• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The beginning of the end?

Ski_Banker

Suspended
Ok, so I've had my new '05 for about 3 months, and I have started to think recently that it isn't very fast anymore. :eek: This is the first real sports car I've had (coming from Integra "Special" ie, slow Edition) so it's not like I'm comparing it to 911T, etc. Is this the beginning of the end for me and my autobudget? Should I pre-enroll in a go-fast crackpipe recovery program? I didn't go NSX for speed, by the way, so my expectations weren't for a torque rocket.

One thing I've thought was that I purchased the car up North, in 40 degree weather and now it's 90. For a daily driver, would that temp change result in a noticeable difference around town? Jeez, I hope so or I'm screwed :wink: I haven't driven anything else recently either, so maybe I just don't have much to compare it to day to day.

Sell it, buy a Z06.

How fast do you want to go? Last time I checked, top end was around 175mph........:confused:

tbck2793 said:
How fast do you want to go? Last time I checked, top end was around 175mph........:confused:

I only *need* to go 88 mph :biggrin:

No way am I selling it for a vette or anything else. I absolutely love the car, just am surprised at how quickly I've gotten used to the speed (acceleration).

don't worry, i got used to it the day i bought it. and i came from a civic LX. i'd say get some forced induction..... or better yet.... for the same price, buy a bike. you're not gonna get faster than that.

Have you tried taking the car to a track yet (not a dragstrip, but an actual track). This usually cures most of the folks here. Makes you appreciate what the NSX is capable of much, much more.:cool:

The FI Brotherhood is always looking for new "addicts"; excuse me I meant to say members. Just remember our motto: more is never enough! :wink: :biggrin:

Bob

I was used to how fast the NSX goes, but I really learned to appreciate its speed when I was not driving it.

I was driving my SUV with a group of NSXers recently, and the NSXs just left me in the dust, and I had my pedal to the metal, trying to keep up.

The NSX is wickedly fast, but may not seem like it when you're in it all the time. This is why I'm glad I don't drive mine every day.

Bob Kenney said:
The FI Brotherhood is always looking for new "addicts"; excuse me I meant to say members. Just remember our motto: more is never enough! :wink: :biggrin:

Bob

LOL. Certainly wouldn't do anything anytime soon. I need to ride/drive a 3.2L CTSC sometime. Cheaper would be to drive my dusty, unused, inferiority-complex diseased Integra more often. Haha I literally have an entire dialogue written onto the dust on the hood of it negotiating a sale! (It is parked in an apt garage). I should take a pic - it's hilarious.

Very normal. The temp change does effect it a few % points, but the main point is this is your first sport scar, and it actually had a chance to feel fast. You adjust to this and your reactions become quicker. I have a 10 second sport bike that feels like it is getting slower everyday, even though when I first purchased it I was sure I could beat an airplane, from a 'roll' even!

If you didn't begin to get used to your car's performance, to a certain evolving degree, you'd be slow! If everyone didn't get used to their car's performance, there would be about 10 billion dollars saved on automobile modifications!

Be wary has others have mentioned, as you start modifying your car, it never stops. Your wallet or significant other may suppress you, but your yearning to build it faster will just grow. If you keep it stock, it's much easier to contain.

If you haven't given the car a few good rips to red line 1-3rd, that may wake you back up again. A trick a lot of people don't know is to let a friend drive while you are in the passenger seat, it feels like an entirely different beast when you are not inputing the controls and able to react to them beforehand.

FYI, I purchased my first sportbike about 3 years ago after I thought all cars would enevitably always feel 'slow' to me. Now look what I've done, 25k miles later I'm already at 1200cc and there isn't much more room to go up. I'll have to get into speed boats or racecars soon, and I'm way* too poor for that right now.

The NSX was never designed for straight line speed from traffic light to traffic light. It is a great handling exotic. Contact Chin Motorsports and drive her on the track to get over your doubts.

If that doesn't satisfy you, then get a different car - a sophisticated, incredibly balanced, high performance exotic is not for you. Viper maybe?

The NSX in the summer vs winter are two different cars. When it was like 50 outside, the car felt like a rocket, in 100, it feels slow. I would guess most cars do.

I think the CTSC is a great proven way to get you excited again. However, after you drive it for a few months, it too will feel slow.

Just give a superchaged car a try. Just once. Its not like its going to be bad for you. You can probably even get a free ride if you like.

It would be fun.

<evil crack dealer laugh> mmuuuuhhhhaaaaaahhhhahaaaahhhhaaaa</evil crack dealer laugh>

;)

Whats interesting is my daily commuter car is a 91 Integra closing in on 200k miles. So every weekend when I swap to the NSX I always feel the speed difference and never get tierd of it. :biggrin:

If I were you, I'd do just the opposite. I'd get a slower car - something good on gas and reliable - primary choice being a Civic.

I have a Civic sedan that I use to commute to and from the train station daily. It's peppy enough to keep me satisfied, handles well enough to drive through the curves on the local drive, and has the fuel economy that keeps my wallet happy. Whenever I drive my Supra or NSX on the weekends, it feels like the fastest thing in the world.

When I bought my first Supra way back when, it felt so fast, having stepped up from a Daewoo Nubira. As I daily drove the car, I started getting used to the speed, and it started to feel slow. So I bought a Prelude which kept me happy (was quick enough, handled well, better fuel economy) during the week. Slowly, the Supra started to feel fast again.

Bottom line, you probably got used to your NSX. The weather factors in too. The NSX is an incredible car and if you sold it, you might kick yourself later while trying to find one in as good condition as yours is.

yeah, if you get something faster, you're just going to adjust to that. i noticed if you're doing about 120 with the windows down.... there is so much wind in the car it feels like you're not in the car. pretty crazy. makes it feel like you're going faster. try it :smile:

Nothing gives perspective like driving a regular POS car. I drive my element everyday... when I used to get in my CL600 weekends I was blown away. I am sure the NSX will be the same way. If you drive it everyday... yeah you get used to it. Until you get into another car.

Hot weather definitely makes cars slower as does altitude.

And your eating all those twinkies may be a contributing factor. :biggrin:

Anyway stop being a girl and buy a CTSC. :tongue: You can have mine for $15,500.

You will get use to every power increase you do I have a 650whp car that I thought would just be insane to drive and now I am very use to it. I do daily drive it at 515whp which feels normal to me and the race gas and xtra 150 is a nice change but I am sure if it were there all the time it would feel normal to me too. It is amazing what humans can get use to and I dont just mean in cars. People get use to EVERYTHING! no matter how good or bad

Ski_Banker said:
Ok, so I've had my new '05 for about 3 months, and I have started to think recently that it isn't very fast anymore. :eek: This is the first real sports car I've had (coming from Integra "Special" ie, slow Edition) so it's not like I'm comparing it to 911T, etc. Is this the beginning of the end for me and my autobudget? Should I pre-enroll in a go-fast crackpipe recovery program? I didn't go NSX for speed, by the way, so my expectations weren't for a torque rocket.

One thing I've thought was that I purchased the car up North, in 40 degree weather and now it's 90. For a daily driver, would that temp change result in a noticeable difference around town? Jeez, I hope so or I'm screwed :wink: I haven't driven anything else recently either, so maybe I just don't have much to compare it to day to day.

I hate to say it, but it's not the warm weather (meaning if you've bought it here and have driven it only here in Miami, as I have. You wouldn't notice much of a diff. since temp is pretty static throughout the whole year). I use my NSX as my daily driver. A lot of great ideas from the rest of the group re: Supercharger. But , I must admit that I am extremely excited to feel SUCH A DIFFERENCE since I installed the Tubi and the Comptech Headers. I really didn't think it would make such a difference, but it most definitely has. Not sure if you're just looking for that fun "quick pick-up boost" (and not to mention, a nice <-no scratch that.......a 'BAD AZZ' sounding car--quite close to that of a Tiger. (Think "ROOOOAARRR") ;). Sometimes it can be as simple as adding something new to the car to reignite the excitement. I mean that could be from adding a system, I/H/E (although I opted against intake b/c of our amount of rain here, but use a unifilter), to full blown crazy SC or go to Vegas and leave your car with Factor X for a week. Everything I've read about that is just insane!! Well, Good luck..... You'll be hearing my Tubis soon, so maybe you'll try to be a copycat ;) or you get the SC or Factor X and I can sit and be jealous :biggrin: ;)

Last edited:
Back