• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The 2017 Acura NSX reality check

Porsche steering feedback is crap ;) BMW M series not so much. I believe the best steering today is again in favor of Mazda (given the amount of praise they get for that)...

I have yet to personally drive the new NSX in real world conditions so I can only admire from afar and speculate with my own wits. If it ends up being poorly executed or unreliable then life goes on. I however will not rely on my peers' or reviewers' opinions to cloud my judgement.

then you have no judgement to be clouded, as you have no experience whatsoever with this car. you only have speculation at best, as you just stated. yet you still choose to ignore the judgement of those who have experienced the car (reviewer of this thread not included)...

I am not an old school Honda fan or linear thinker in the sense that I expect a "V8 MR" from Honda to compete with the likes of Ferrari. We all would like that, but it probably will never happen at this point in history. Hell, if the new NSX was twin turbo V8, half of the NSX fans would whine about it not being true to the original NA V6 of the NSX :rolleyes:

i disagree. i can't imagine anyone would mind a V8 in the back of the new NSX. if anyone would, please speak up now...

The particular reviewer in this thread is unprofessional in this video which is what most people are responding to, but he brought up the interesting point about the brake temp warnings.

he's a bit harsher than most, seems as though he's thoroughly unimpressed with it before he even gets in. i suppose his view is understandable. read the comments under the YouTube video and you'll see that many people feel the same, he's certainly not the only one. some very interesting comments both for and against.

just watched the review again in its entirety, and i can see where he's coming from. he believes that the car is too electronic, too technological, much in the same way that people criticise the GTR, as i would also do. that's a legitimate opinion. he used the word sterilise, and the phrase "engineering out the driver" in his review. other reviewers have also used the terms and phrases "lacking emotion", but he also had good things to say. his review is a bit more down than most, i will certainly agree, but it's not a complete departure, nor is it universally negative...

The GT label is interesting. Labels in general are very subjective however. So is the hybrid 918 a GT hypercar I suppose as it's only 100 lbs lighter than the much more affordable hybrid NSX...

the 918 is a Hypercar, because it makes 900 horsepower, and because it costs stupid money. that's the official unofficial meaning of a Hypercar. insane performance, insane cost...

- - - Updated - - -

ah yeah not tested the Cayman nor the GT3. I was thinking of the 911 Turbo's and such which are over assisted...

i knew you hadn't driven either when you made that statement...

then you have no judgement to be clouded, as you have no experience whatsoever with this car. you only have speculation at best, as you just stated. yet you still choose to ignore the judgement of those who have experienced the car (reviewer of this thread not included)...

i disagree. i can't imagine anyone would mind a V8 in the back of the new NSX. if anyone would, please speak up now...

he's a bit harsher than most, seems as though he's thoroughly unimpressed with it before he even gets in. i suppose his view is understandable. read the comments under the YouTube video and you'll see that many people feel the same, he's certainly not the only one. some very interesting comments both for and against.

just watched the review again in its entirety, and i can see where he's coming from. he believes that the car is too electronic, too technological, much in the same way that people criticise the GTR, as i would also do. that's a legitimate opinion. he used the word sterilise, and the phrase "engineering out the driver" in his review. other reviewers have also used the terms and phrases "lacking emotion", but he also had good things to say. his review is a bit more down than most, i will certainly agree, but it's not a complete departure, nor is it universally negative...

the 918 is a Hypercar, because it makes 900 horsepower, and because it costs stupid money. that's the official unofficial meaning of a Hypercar. insane performance, insane cost...

- - - Updated - - -

i knew you hadn't driven either when you made that statement...

You need to get that there burr out of your saddle cowboy

-So because the NSX is only a mere $155K and weighs 100 lbs more than the ~million dollar 918, it's not a supercar? Right. It's just a GT, like the R8 AWD and GTR that also weigh over 3600+ lbs and cost less. The majority of the modern supercars weight 3600+ lbs.

-So I should listen to other people's opinions over my very own on which car to like and buy? I should listen to a street Honda Fanboy (the reviewer in topic) cry about the new NSX even tho he's never driven other modern supercars as a baseline and explicitly said in his Youtube comments that he prefers his S2000 over the original NSX? Right....

-There's someone on here with a V8 in the back of their NSX in the build section - there ya go. Like I said, I would love to see a V8 MR Honda, but it's clearly not going to happen in the climate we are in now apparently.

You need to get that there burr out of your saddle cowboy

i'm not a cowboy, or a redneck. so i have no idea what that means...

-So because the NSX is only a mere $155K and weighs 100 lbs more than the ~million dollar 918, it's not a supercar? Right. It's just a GT, like the R8 AWD and GTR that also weigh over 3600+ lbs and cost less. The majority of the modern supercars weight 3600+ lbs.

-So I should listen to other people's opinions over my very own on which car to like and buy? I should listen to a street Honda Fanboy (the reviewer in topic) cry about the new NSX even tho he's never driven other modern supercars as a baseline and explicitly said in his Youtube comments that he prefers his S2000 over the original NSX? Right....

-There's someone on here with a V8 in the back of their NSX in the build section - there ya go. Like I said, I would love to see a V8 MR Honda, but it's clearly not going to happen in the climate we are in now apparently.

A: i didn't say the NSX wasn't a Supercar. i said the 918 was a Hypercar.

2: no, you'll like whatever you like, and that's great. but it seems silly to say a car you've never driven has amazing steering, when many others who have driven that car say it does not (THIS IS AN EXAMPLE).

and C: yep, i think everyone would have loved a V8 NSX...

it's AWD, it's heavy, has shit to no steering feel, it's a hybrid, is super digital instead of analog, and is more GT car than Supercar. it would seem to be the furthest thing from a direct descendant of the original NSX.

Are you sure your memory is not more convenient or forgetful? You constantly bash a car you have yet to drive, but then say I didn't say this or that...

More personal conflicts than true unbiased or even fair foresight.

Speaking of a 918, I believe it has a similar all wheel drive system to the NSX.
Has anyone driven the 918 and can comment on the steering feel?

the 918 shoots flames from the top mounted exhaust...take that nsx.....

I have heard that the steering feel and feedback from the 911SC from the late 70's is much more authentic than that of the 918. In other news, I feel that DOS 3.X is better than Windows 10, which masks the CLI too much to be a "real" OS.

"Feel" is subjective, folks. "Fast" is not. By all means, buy what you want for your own reasons, but it is pointless to debate tradition versus performance. Life is about constrained optimization-- something always has to give.

I have two vehicles with very different levels of steering feel. One is an EPS S2000 with quick steering and little feel but it's precise and responsive. The other is a hydraulic steering Tacoma S-Runner with a ton of feel but it's lose and has a slow ratio. The Tacoma is nice to drive for a truck but it shouldn't come as a surprise that the S2000 is way more engaging and fun to drive and for me the lack of steering feel isn't an issue whatsoever. So whenever I hear somebody criticize the new NSX's steering feel I discount that comment entirely as it's meaningless for me. I'm much more concerned about feedback through the suspension, and a vehicle's ability to respond to my inputs.

Are you sure your memory is not more convenient or forgetful? You constantly bash a car you have yet to drive, but then say I didn't say this or that...

More personal conflicts than true unbiased or even fair foresight.

once again, you're offering a rebuttal to the wrong question. so no need to continue...

as for the GT/Supercar debate. there are many that occupy both. any Aston Martin, any front drive Ferrari, etc.

I've seen the needle and the damage done....

FA, the new NSX could outlap the new 488 and beat it in every aspect except horsepower and you'd still say it's trash haha.

Thanks for providing me with entertainment tho during the downtimes; like when Honda has gone silent for whatever reason. I look forward to seeing real data and real reviews from people who actually have tried an assortment of cars and are unbiased for the most part.

Look at the guys shirt....Enuf said!

Speaking of a 918, I believe it has a similar all wheel drive system to the NSX.
Has anyone driven the 918 and can comment on the steering feel?

A friend of mine has a 918 chatted about it last week-end it only has two electric motors one center front driving the front wheels and one between the engine and gearbox like the NSX. This owner has owned just about every supercar over the past 10yrs joked about buying the new NSX then we went for a drive in his latest toy (pic below) said the 918 is still light yrs ahead of anything he has ever driven.

Attachments

• Lambo A SV.jpg
    Lambo A SV.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
All these editors sound like a broken record! Nothing has changed Go back and read the "first drive" articles from 1990, "No soul", "To easy to drive", "reliable super car but no excitement". Is all that came out of their mouths. Let face it unless the cars are comming from Porche, Ferrari, Lambo or McLaren, they will always get bashed not matter how good they are, funny Chris Harris has no idea what these editors are talking about or maybe their SKILL set is not up to par?

FA, the new NSX could outlap the new 488 and beat it in every aspect except horsepower and you'd still say it's trash haha.

Thanks for providing me with entertainment tho during the downtimes; like when Honda has gone silent for whatever reason. I look forward to seeing real data and real reviews from people who actually have tried an assortment of cars and are unbiased for the most part.

no, i wouldn't say that. never once have i said the NSX is rubbish. in fact, i went back through the entire NSX Prime website and looked at every post i have ever made (997) since joining in 1943 and counted up 73 instances of me saying the new NSX will be a lovely car. i have mentioned many compliments in its favour. in all actuality, i haven't bashed it in ages. i just don't always disagree with what the reviewers say, as you and some others do. so in reality you're just transferring your annoyance at the car's less-than-stellar reviews at me, even though i didn't write them. i don't mind, i find it quite funny how bent out of shape you fellas get at a car you don't even own yet. :wink:

and judging by the private e-mails i get of commendation, i'm not the only one...

All these editors sound like a broken record! Nothing has changed Go back and read the "first drive" articles from 1990, "No soul", "To easy to drive", "reliable super car but no excitement". Is all that came out of their mouths. Let face it unless the cars are comming from Porche, Ferrari, Lambo or McLaren, they will always get bashed not matter how good they are, funny Chris Harris has no idea what these editors are talking about or maybe their SKILL set is not up to par?

you're not wrong. quite honestly, most journo boys, even the senior editors, are not especially fast behind the wheel. i've seen quite a few in action and was fairly surprised at their average driving ability. however any driver of any ability can compare cars. they're all being driven at the same speed/level by the same guy, so the comparison is valid.

and their assessment is also valid. don't get mad at me, but anything Italian definitely possesses more soul than anything non-Italian. drive a Ferrari, or ride a Ducati. it may not be better or faster, but it will certainly have more soul. it's just the way it is...

Those front drive Ferraris are awesome aren't they?:confused:

No need to needle each other, we all know he meant front engined

no, i did mean front wheel drive Ferrari. have you guys not driven one? they're bloody fantastic! :biggrin: whoops!

p.s. N Spec, i drove that assortment of cars on Wednesday, and not very nicely. completely unbiased, and i'll bet you can't pick which one is my fav...

p.s.s. drifted the fark out of the Huracan in Corsa mode. boy is that fun, it's surprisingly rear endy past the limit...

I find it funny that people discredit this Honda Fanboy. If you had driven a ITR or a S2k and saw the smile it puts on your face. Honda built amazing cars that were affordable. Drivers cars that made you grin every time it hit Vtec. There are some people that are true Honda enthusiasts and the reviewer is one. You guys always jump on people saying they don't like this car because they can't afford it. The review has many valid points. With all the hype of this new Nsx it better be great.

Back