• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Temp Question

Good Afternoon,

Before someone jumps down my throat, I did a search and didnt find anything that might fit my issue. I noticed the other day and today that as I was driving my coolent temp dropped to almost nothing and as soon as I stopped it spiked back up to half. It would blow hot air and I mean hot air. But when you adjusted the temp control it got cold fast. So at 90 the temp is 90+ but at about 75 it felt more like 60. I checked the oil to make sure I didnt blow a head gasket or anything like that, and there was nothing that would indicate that type of damage. Meaning it wasnt frothy or like milky color. It also didn't smell sweet like radiator liquid does. So with the gasket being shot out of the question is this normal. I would say the temp outside today is about 65ish.

Thank you for your time and any imput is appreciated.

Dave

I'm having the same problem as well. My coolant temp takes extremely long to warm up to normal operating temperatures and when the heater is on, the temp almost drops to the very bottom. I noticed the last symptom last night while driving home, which was weird because I was already driving for 15 minutes before the needle went to the bottom.

Please let me know if changing the thermostat resolves your issue. That is the only thing I can think of other than a defective coolant temp sensor.

I changed the Thermistat out last night. Took it for a drive and it seemed to run good. I didnt notice any issues. I will keep an eye on it and if it starts to do it again. I will change the sensor. Either way it is one messy job.

I am glad that you discovered the issue.

It is sad that you feel compelled to write the below in your original message while amongst friends. I have had to do the same or be subjected to a lambasting by others who have nothing better to do! Sad!

"Before someone jumps down my throat, I did a search and didnt find anything that might fit my issue........."

I changed the Thermistat out last night. Took it for a drive and it seemed to run good. I didnt notice any issues. I will keep an eye on it and if it starts to do it again. I will change the sensor. Either way it is one messy job.

Thanks for letting us know changing the thermostat resolved your issue! I will try to get around to changing mine out this weekend. :smile:

Back