sooooo SAD to see any NSX get wrecked.

I think we all feel that way about a car we are enthusiastic about. I can imagine a Vette collector feels the same way when he sees a 63 that has been wrecked, and I have heard similar statements from Porsche and Ferrari owners.

Back