• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Heroic Japanese Nuclear Power Plant Workers

All you have to do is ask yourself, "Could I do what they're doing, knowing my family depends on me and going in there will make me sick and probably kill me?" There's so much suffering it's all hard to watch. My hopes are with them all.

All you have to do is ask yourself, "Could I do what they're doing, knowing my family depends on me and going in there will make me sick and probably kill me?" There's so much suffering it's all hard to watch. My hopes are with them all.

You notice no one is offering to help them.
50 workers for 6 separate sites...

You notice no one is offering to help them.
50 workers for 6 separate sites...

It's not that there aren't more people working on this. I think they have/had 800 people working but because of the rising radiation levels, they are having to rotate personnel often and limit them to the absolute minimum.

Hell no, I'm in a Union! :biggrin:

I was in a union too, and if the job was considered dangerous or hazardous (asbestos, unstable construction, hostile environment, etc.) we didn't go in. But this situation takes it to another level :eek:! It boils down to sacrifice. At what level would you put yourself in danger to help others? I think that's a question every man should come to terms with - IMO. These workers know the sacrifice they're making and chose to make it. I salute them and hope that I'd be able to be as honorable and courageous. I hope I'm never put to such a test! I'm afraid I'd fail miserably. May their actions be a model we all look up to.

I work in the power industry and know of no other class of workers, in general, that are more intensely loyal, competent, and skilled in the power industry. Outside of a special forces operator, I don't think I've met anyone that takes their job more seriously.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for these guys.

I work in the power industry and know of no other class of workers, in general, that are more intensely loyal, competent, and skilled in the power industry. Outside of a special forces operator, I don't think I've met anyone that takes their job more seriously.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for these guys.

The words that come to mind are "awe" and "hero".... "gaman."

Last edited:
Hell no, I'm in a Union! :biggrin:

That is not even a little bit funny:mad:. How can you make fun of a situation like this. I like to have fun here on Prime too but would never cross that line.

I was in a union too, and if the job was considered dangerous or hazardous (asbestos, unstable construction, hostile environment, etc.) we didn't go in. But this situation takes it to another level :eek:! It boils down to sacrifice. At what level would you put yourself in danger to help others? I think that's a question every man should come to terms with - IMO. These workers know the sacrifice they're making and chose to make it. I salute them and hope that I'd be able to be as honorable and courageous. I hope I'm never put to such a test! I'm afraid I'd fail miserably. May their actions be a model we all look up to.

I agree. However, where are the "leaders"? The CEO and the executives are probably on their GV at FL410 on their way out of Japan. What do you think Tokyo Electric & Power is going to do when these guys die? I'll tell you what. They will make a huge deal out of it in the press, give their widows a nice plaque and then in 6 months when the media dies down they will terminate their pensions and cancel their health insurance and leave their families swinging in the wind.

This Captain, an't going down with the ship. F-that. I'll take care of my passengers, but I' wouldn't even piss on the plane if it was on fire to help my company.

Last edited:
That is not even a little bit funny:mad:. How can you make fun of a situation like this. I like to have fun here on Prime too but would never cross that line.

1st off, yes it was funny. And secondly, I cross all the lines. That is why I don't work for AFLAC.

1st off, yes it was funny. And secondly, I cross all the lines. That is why I don't work for AFLAC.

The response I would expect from YOU.

Back to topic.

Slightly off topic, but my wife made an excellent point the other night that I never thought of. Anyone notice there was no looting, violence ect. like there probably would be here. It just amazes me how different cultures react to catastrophic situations. Back on topic, I agree with the OP. They clearly have health issues in their future but but still continue to save the lives of others.

I think quite a few people have noticed that. Read an article that was on Drudge linked from the UK Telegraph about it as well. Where Europe and the US population would see rampant looting, there just isn't/wasn't any in Japan.

Here's the article: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100079703/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/

Saw a story on NHK yesterday where one noodle shop was serving free noodles to those that were hungry. The owner's house was swept away and he had been staying at a shelter.

See attached for the latest status on the reactors....

Dave
Dave, since you're in the industry can you help us understand exactly what are the risks are here? I feel like the media is over-hyping, yet sometimes you don't know if the Gov't is simply saying little to prevent panic. They say it can never be as bad as Chernobyl... or can it?

I just have no concept of the magnitude of this thing, it's embarrassing.

Dave, since you're in the industry can you help us understand exactly what are the risks are here? I feel like the media is over-hyping, yet sometimes you don't know if the Gov't is simply saying little to prevent panic. They say it can never be as bad as Chernobyl... or can it?

I just have no concept of the magnitude of this thing, it's embarrassing.

It's pretty frustrating watching and reading the media stories on this. Either the media sensationalizes this kind of stuff, or they completely screw up the information they're told when presenting it to us.

At first, it was obvious TEPCO was downplaying this, which I thought was "OK" since the poor Japanese have enough to worry about. Friday night I was on TEPCO's website reading their public disclosure documents directly. Saturday it became obvious they were screwed.

You only need two things for nuclear power plants to keep them safe: water, and a way to inject it where needed. They just had no way to inject water without power. That's why they had to depressurize their primary system down from ~1000psi to ~100psi so they could use portable fire pumps to inject water. Of course, depressurizing meant they vented steam and radioactive gases (and hydrogen of course) to their secondary containment building which caused an explosion. Power plants in the US have proceduralized steps to ensure venting doesn't approach the design limit for hydrogen combustability inside containment (4%). Japan probably does too, but they had to keep venting to reach the lower pressure necessary for the weak fire pumps to begin injecting water. They had no choice.

The reactor was the immediate concern to keep cool since it has the most energy from decay heat. The older, more dead fuel in their spent fuel pools just took longer to heat up the existing water in the pool and begin to boil off. They probably just lost sight of this in their battle with four reactors. With no power to alarm monitors, they didn't have blaring alarms telling them spent fuel pool temperatures were rising until they started boiling and slowly dropping level until the level reached the top of the fuel assemblies. Once that happens, you're screwed again until you can dump water in the pool and recover the fuel assemblies.

Now they say they have offsite power they're getting ready to rig up that might let them use the plant equipment. Problem is, will the plant equipment work after an earthquake that exceeded their design basis limit? Have they pumped the water out that submerged their switchgear? Will the temporary offiste power hold up to the high electrical demands that four units require?

They're certainly not out of this unfortunately.

Chernobyl was a graphite-moderated reactor, designed to produce plutonium. The fact that they could get electricity from it was a bonus. It wasn't regulated, wasn't maintained, wasn't operated properly, and wasn't designed properly (from a safety standpoint). The Japanese BWR's will not "explode" like Chernobyl, but there may be periodic venting of radioactive gas and possibly hydrogen explosions, and at worse case, bulk release of fission product gases from the fuel rods if they cannot be cooled. Effectively, that's like a "dirty bomb," but with significantly more radioactive material from all the fuel in the cores and spent fuel pools. It could be VERY bad. In that case, they would have to try and bury all the reactors and spent fuel pools with sand and concrete like Chernobyl. The Asian countries would be praying for windy conditions that blows the radioactive gases out to the Pacific. That could be bad too.

Look at this website. It's the most factual stuff you can read, and has good explanations of what's going on:
http://www.nei.org/newsandevents/information-on-the-japanese-earthquake-and-reactors-in-that-region/

:frown:

Dave

You have provided me with so many laughs over the years, if you're ever in the Boston area, I'm buying you a beer .... as long as you're not flying immediately after (unless you have your ass covered :)).

The selfless sacrifices they are providing to the people of Japan are truly admirable. I only wish the best for every single one of them.

Slightly off topic, but my wife made an excellent point the other night that I never thought of. Anyone notice there was no looting, violence ect. like there probably would be here. It just amazes me how different cultures react to catastrophic situations. Back on topic, I agree with the OP. They clearly have health issues in their future but but still continue to save the lives of others.

There are alot of videos and stories of how long lines for gas and food are forming but they all wait patiently and there is no kaos. I agree they are a model for others to follow

Tell that to all the 9/11 workers who volunteered after the towers fell :frown:

Not all unions are bad :cool:

Yes they are... But most union workers are good people.

Back