• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The AutoX is now a memory

John,

Just wondering if you would consider not stopping in between run groups. Each time we switched run groups, we lost at least 10 minutes to switch out the workers.

With 4 run groups, and 3 sessions, we spent at least 120 mins in between. That would be an extra session right there.

The only issue I can think of is the safty of the workers when they are changing shifts. If we can do it safely, we can squeeze in another session. How about if we just get an van and drive through it one round to drop off and pick up workers?

I just wanted more, more and more. Is it so wrong? :p

Cool NSX:

Don't let CDub off that easy!;)

I ran my best times of the day in the last session in the aftenoon:D :D :D I picked up over a second from the morning:eek: For me I think the Brownies gave me a "sugar rush" so I gave my car a "rush" !:p

What a BLAST! :D :D

Most people should have gotten faster in the afternoon since the first left-hander cone was moved two feet wider in the afternoon sessions. Add to that, with the experience gained from the course and getting used to the agressive driving, times should have improved.

As a former driving instructor, and this applies especially in autocross, I always give people this advice: know when fast is fast and fast is slow. Sometimes when we get confident about the course we start over-driving trying to squeeze that 1/10th of a second improvement but end up losing one and a half seconds instead. I know quite often I'm a victim of that. :p

Yes, yes, YES! Thanks again to all who helped make this event happen. Definitely looking forward to the next one...hopefully I'll be more competitive next time around.

Does anyone think we need to split the touring class into pre '97 and post '97 classes? What about moving the Zanardis out of the touring class?

ss_md said:
My car suffered minor cone damage, most of it buffed out when I got home. :D :D There are still some small scratches in the rr bumper

Anyone else notice abuse under the back bumper? When I started cleaning my NSX that evening, I noticed a lot of pitting on the lower panels behind the rear wheels. At first I thought it was stuff on the surface, but the clay bar failed to remove the roughness...and there's still a black mark (probably a cone burn) that didn't come off no matter how much I tried to clean it. Thankfully, there's no evidence where I smacked a cone with my driver-side door...I hit one hard when I spun!

I assume a lot of you are working overtime to clean your NSXs in time for next week's PV Concours d'Elegance. :D

And how do your tires look? Looks like I'll be getting new ones before NSXPO after all.

It was a fantastic course, but with horrible surface conditions (all of that loose dirt didn't inspire confidence). Hopefully no Hummers will be using the lot before our next autocross!

akira3d said:
Does anyone think we need to split the touring class into pre '97 and post '97 classes? What about moving the Zanardis out of the touring class?

YES! I think we need another class for NSXs with suspension mods, or the Zanardi NSXs. I think "Touring" class should contain the NSXs with any suspension modifications... but with the Zanardi edition NSXs included in that class. And then we should have a STOCK class. Where the car is completely stock with no suspension mods. (simple engine modifications such as exhaust and headers should still be in the stock class as the extra power those give are minimal at best.)

Anyone else notice abuse under the back bumper?

I'm afraid to look!!!

My tires are looking good. They are fairly brand new. With only miles from the NSXPrime Canyon Drive 3 and this AutoX.

akira3d said:
I assume a lot of you are working overtime to clean your NSXs in time for next week's PV Concours d'Elegance. :D
I only buffed out the two spots where I knew there was cone marks. Now I am afraid to look at the rest of the car. :( :( I am going to fully detail the car next Sat.

The track was very sandy especially for those of us in the first group. :(

akira3d said:
And how do your tires look? Looks like I'll be getting new ones before NSXPO after all.
The rolling surfaces of my tires don't look too bad. The side wall on the fr. rt. side has some definate scrubbing. :eek: Not sure if they are flat spotted, but there seemed to be a little more vibration on the ride home. :confused: Could just be my imagination though. :confused:

akira3d said:

I have to agree that a more reasonable classing of cars would be a big help in handicapping everyone's performance. But..... unlike your issues, I have to chuckle a bit after looking at what I have to work with. I have a 3.0 A/T that only pulls 210 at the rear wheels - at minimum a 20 to 30 HP deficit over a bone stock any year NSX. Now because I choose to run on race rubber (because I like the increased handling), I have to compete against Doug and Wayne and all the others with S/C and turbo set-ups in modified class. That's just beyond funny. I have no choice but to be in it for the fun 'cause I ain't winnin' nothin' no how.

I noticed a lot of pitting on the lower panels behind the rear wheels.

Hllywd Pk is a great lot in so many ways, but it does have an excess of pavement breakup. The surface is really old. When Solo2 used to run the lot we used leaf blowers and folks with push brooms to clean the course. And everyone tried like hell to not be in the first run group. You would see a lot of blue tape on cars. My paint was already trashed when I bought the car so I'm just building an excuse to repaint it at this point.:D

All that said, I'll do the next autox there or anywhere in a heartbeat and I don't care what class I'm in.

t

Too much fun!!!

Thanx to John and everyone else for putting together such a great event...That is one fun way to burn up some gas and tires...
Need more NSX only Auto X's though...Once every 6 months is not enough..FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!.....
The caravan from OC was also pretty cool. to see 18 or so NSX's behind you on the freeway puts a grin from ear to ear on your face
:D :D :D

It was also way cool meeting some more Prime members...It's nice to be able to put a face on the name...

I also rigged up my video camera on my dash and have some pretty cool footage of the course..as soon as I figure out how to upload it to the web, I'll post it....

Can't wait for the next one...

BTW, CDub, that black NSX we caught near HB gave me the thumbs up when I passed by...I gave him one back and motioned that there were 5 more behind me and his eyes about popped out of his head:eek:

Thank you, everyone!!! :D

I had a blast and so did my Mom. She did an amazing job coordinating all the logistics of using Hollywood Park as our venue. She is really happy that everyone had a great time and is already working with John to plan our next one. (Thank you John and company for all of your time and commitment to the club--it wouldn't be the same without you)

By the way . . . don't let the fact that my Mom didn't drive an NSX that day fool you! . . . She used to own a Ferrari Dino, a 280ZX and a 300ZX. Before I learned to drive a car she would tell me that if you can't drive a stick shift car, then you don't know how to drive! We'll definitely get her out there driving at the next event!! ;)

I am looking forward to checking out all that great video that was taken!!!

Liana

im a little late but i also want to thank everyone who put their time into setting that event. it was my first event meeting all you guys and i had blast.

it was nice meeting all of you although i don't remember all of your names.

and if we can put this thing together once a quarter or once every 4 months ill be more than happy to help out organize the event..

people i've met

loomup
91X
anytime
tantheman
poweredbyhonda
3 guys with zanardis
taj
Si
joel
silver one
akira
nimbus

and more but can't remember their screen name.

here are my times on my 91

first run = 54 sec
best = 48.2

give me couple more months with my car guys and ill be taking a throphy home with me.

competition was great. thanks again

Where are the results? I'd love to know how close I came to the trophy winners....

But..... unlike your issues, I have to chuckle a bit after looking at what I have to work with

Actually, I didn't mean to suggest that only the touring class should be divided. :p

Under SCCA rule the Zanardi is classified the same as a regular NSX. So there can not be a huge difference between the cars. Autocross and road course are very driver dependent. I am sure all the Zanardi's there that day did not finish 1,2 and 3. Also others have coil over suspension, race sway bars, etc. which is alot better than Zanardi's suspension.

I have known Nimbus for years and have seen him go to a new road course (he has never been there before) in a time trial event in street tires and run the fastest time of the day. I also have seen him won the SCCA regional autocross championship in his first year autocross and in the 2nd year, he pretty much won every event. I have seen his street legal NSX got kick out of GT class time trials since he was beating a ZR-1 which happens to be time trial coordinator.

akira3d said:

i think what people are complainin a little is the fact that there were lots of NSX and only few categorization.

may be if they had novice touring section, intermediate touring section, and modded NSX section.

may be this idea will bring smiles to some people out there..

Thanks for the kind words khuang. Most of us are just out there to have fun and appreciate different aspects of our NSX where we normally can't on the streets. Whatever future classes the event coordinators decide to split up is fine by me.

Khuang said:
Under SCCA rule the Zanardi is classified the same as a regular NSX. So there can not be a huge difference between the cars. Autocross and road course are very driver dependent. I am sure all the Zanardi's there that day did not finish 1,2 and 3. Also others have coil over suspension, race sway bars, etc. which is alot better than Zanardi's suspension.

I have known Nimbus for years and have seen him go to a new road course (he has never been there before) in a time trial event in street tires and run the fastest time of the day. I also have seen him won the SCCA regional autocross championship in his first year autocross and in the 2nd year, he pretty much won every event. I have seen his street legal NSX got kick out of GT class time trials since he was beating a ZR-1 which happens to be time trial coordinator.
The following is JMHO and is not ment to piss-off, insult, flame or belitte anyone. So don't start throwing $h!t back in my face - Thank you.
Motorsports is very driver dependant. It is the ability of an experienced driver to learn the track and the conditions that helps them win. As much as we amateurs would like to blame it on them having faster or better equipment, it is their capability. It's experience that wins races, not hardware. You could put someone like myself in the FlameMobile :)p dreaming :p) and most likely I would be a heck of alot slower than the Pulp Story Teller and he would probably kick my ass in my own car. In the past, I have beat guys in Moto-X and in Road Racing that had larger displacement engines and more HP. Just because I had more experience and cajones and it ticked them off to no end. I did mention the cajones factor! Some people have more than others and are willing to push the throttle that extra bit.
The Pulp Story Teller and Nimbus won the respective classes because of their superior driving ability. Instead of trying to change the rules and classes; lets applaude all of the winners and give credit where credit is due. :D :D :D

The autocross....

Thanks to John, Tina, Shelby, Liana and her Mom, and all the guys from the starters to the timers.... We had a great time!
When we got home I decided to take a look at my tires to see how they did....
Both rears were worn to the belts, and in some places through the belts....
Must have been that double 360 spin I did. :)

Joel 91 Black / Ivory

The price of happiness....

Two new rear tires................................... $500.00

Replace one broken rear wheel stud......... $200.00

Spinning twice at 50 MPH on the autocross
course......................................................... Priceless!! :D

akira3d said:

Just go with SCCA classification and rules for allowed mods. That would be most fair. SCCA does not separate the 3.2 from 3.0 or the Zanardi from the coupes from the T's.

But suspension mods beyond a certain level would bump your class.

It would make sense to have a street vs R tired separation of classes.

This was my first autox ever and I'd been waiting to push my car and myself in a control environment. I managed to spin my car 3 times and felt good about it. The satisfaction was that my time kept dropping. In fact I was stuck within a second in the first session. It was all a blur and I didn’t pay attention to the apex, accel, braking and driving line. In the second session I started lowering the rear tire pressures and experiment with different lines. My times got better. Finally I dropped the rear pressures to 34 psi hot and I got my fastest run of the day. Anyway the entire event was professionally run with unlimited supply of beverages to keep everyone cool in a hot summer day. I would like to thank all the organizers once again.

Should have had instructors help those of you who have never done this before...

I'll come instruct next time :) Just fly me over from Boston...

s2ktaxi said:
Should have had instructors help those of you who have never done this before...

I'll come instruct next time :) Just fly me over from Boston...

We had our resident instuctor on hand(Marc Weinberg), who gave instructions to quite a few individuals. Did we all look that bad? :confused:

ANYTIME said:
We had our resident instuctor on hand(Marc Weinberg), who gave instructions to quite a few individuals.
nobody told me. ...not that i needed it.:p

hey john-
do we ever get to see the results??
i would like to know how i did overall.

Back