• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The (2nd) Official 2016 F1 thread

Since we don't have a dedicated MotoGP thread, I thought it'd be appropriate to post here since it's the only active thread about motorsports.

Moto2 rider, Luis Salom died today after he crashed during a practice session. RIP Luis.

attachment.php

http://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/36447935

Attachments

• PA1878730.0008.jpg
    PA1878730.0008.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 343
Re Salom's accident, the bike data suggests the following chain of events.

At the corner on which he fell, there is a bump in the bitumen on corner entry.

On a normal lap, the rider is off the brakes and turning in when the bike hits the bump. On the fateful lap, an out lap for Salom, he was on the brakes into the corner later, due to a lower terminal speed approaching that corner. When the bike hit the bump, with the brake still on, the front tyre washed out and dumped the rider onto the track.

On such minute detail bike racers live and die. RIP.

Am I the only one here who kindly wishes MotoGP should be on a separate thread? There are very few threads on the General Motorsports subforum and, with all due respect to MotoGP ardent fans, it would not hurt to start a separate one. Afterall, our thread is clearly F1 focused and titled.

Not too much rain I hope. I was there in 2011 when the race was rain-interrupted for a few hours ! But Jenson/Macca did win it then.....

43 down to 9 points difference in two races go Lewis! the season is getting better with a few teams closing the gap could be quite interesting before long with all these upgrades coming along

Agree. I think with 3/4 of the season still to be run, it is going to be interesting and closer.
F1 being a drivers championship first, I cant help but being increasingly sorry for Alonso. He is regarded by his peers and in F1 circles as one of the fastest and best but his legacy is getting close to beng irrepairably hurt by Honda. One and a half season into it and Honda is still failing miserably.

Agree. I think with 3/4 of the season still to be run, it is going to be interesting and closer.
F1 being a drivers championship first, I cant help but being increasingly sorry for Alonso. He is regarded by his peers and in F1 circles as one of the fastest and best but his legacy is getting close to beng irrepairably hurt by Honda. One and a half season into it and Honda is still failing miserably.

Hey, it could be worse, like last year!

yeah got to agree on Alonso everyone else has a bit more time for the other manufacturers to catch up, hopefully Honda pull it together for next year and the way they are going it looks good but will it be enough however the gap is closing for everyone so its not going to be as bad to watch next year as there could be 4 teams in the running not just one

I would like to see that more than anything else. Several teams duking it out at the front.

Yeah, Lewsi did a great Job, managing those Soft tires for 30 + laps around the Montreal circuit, the last ten laps the Left front tire was showing sign of graining, but He was still able to hold off Vettle with newer tires.

Merc does not have it all their way as it stand today, so it great that Ferrari and Red Bull are improving their package. It should be an exciting rest of the season with these teams improving.

Bram

Max is the man!!! The way he made his car as wide as the track to keep Cry Baby Nico behind. Amazing drive by Max. I was waiting for the excuses to fly come interview time with Rosberg, and he wasn't short on them either.

On the first lap I thought it was Lewis who hit Nico, but after the replays it showed Lewis having and holding the preferred line with no where for poor Nico to go.

What an amazing start by Vettel as well. Blew the doors right of the Mercs.

Tons of oil money (albeit reduced by the recent oil price collapse) and a Family dictatorship's ego trip as well as unprecedented promotion for the country. Bernie's appetite also helps....

that circuit is wack...how did the safety dogs(FIA) let a course with a stone wall in the middle of a turn (8) pass muster?:confused::eek:

The muster, came with BIG dollars...did you Guys notice the grand stand were half empty, and no one were on their balcony watching the race.
My prediction is that this race will br dropped next year or soon after.

Bram

i don't know if i'm just exhausted from EDC/Vegas, but damn, that looked like a boring race to me. Congrats to Checo for another podium finish. HA! LewHam, no win for you!

Best (and saddest) radio communication of the race:
Vettel: "Alonso is taking a bus tour of Baku"

Back