• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Long Ride North photography

Although already a thousand miles from home in Austin, our ride does not truly begin until we see the rocky mountains slowly rising out from the ground in northern New Mexico. We will follow these mountains as far north as they will grant us passage. We will sleep, eat, and ride all within the rocky mountains for over five thousand miles on our trip north alone.
IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

Through Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana. Through Yellowstone and Glacier.
IMG_5791.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

IMG_5869.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5835.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

Through the legendary Bear Tooth Pass of Wyoming
IMG_5897.jpg

IMG_5883.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

IMG_5917.jpg

IMG_5911.jpg

IMG_5902.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5939.jpg

Freezing temperatures, unrelenting rain, 50 mile per hour winds, hours of hail, no visibility.. we press on.
IMG_5925-1.jpg

Through Alberta and into British Columbia they grow taller and bear a more weathered appearance.
IMG_5988.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_5972.jpg

IMG_5967.jpg

The infamous Yukon territory of north west Canada trades you punishing weather and desolation for staggering views and the one and only road that gives you a chance at reaching Alaska.
The wonderful Alaskan "highway"
IMG_6014.jpg

IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6031.jpg

IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6114.jpg

IMG_5992.jpg

As autumn approaches the rain comes and rarely leaves. We went three days without seeing the sun or being dry.
IMG_6126.jpg

IMG_6119.jpg

IMG_6090-1.jpg

IMG_6088.jpg

It cleared up as we headed towards Tok from Anchorage. I saw more rainbows that day in a 200 mile stretch than I'd seen in my entire life.
IMG_6087.jpg

IMG_6084.jpg

On our way south we stopped by Haines and visited my friend's brother. We swapped out the motorbikes for propellers for a few days.
IMG_6142.jpg

IMG_6149.jpg

We followed the coast down and headed east across the desert.
IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6174.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

The desert heat crippled my machine so we rode the final 1,500 miles by night. Thanks to all those that helped us along the way and these pictures don't even come close to doing justice for the land we traveled through.

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Too bad I didn't know you were in San Francisco. Would have bought you dinner.:biggrin: In fact, you were less than five minutes from my house.

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Too bad I didn't know you were in San Francisco. Would have bought you dinner.:biggrin: In fact, you were less than five minutes from my house.

Dtrigg you might have just got yourself into a trap. I'll be back in San Francisco in about 3 days (4th through labor day). This time I'm going with the girl friend and I'll smell a lot better than I did the last time I was there.

Dtrigg you might have just got yourself into a trap. I'll be back in San Francisco in about 3 days (4th through labor day). This time I'm going with the girl friend and I'll smell a lot better than I did the last time I was there.

LOL! Cool. That photo is down in the Marina and I live at the top of the hill in Pacific Heights.:biggrin:

Love those pictures. How many people were traveling with you on your journey? Were they all on motorcycles?

Love those pictures. How many people were traveling with you on your journey? Were they all on motorcycles?

Hay Alan, we're all going to have dinner at your house when he and his girlfriend come to town.:biggrin::biggrin:

Just one friend and I, both on sport bikes. We camped most of the time and also cooked most of our own meals. It was crude but a few weeks living out of a motorcycle will modify your view of what "needs" are quite abruptly.

Through Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana. Through Yellowstone and Glacier.
IMG_5835.jpg
Thanks for sharing. Looks like an experience worth remembering for years to come. One other thing: This may sound stupid and probably because I am from the East but.....
Why is there a stop sign there? :confused:

Thanks for sharing. Looks like an experience worth remembering for years to come. One other thing: This may sound stupid and probably because I am from the East but.....

Because the side street it's on is intersecting a main thoroughfare. Stopping prevents accidents. :biggrin:

Because the side street it's on is intersecting a main thoroughfare. Stopping prevents accidents. :biggrin:
I understand, but it's a main thoroughfare in which you can see for miles in all directions. In reality, in those situations, isn't it better to just be "alert" and go when nothing is coming. I can only imagine two situations where there may be a problem and they are remote:
1: At night a Tesla (electric no sound) with headlights not working.
2: A Bugatti Vehron traveling at speeds unknown to man, so that whatever you see may not be what it seems. :eek:

What tires were you running? How did they hold up?

I left on basically brand new Road Attacks. Lasted the entire trip. I figured with 200hp the rear would probably need replacing in anchorage and had already set that up but it turned out the tire was still good. It's dual compound and the rear is pretty wore out after the last 1500+ miles plus of flat interstate.

The green bike is a ninja 500r.

The photo is taking from a small pull off zone so people don't stop and take pictures on the main road. With RV's etc. flying all around it's probably not a bad idea to make sure they pause before getting back on the road. That was in yellowstone so it's more crowded, on regular roads there wouldn't be a stop sign there.

Back